Spyder Garage

Question How to Repair Seat Seam Stitching?

The driver's seat on my RT-SE5 has an issue. The seam stitching has come apart in some areas, creating gaps where the pieces used to butt tightly together. I don't have the skill to restitch the seams, so what do I do? I've considered gluing a piece of black leather over the area where the stitches have come apart, but that will just be a band-aid solution (and will look pretty scraggily). I could bring it to an upholstery shop, I suppose, but it would be a small project, and they might not want it. The seat doesn't need to be replaced. Its still firm and comfortable...but the broken seam stitches will only get worse over time. Any suggestions?

Spyder Garage

You could try "saddle stitching" it. One piece of waxed thread--a leather repair item--two curved needles--one on each end of the thread. Use the current holes--unless they are torn out. If torn out--make new ones.

Insert one needle and pull the thread until the needles are the same distance apart. Then, just go through the holes making "X" stitches--like lacing a shoe--one at a time left side/right side of the tear--when you get to the end of the rip--backstitch a couple holes. Cut the thread off flush with the seat.

In most cases--the repair is invisible. If not--glue a piece of leather over the repair with PERMANENT leather glue. Repair should take about 10 minutes and cost about $5 if you do it yourself. Just a piece of leather covering the holes-- will not make a permanent repair.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    You could try "saddle stitching" it. One piece of waxed thread--a leather repair item--two curved needles--one on each end of the thread. Use the current holes--unless they are torn out. If torn out--make new ones.

Insert one needle and pull the thread until the needles are the same distance apart. Then, just go through the holes making "X" stitches--like lacing a shoe--one at a time left side/right side of the tear--when you get to the end of the rip--backstitch a couple holes. Cut the thread off flush with the seat.

In most cases--the repair is invisible. If not--glue a piece of leather over the repair with PERMANENT leather glue. Repair should take about 10 minutes and cost about $5 if you do it yourself. Just a piece of leather covering the holes-- will not make a permanent repair.
    Thank you that is very good information to have. It is not happening to my seat yet,but as I have several lengths of seam with worn out stitching I will be needing it. A good winter prevention project.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Thank you that is very good information to have. It is not happening to my seat yet,but as I have several lengths of seam with worn out stitching I will be needing it. A good winter prevention project.
    Pro-active and a winter project go hand in hand.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

This is exactly what I did to a leather vest. It worked out great. Search YouTube for sewing leather, lots of good advice there. Buy some leather repair material with pre-glued backing and a leather sewing kit on Amazon. The pre-glued backing holds everything together as you sew and makes the job much easier.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Great idea! My fingers aren't very nimble but I can probably manage the sewing. I'll check at Hobby Lobby to see if they have the curved needles and waxed thread. THANKS

Spyder Garage

Pro-active and a winter project go hand in hand.
    My Spyder spends its life outside...no inside space/garage available...so I'll want to get this done before winter. Without a covered, enclosed space to work in, I can't really do any winter projects on the bike. But on the plus side, I can ride until temps fall to freezing and below.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by solidgranite View Post
    My Spyder spends its life outside...no inside space/garage available...so I'll want to get this done before winter. Without a covered, enclosed space to work in, I can't really do any winter projects on the bike. But on the plus side, I can ride until temps fall to freezing and below.
    Once you get the needles and thread, it is a five minute job.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by solidgranite View Post
    Great idea! My fingers aren't very nimble but I can probably manage the sewing. I'll check at Hobby Lobby to see if they have the curved needles and waxed thread. THANKS
    Some hardware stores also have the waxed thread and curved needles. The curved needles help you to get into the tight places.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 09-27-2018 at 04:46 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks Everyone! Problem Solved!

Thanks for the great ideas on how to repair the seam stitching on my seat. I ended up going to Hobby Lobby, and buying two pieces of leather that matched the color and texture of my seat. I cut them to shape, and glued them in place with Gorilla Glue. It looks fine, and should hold for a very long time.

I also picked up a set of curved needles and waxed thread in case i need to do some minor stitching in places where a leather "patch" just won't work.

Again, thanks for the suggesions!