Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Cost of a YUASA battery

I just bought a YTX24HL-BS battery this is the Yuasa brand ( NOT the similar Motocross model ) & used for all late model Spyders ….. It came with the acid separate, so I will fill it and charge it myself ( easy peasy ) when mine fails …… I paid $106.00 delivered. This way I know it will be charged correctly, if Batteries aren't properly charged it has a definite effect on their life.... I got it on E-bay. If you want the item # ….PM me ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Good deal.

Great deal Mike. I got the same one on Amazon about a month or two ago and paid about $28.00 more. But then I did need it "NOW" cause mine died and did not want to loose ryding time... Like I can ryde anytime but I do like instant gratification.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Not saying this happened, but have read several times now where Chinese companies are making bogus batteries. Supposedly Duracell and others are now copied and made to look like the real stuff, but sell for considerably less. With use the batteries fail early.

Recently, needed to replace some batteries in a device. Opened the pack of Duracells, still years within expiration date, every one of them was dead, like 0 volts and some were leaking fluid. New in the package, and not expired.

Spyder Garage

All good information above.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default BATTERY REAL OR FAKE

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Not saying this happened, but have read several times now where Chinese companies are making bogus batteries. Supposedly Duracell and others are now copied and made to look like the real stuff, but sell for considerably less. With use the batteries fail early.

Recently, needed to replace some batteries in a device. Opened the pack of Duracells, still years within expiration date, every one of them was dead, like 0 volts and some were leaking fluid. New in the package, and not expired.
    Well this is the best copy of anything I have ever encountered …… The Acid comes from Taiwan and supplied to the Yuasa co. , the instructions states it was Printed in the USA. On the Duracells - how do you know they were copies ??? .… and come from China ??? ….That info stating it is a FAKE generally doesn't appear anywhere if it's a Fake …… Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 09-18-2018 at 03:12 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Well this is the best copy of anything I have ever encountered …… The Acid comes from Taiwan and supplied to the Yuasa co. , the instructions states it was Printed in the USA. On the Duracells - how do you know they were copies ??? .… and come from China ??? ….That info generally doesn't appear anywhere if it a Fake …… Mike
    I had no way to tell except they were a bargain price compared to usual Duracells, and then the batteries died before the printed date on them.

Typically, tne package does not state it is a counterfiet chinese copy...

Hope yours is real Yuasa. Seems the Chinese will copy, and poorly copy just about anything.

Spyder Garage

Am I crazy for purchasing the free batteries for as long as I own our Spyder for $160 from our dealer?

Spyder Garage

For most folks, the factory activated battery is the correct one. The -BS that ships dry is not recommended for Spyders and will die an early death if not activated properly. The spyder charging system will not. Just buy the right one.

Odyssey makes a great, made in usa, exact fit, factory activated battery for the Spyder as well.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Streaker View Post
    Am I crazy for purchasing the free batteries for as long as I own our Spyder for $160 from our dealer?
    Recommended change is every three to four years. How long are you going to keep it?

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Until it dies or I do most likely.
    I've still got my 2006 Kawasaki Mean Streak and 2008 Suzuki GSX650F. Also have a 2015 Victory Magnum that isn't going anywhere. He who dies with the most toys wins!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default Batteries

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Recommended change is every three to four years. How long are you going to keep it?
    Why don't you get a gel battery? Have always used them in my HD's. Gel batteries and acid based batteries are very different. I would suggest only using a Gel based battery. My 2017 F3L Spyder is too new for a replacement battery.... Am I wrong here?? Polly

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderPolly View Post
    Why don't you get a gel battery? Have always used them in my HD's. Gel batteries and acid based batteries are very different. I would suggest only using a Gel based battery. My 2017 F3L Spyder is too new for a replacement battery.... Am I wrong here?? Polly

The gel in a battery is acid based and basically the same as a lead acid battery. The acid is formulated as a gel to make it maintenace free.
    George

2017 BMW R1200R

Spyder Garage

Well this is the best copy of anything I have ever encountered …… The Acid comes from Taiwan and supplied to the Yuasa co. , the instructions states it was Printed in the USA. On the Duracells - how do you know they were copies ??? .… and come from China ??? ….That info stating it is a FAKE generally doesn't appear anywhere if it's a Fake …… Mike
    As a thought, if the battery has a Warranty Card, submitting that is a good indicator. Obviously a bogus battery would have no Warranty Card. Just a thought. No idea if they copy Yuasa batteries, and hope yours is real.

Spyder Garage

Was not aware, but did a quick Google search, yes, it seems Yuasa batteries are now not all made by Yuasa and low quality Chinese almost copies are out there.

http://honda-superdream.co.uk/thread...-yuasa-battery

Spyder Garage

Default Chinese knock -offs

Was not aware, but did a quick Google search, yes, it seems Yuasa batteries are now not all made by Yuasa and low quality Chinese almost copies are out there.

http://honda-superdream.co.uk/thread...-yuasa-battery
    Question , if your hypothesis is correct ….. how do we know the Yuasa batteries that are in any or all new Spyders aren't knock-offs ?????? …………. Mike

Spyder Garage

Question , if your hypothesis is correct ….. how do we know the Yuasa batteries that are in any or all new Spyders aren't knock-offs ?????? …………. Mike
    Pretty certain BRP does oem sales. Sales from one known oem to another. Not like BRP will go to the auto parts store and order a pallet of batteries.

As I said, hope it is the real deal. Actually was a bit surprised at the number of topics for counterfiet Yuasa batteries the popped up on the Google search.

Spyder Garage

That post I linked, the buyers indicated the low quality batteries had rounded posts, wherethe Yuasa had square posts. The topic is a couple years old, but that might be an indicator, or maybe not.

Spyder Garage

Default PRETY CERTAIN

Pretty certain BRP does oem sales. Sales from one known oem to another. Not like BRP will go to the auto parts store and order a pallet of batteries.

As I said, hope it is the real deal. Actually was a bit surprised at the number of topics for counterfiet Yuasa batteries the popped up on the Google search.
    Well I'm more than " pretty certain " about this …. The day I bought my 2014 RT from a certified BRP dealer, it failed on my way home !!! …… was the battery REAL or a KNOCK-OFF ……… ???? …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Well I'm more than " pretty certain " about this …. The day I bought my 2014 RT from a certified BRP dealer, it failed on my way home !!! …… was the battery REAL or a KNOCK-OFF ……… ???? …… Mike
    Your guess is as good as mine, but I would believe it was a real Yuasa battery that simply failed. Again, hope it works well for you.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderPolly View Post

All Spyders come factory equipped with a Yuasa AGM type battery. AGM is sometimes called a gel battery as there is no liquid acid to leak, its all Absorbed into the Glass Matt.

ONLY AGM replacement batteries should be used.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default AGM Battery

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    All Spyders come factory equipped with a Yuasa AGM type battery. AGM is sometimes called a gel battery as there is no liquid acid to leak, its all Absorbed into the Glass Matt.

ONLY AGM replacement batteries should be used.
    I reported above that I bought a Yuasa YTX24HL-BS …. and that when I put it into use I will have to ADD the ACID...… This battery is SPECIFIED in my owners manual as the battery in my RT and since I just looked in my Spyder actually is there …. No where on my battery does it say it's an " AGM " battery nor a " GEL " battery ….. so imho what you posted above is only going to confuse the readers ……. Mike

Spyder Garage

I reported above that I bought a Yuasa YTX24HL-BS …. and that when I put it into use I will have to ADD the ACID...… This battery is SPECIFIED in my owners manual as the battery in my RT and since I just looked in my Spyder actually is there …. No where on my battery does it say it's an " AGM " battery nor a " GEL " battery ….. so imho what you posted above is only going to confuse the readers ……. Mike

First, the BRP SPECIFIED battery is Yuasa YTX24HL, NOT YTX24HL-BS. IE factory activated, not dry shipped.

Second, if you wish to know if the Yuasa battery is AGM type or not, look it up on Yuasa's web site. As far as I know Yuasa ONLY makes AGM type batteries for motorsports use.

Sorry if my description confused you, but I stand by it as correct. The term 'gel battery' is generic and can refer to several technologies, Absorbed Glass Matt being one of them. My response was to someone who thought 'upgrading' to a 'gel battery' would be worthwhile. I was merely trying to convey they already have what they are suggesting to upgrade to.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Battery - FACTS

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    First, the BRP SPECIFIED battery is Yuasa YTX24HL, NOT YTX24HL-BS. IE factory activated, not dry shipped.

Second, if you wish to know if the Yuasa battery is AGM type or not, look it up on Yuasa's web site. As far as I know Yuasa ONLY makes AGM type batteries for motorsports use.

Sorry if my description confused you, but I stand by it as correct. The term 'gel battery' is generic and can refer to several technologies, Absorbed Glass Matt being one of them. My response was to someone who thought 'upgrading' to a 'gel battery' would be worthwhile. I was merely trying to convey they already have what they are suggesting to upgrade to.
    If anyone who has a 2014 RT ( basic, S or, Ltd. ) actually cares about the truth on this, look in your owners' manual Pg. 162 in the " electrical system " section …. BATTERY - Yuasa YTX24HL-BS ….. I suppose it's possible that I have the only Manual that states this, but I doubt it...…..PLEASE report it on this thread, because JC doesn't believe me, maybe He will believe you …………. PS your description didn't confuse me at all, it just wasn't true...….. Mike

Spyder Garage

If anyone who has a 2014 RT ( basic, S or, Ltd. ) actually cares about the truth on this, look in your owners' manual Pg. 162 in the " electrical system " section …. BATTERY - Yuasa YTX24HL-BS ….. I suppose it's possible that I have the only Manual that states this, but I doubt it...…..PLEASE report it on this thread, because JC doesn't believe me, maybe He will believe you …………. PS your description didn't confuse me at all, it just wasn't true...….. Mike

That information was superseded long ago. There was even a tech bulletin about it and it predated your 2014. BRP has a long habit of not updating information in owners manuals and copy/paste to new editions. Heck there is RT stuff in my F3 manual.

Look up the specified replacement battery from BRP parts or read the tech bulletin. It was even posted here at Spyderlovers years ago.

You will also find the battery IN your bike from the factory is NOT a -BS version.

In interest of fairness to Mike, I just checked the 2016 and 2018 owners manuals and the -BS designation is STILL in there. Its still not the battery the dealers stock nor what BRP parts sells. The tech bulletin still succeeds it. BRP documentation is awful and rarely consistent. The -BS battery will work if the activation procedure, including charge and soak times, is strictly adhered to. Trouble is, most dealers and users did not.

The factory activated battery eliminates all of this and just works.
    Last edited by jcthorne; 09-19-2018 at 10:54 AM.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

All Yuasa YTX series batteries are AGM and no matter the series all Yuasa AGM batteries are in a black case.

2018 F3 LIMITED