Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You're gonna get there, and it'll be GREAT!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default It's NOT you

I've been riding motorcycles for 50 years and experienced the same twitching of the spyder in the curves as you. You will find out from reading various blogs that to resolve the biggest part of the issue will be various upgrades you will need to make to the spyder. For me the first upgrade was to get the BajaRon anti sway bar. It resolved a good 80-90% of the performance in curves and on expressways and interstate. The next thing was to lower tire pressure in all 3 tires. I've read from other blog entries that the next thing people upgrade is tires and shocks. So it could be a slow process. I'm still not as comfortable riding above 60 mph as I would like but will get there. So, take your time and get comfortable with what feels safe to you. Don't try to do things with a group that is beyond your comfort level.

Spyder Garage

All the tips given are taught in BASIC Motorcycle/Trike training course.
    Many states have these classes available at a local community college.

Nothing to lose by checking it out.

Your loved ones will thank you.

AJ
    Quote Originally Posted by frj322 View Post
    Hi folks,
    Well, its been a week or so with the new F3S and I've ridden it around 150 miles or so. Haven't had it on the interstate yet but I've briefly had it up to 65 MPH and, other than the wind (no windshield) I'm getting more and more used to traveling at speed. What'e bothering me is the curves. More specifically, the gradual higher speed variety. There are several roads on the way to work that are very twisty (25-35 MPH) speed limit and, after several repetitions those are no problem. What seems to be causing me an issue are the higher speed (45-50 MPH) speed limit curves. I just can't seem to bring myself to take these at the posted limit, always have to slow down to well under. For some reason this seems to be worse on right hand curves (probably psychological). I've done a thread search and come up with mostly tire pressure, laser alignment, sway bar etc but I don't believe this to be the case as the bike does feel rock-solid and track perfectly straight and doesn't wander at all. The issue at hand appears to me me (or my mind, or IN my mind). So, how does one overcome the fear of tipping this thing over on high speed (albeit gentle) curves?

Just an FYI-this is my first open-air vehicle of any kind at all, no previous two-wheel experience so no countersteering to "un-learn".

Thanks in advance...
    Frank

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by frj322 View Post
    Hi folks,
    Thanks so much for all the replies and advice!
    So, I rode home last night, making sure to at least weight the outside pegs for sure. Tried my best to over-exaggerate the lean and line up my head with the inside arm and it did feel much better. It felt stable at least. I'm not really sure what happened with my knees (this is a LOT to process at once for sure). It did feel better for me this way and I'm getting more confident, still slightly shaken when I got home but I think that was from the wind more than anything else. Again, these are all brand-new sensations for me as I have absolutely NO previous motorcycle or ATV experience whatsoever. The last time I rode anything at all like this I was a teenager (49 now) and it was one of the old Honda 3 wheelers. I got VERY good at tipping that thing over...
    I'm nearly 50 myself, and with no previous motorcycle experience. Practice, and honestly there's no need to over push things until you feel you are ready. I did the interstate, when I was ready. I did the twisties, when I was ready. Until then I rode a fairly straight < 50 mph highway, just until the speed felt comfortable. same with curves.

things will click, and you'll continue to play with how your body and the bike feel together even after that. You got this!

PS: The above poster reminded me. I did the 3 wheel endorsement class offered through Can-am. Highly recommend it. Safe place to get comfortable. They really did teach me some stuff, I don't think I would have learned the "normal" way. Drifting is one example that comes to mind.
    (plus some insurances use that you've taken the course and give you a discount)
    2017 F3-L Intense red "Wings"
    Spyderpops Spyclops Light
    Tric LED Headlights and Fog lights
    Madstad Windshield
    Phoenix - Wrap My Spyder
    Lamonster Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Rich's Custom Seats
    2017 F3-L , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks again folks,
    Going to ride to work this morning and try again on the road that unnerved me so badly the other day. We'll see how that goes... My wife and both took the CanAm rider education course around a month or so I guess. It was a great class but was really only for low speed stuff (at least the way we were taught anyway). Really no way to experience the higher speed curves unless you get out there and do it.
    2018 F3S , Black