Spyder Garage

Default 175/55 or 165/60

I know there are lots of threads on this but wanted to be sure if they work well with my 2015 F3s ? Followed someone elses good fortune with a tire size only to find it was too big for my bike ! Shocker ! That was a rear and this is ofcourse fronts.

Spyder Garage

Not all 175/55-15 are the same dimensions.

That said, we have sold and installed many sets of Yokohama Avid S34FA in this size and they fit perfectly with all 3 fender types.
    We keep these in stock as we sell a pretty fair number of them.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I have a set of Vredestein's in that size 175/55 R15 on my 2015 F3s and they fit with no issues.

BTW they are fantastic!
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the help. Now I don't have to worry.

Spyder Garage

Default jcthorne

You said not all 175/55/15 are the same size how can that be?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MrBones View Post
    I always joke around saying the tape measures at different manufacturers are different sizes. It’s true tho. I think it is similar to how some manufacturers have tighter tolerances on their parts than other manufacturers.

As for tire sizes being different, a good example is a dunlop E3 250 rear tire sometimes used on the M109R is wider than a Metzeler 260 on the same wheel. There are also tires of the same width where the shorter aspect ratio is actually a taller tire then the one with the taller ratio.
    2016 F3T SM6 - Wife's Bike - Blank Canvas
    2017 Kawasaki Concours 14
    2016 Victory Magnum - Mods in progress
    2013 Suzuki M109R - Has a few mods

Spyder Garage

How can the size differences come to be?? Well..... apart from what Posiedon suggested (which I feel is a distinct possibility!! ) the size printed on the sidewall is only a NOMINAL size, so there can be some differences either way due to that just being the closest nominal size the manufacturer thought was suitable, and they might have all sorts of reasons for going up or down to pick THAT particular size!!

But then there are also often REAL differences in the way some manufacturers arrive at the closest size in the first place!! Some manufacturers assemble the tire to the carcass level & then use whichever nominal size is closest to that as the basis for the size, THEN they add the tread layer, & the tread plies can easily add 18mm or 3/4 of an inch to the rolling RADIUS, which can mean a 36mm or 1.4" difference OR MORE in the rolling diameter - and that can vary significantly depending on what type of tread plies/pattern is being applied!! Other manufacturers might assemble the tire the whole way, & use the carcass PLUS the tread plies to form the basis of their sizing. The largest variation I personnally have encountered was an extreme Mud tire that was a little over 50mm/2" LARGER in diameter than the nominal size printed on the sidewall, but some of the other tire testers/drivers I've worked with have told me of tires with even greater variances - and these variances aren't always LARGER than the nominal sizes; I have seen quite a few tires that were somewhat smaller than their nominal sidewall size!!

So while the nominal sizes might be a good start for initial comparison purposes, before you commit/spend your hard earned $$, you are best to look at/compare physical dimensions &/or measurements like the actual tire rolling diameter or maybe even something like the number of revs per mile - any PHYSICAL measurement from the tire's specs is going to be far more reliable than just comparing or going by the Nominal sizing printed on the sidewall. Or you could only choose from those tires and sizes that others have already tried successfully on their Spyders... but you need to match brands, nominal sizes, tire types, tread patterns, everything, or there might just be too much difference!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-08-2018 at 01:34 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MrBones View Post

For the same reason a 2x4 is not 2" by 4". The size numbers are nominal. Not actual dimensions. For actual dimensions of specific tires, the manufactures publish that data but its different between brands and between lines within brands.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    I have a set of Vredestein's in that size 175/55 R15 on my 2015 F3s and they fit with no issues.

BTW they are fantastic!
    Those have a inside and outside tread pattern. Stupid question #1 - is that a problem as it would have one mounted "backward" and one mounted forward?

Image1.jpg
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

The tire is not directional. The side with the slanted and s shaped ribs is supposed to be mounted to the inside on all wheels according to Vredestein.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Beaudog View Post
    The tire is not directional. The side with the slanted and s shaped ribs is supposed to be mounted to the inside on all wheels according to Vredestein.

I agree. This is how mine are mounted
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Is all I have to say except thanks for the info.

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Beaudog View Post
    Thanks. A picture is better.

Image1.jpg
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey