Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bike to neutral

Spyder Garage

Default Bike to neutral

Has anyone noticed that the bike , the RT , shifts into neutral when coming to a stop . It only does this about 5 persent of the time , but it is aggrating when the light changes , and you are in no go mode . I am verry careful to make sure I do not toutch the brake petal ,so thats not the problem . This did happen on my last RT also . Anyone else experience this?

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
    Has anyone noticed that the bike , the RT , shifts into neutral when coming to a stop . It only does this about 5 persent of the time , but it is aggrating when the light changes , and you are in no go mode . I am verry careful to make sure I do not toutch the brake petal ,so thats not the problem . This did happen on my last RT also . Anyone else experience this?
    The only time mine has done that is when I am listening to music. I though thats a strange coincidence. Then I figured it out. I was tapping my fingers on the grips in time to the music and bumping the paddle every now and then.
    Moved my hand away from that grip at Lights and then back as I take off and it has never happened again.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Never
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2015 and it has never did it.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

2018 rtl and it has never done this.
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My 2015 RT-S has never done this. It does, however, have the peculiar habit when I'm slowing down of timing a downshift as I bump across a RR track. It seems the mild concussion causes it to shift slightly earlier than it otherwise would.

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
    2003 F250 SuperDuty
    American Saddlebred Horses

Spyder Garage

2014 RT-S SE6 here, and never has this happened. I’m thinking that you must inadvertantly be touching the paddle. JMHO WTFDIK
    Bruce

2014 RTS-SE6
    Tri-Axis Handlebars
    Sena BT Dongle
    Sirius Radio
    Dash bar
    Show Chrome Trunk Rack

"You know that a politician is lying if his lips are moving"

Spyder Garage

Nope.My 2012 RT never has.
    Last edited by GOZFST; 09-27-2018 at 08:00 PM.
    Bob S

Spyder Garage

Default Doesn't shift to neutral.

Quote Originally Posted by gerald37 View Post
    I have a 2015 and it has never did it.
    Mine has started to not shift to neutral when I shut off the ignition. It will not shift to neutral when I try to start it so it will not let it start unless I use the foot brake. Any ideas?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by joekeys View Post
    Mine has started to not shift to neutral when I shut off the ignition. It will not shift to neutral when I try to start it so it will not let it start unless I use the foot brake. Any ideas?
    Mine has not ever shifted to neutral when I shut off the ignition. If it is in 1st when I turn off the ignition, the next time I turn on the ignition it is still in 1st. When I then press the brake pedal and start the engine, as soon as it starts it automatically shifts into neutral. It's been doing this unfailingly for 46K miles. That's what it's supposed to do. If I want it to be in neutral once I've shut off the engine, I must shift it into neutral before I shut it off.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not ours. (shifting to neutral at a stop) I'd say something is up, not a desireable tendancy. We're starting to talk about 2 different things ?
    Last edited by Saluda; 09-28-2018 at 06:23 AM.

Spyder Garage

Never on my '13 in 24,000 miles. +1 on maybe inadvertently downshifting manually somehow?
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

All of my Spyders have done that almost every time I stop.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

What JayBros says. You're seeing normal behavior.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member ottawa-rider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My buddy and i, we both had 2014's and it would happen every now and then.

Buddy upgraded to a 2017 last year and it also does it sometime.

I now have a 2018 and it has not done it yet.
    2018 RT LTD , Black

Spyder Garage

I can get my 2013 RT (& some other SE's too!) to disengage the clutch while at reasonable speed by rolling the throttle back until the engine is in a 'neutral throttle' state, where the finely balanced revs mean it's not driving OR engine braking.... and if I slow then coast to a stop with a neutral throttle like that it can sometimes shift the box into Neutral.... Not that I do this often, but when I do it can be a bit annoying sometimes, cos once the clutch disengages, the computer doesn't readily let you re-engage any gear while your SE is moving at anything more than a few mph!! I suspect this 'neutral throttle clutch disengage' thing is what's happening to you meerkat, and then once or when that happens, the computer 'tries to guess' what your lack of definite control inputs might be leading to, so it sometimes erroneously selects Neutral as you gently let your SE coast to a stop without the clutch engaged....

Simple solution I've found tho (especially since the gearbox actually IS still a manual gearbox, only with the addition of a computer controlled auto downshift fail-safe & a Centrifugal or Electro/Hydraulic clutch) is to just use the flappy paddles as they were designed & intended to be used and actively change down thru each gear as you slow until you are in first; and then use your foot on the brake pedal to come to a complete stop & hold it there! By using the paddles and changing down, you are effectively retaining control of your vehicle the whole time and not leaving the computer free to bring that 'fail-safe downshift' followed sometimes by a 'best guess change into neutral' thing into play....

While it's a pretty good thing and even pretty good at what it does, the computer is quite simply, not as smart or adaptable as a person can be; it can only work with what it's been programmed to do, & if you don't clearly indicate what you intend by using the controls you have access to in order to tell it, then sometimes it's gonna get it wrong! Use the flappy paddles to tell it when & where to change down - it won't let you damage anything if you try too soon, and it'll always know you want to go 'down' rather than into neutral when you stop, cos that takes a different paddle movement! And if you get it wrong every now & then & haven't changed down when you should've, it's even got a 'fail-safe downshift' programmed in to save the engine, clutch, or gearbox from any potential damage!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-27-2018 at 10:57 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Semi bikes go into neutral when you shut the engine off even if it was left in 1st. Can't figure out how to pop it into neutral while moving. Don't think it can be put in neutral if you're not using the brake pedal. Not sure about the earlier RT's though.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    The Semi bikes go into neutral when you shut the engine off even if it was left in 1st.
    Mine doesn't, and never has. If it was in gear when I turned the ignition off then I have to depress the brake in order to start it. Then, in an instant it shifts into neutral. If I put it into neutral before turning off the ignition it will start without depressing the brake.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I agree. Mine is the same, and once home, and safely in the garage, I do shift it into neutral prior to shutting it off.
    Bruce

2014 RTS-SE6
    Tri-Axis Handlebars
    Sena BT Dongle
    Sirius Radio
    Dash bar
    Show Chrome Trunk Rack

"You know that a politician is lying if his lips are moving"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010, 2014, and 2018 RTs...
    They all stayed in gear; until I put them into neutral.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Between my wife and we've had 4 RTLs and none of them have done that.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

SOP standard operating procedure.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

SE models cannot shift themself into neutral after the key is turned off. Also cannot shift into neutral before starting the engine. It is just impossible. The HCM uses hydraulic pressure to shift the gears. That hydraulic pressure is provided by the HCM oil pump. The oil pump is driven by the engine. When the engine is not running there is no oil pressure.

The requirement for your foot to be on the brake pedal when starting in gear or the ECM will not allow the starter to work. Is an extra step BRP programmed in. I will guess was done for safety reasons. Maybe in case there was a stuck clutch.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

All four of the SE's have never went into neutral when downshifting to a stop. I let the do the downshifting on the SE's and it always stops at first.

Neutral can be shifted into with a very gently tap on the reverse paddle for 1 to N. Or...from reverse to N then a very gentle tap on the + paddle.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Maybe the hydraulic actuator is not fully ingaging the transmission into gear. After engaging first,go down (you might need a wench) see if you can move the lever farther towards engage. If you can might be why it can bounce back to N.