Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RTS tie rod assembly

Tie rod assembly one tie rod end has play in dealer says I have replace the whole assembly anyone have this issue why can't you just replace the tie rod ends

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RudyB View Post
    Tie rod assembly one tie rod end has play in dealer says I have replace the whole assembly anyone have this issue why can't you just replace the tie rod ends
    The tie rod is sold as an assembly, the ends are not available individually.

FWIW, when I took a moment to look at Can Ams online part book, the part number for the 2014 and prior is discontinued. Oddly it did not supercede to the 2015 and after part number. Hope there are not additional changes needed to fit the new PN if the old PN is not available.

Spyder Garage

Question on the rod end itself. If the rod end uses a bolt through it, you might go to either Chief aircraft or aircraft spruce and speciality and you can find aircraft quality rodends in metric and sae. You should be able to find what you need, all you need to know is the thread and hole size.

Glld luck.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dc8cappie View Post
    Question on the rod end itself. If the rod end uses a bolt through it, you might go to either Chief aircraft or aircraft spruce and speciality and you can find aircraft quality rodends in metric and sae. You should be able to find what you need, all you need to know is the thread and hole size.

Glld luck.
    It is not an aircraft style rod end, these are swaged automotive style tie rod ends.

If the tie rod end is worn, seems complete tie rod replacement is the easy solution.

A good mechanic with proper tools can reset the new tie rod to proper length saving the cost of alignment, but don’t expect that to happen.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    It is not an aircraft style rod end, these are swaged automotive style tie rod ends.

If the tie rod end is worn, seems complete tie rod replacement is the easy solution.

A good mechanic with proper tools can reset the new tie rod to proper length saving the cost of alignment, but don’t expect that to happen.
    If the tierod uses a bolt, that was my question, then an aircraft spec tierod end of the right thread I’m sure will work and is of a better quality then an automotive spec.

PS I’m not home so I can’t look at the tierod end to say for sure.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    ...FWIW, when I took a moment to look at Can Ams online part book, the part number for the 2014 and prior is discontinued. Oddly it did not supercede to the 2015 and after part number. Hope there are not additional changes needed to fit the new PN if the old PN is not available.
    Based on my experience with my dealership's parts guys in trying to get the hex bolts that hold the front brake calipers to the steering knuckle assemblies on my '14, which, like the tierod part number, are listed as not available, it was because of a part number change that BRP made but apparently did not go back and correct on prior MYs when they change a part number that spans multiple MYs. The same situation exists with online operator's guides. If they find errors in the orignally printed guides they don't go back and change the errors in the online manuals. Witness the business with initial oil fill quantity for the 1330 engine when it first appeared. The '14 online guides are still wrong.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Just had the tie rods replace on my 2017 and they came only as an assembly. Rods and ends.

CJ JAX

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dc8cappie View Post
    If the tierod uses a bolt, that was my question, then an aircraft spec tierod end of the right thread I’m sure will work and is of a better quality then an automotive spec.

PS I’m not home so I can’t look at the tierod end to say for sure.
    The tierod does not use a separate bolt through it. The threaded portion of the tierod is the swaged part that is press fitted into the knuckle assemble when you tighten the nut.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S