Thread: Trailer Shake

Spyder Garage

Default Trailer Shake

I recently purchased a used RT 622 trailer along with a used F3L. We had to drive to Springfield and get them but on the return to Texas I was following my in the car with her on the Spyder and noticed the trailer shake side to side at hyway speed. Sometimes it would smooth out but when It did the shake I could see it shake the spyder. It was empty at the time except for the Stock seat. Is this normal and if not, what can I do to fix it.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The hitch is on the swing arm it will bounce up and down. Side to side is wind that causes that issue

Spyder Garage

Did the trailer still have OE Spec Kenda tires on it?? If so, then I'd be getting the rims checked for 'true' & the tires checked for tread, ply, & construction defects likely to cause vibrations VERY CAREFULLY & also have them spin balanced properly by someone with the correct sized hub adaptors!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I had an issue with a shake on my trailer -- not with a BRP trailer -- and it was the nut on the wheel bearing was not quite tight enough so it was a wobble. I agree with above about checking the balance of the tire -- but before you pull the tire off see if there is any play with the tire attached. There shouldn't be.
    --
    Bob L.
    Worcester County Massachusetts
    www.rk-mass2.org

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You stated that a stock seat was in the trailer. If it moved so that more weight was behind the axle than in front of it, that will cause the trailer to shake side to side.
    the majority of the weight should be from over the axle and then forward.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

We took a break in Feyetville and I transfered all our luggage to the trailer to give it more weight. Then I took over the Spyder from there to Texas. It seemed to help some. It was not moch luggage though but added a little more weight. Riding it for the first time I took it threw some nice twisties and thought it did well. It was just when we got back on the main road at a higher speed that I did feel some wobble. I was cruising around 75.
    The Spyder does have a BRP hitch BTW
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

As suggested, check the tires for condition and balance. The trailer is light enough that you can lift and set the trailing arm on a milk crate to check.

Not sure what year trailer you have, but I believe certain years have bulletins or recalls on the hubs. I know our trailer, had new hubs, bearings, wheels and tires replaced by the dealer just prior to us buying it from the original owner. Thought he said replaced under a TSB.

Also, if not installed, ensure the trailer ground kit upgrade has been done.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    As suggested, check the tires for condition and balance. The trailer is light enough that you can lift and set the trailing arm on a milk crate to check.

Not sure what year trailer you have, but I believe certain years have bulletins or recalls on the hubs. I know our trailer, had new hubs, bearings, wheels and tires replaced by the dealer just prior to us buying it from the original owner. Thought he said replaced under a TSB.

It is a 2013 622 trailer. Before leaving I checked air pressure and tire condition. I do not know what pressure the tires are supposed to run on so i set them to 30 PSI. The tread seemed good but the shape of the tires seemed like they were ballooned out some. The Owner claimed the trailer had very low miles.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Default Curious on your year

Can ask the year of your trailer? I never thought to see if my 2010 had any recalls or service bulletins pending.....

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post

2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brentc View Post
    Can ask the year of your trailer? I never thought to see if my 2010 had any recalls or service bulletins pending.....
    Ours is a 2012 if I remember correctly.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Check hub bearings and wheel balance then. Mine is smooth and don't really notice it behind me

Spyder Garage

My 622 has 26#s tongue weight when empty. I find that it tracks best when the tongue weight is at 26 or slightly above. (I carry a fish scale because I'm anal). I keep my tire pressure at 35. Some have their pressures higher. I also have the trailer shocks set for the second softest setting. My usual payload is about 100#s and I only notice the trailer wiggling when my tongue weight is off by a noticeable amount
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    It is a 2013 622 trailer. Before leaving I checked air pressure and tire condition. I do not know what pressure the tires are supposed to run on so i set them to 30 PSI. The tread seemed good but the shape of the tires seemed like they were ballooned out some. The Owner claimed the trailer had very low miles.
    Sticker inside left wheel well. 35#. Can download operators guide here. Select Roadster, then select Accessories.

http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/I...0-5c6c4f9dce95

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Need more weight in the front to get better tongue weight. Not sure if the suspension is adjustable but I so then lower it to give it more drag.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Isn't the shocks adjustable too on the 622's?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Isn't the shocks adjustable too on the 622's?
    Yes. As I said in my previous post, I have mine set to the second softest setting
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Empty trailers will shake and bounce. Loaded trailers bounce and shake. It depends on how their loaded. Usually 60/40 is the best way. But the wind, roads and the vehicle pulling it can change the way it acts also. But the placement of what your hauling in the trailer makes a world of difference on how it acts. Like I said the 60 percent on the front and 40% on the rear has always worked the best for me.Happy Trails.

Spyder Garage

One more thought.....Make sure your rear tire is aired up correctly. Any little wiggle in your rear will magnify to your trailer. I could feel the trailer much more when I had the Kenda on the back. The flex of that tire caused trailer movement. CTs all but eliminated that.
    Semper Fi