Thread: 4K vibration

Spyder Garage

Default 4K vibration

I have a 2017 F3 Daytona and I have to say I’m a bit miffed about this 4K vibration. Is this present on all F3’s? If so, how the hell did they put out a 20k plus product without having that issue sorted out for the sake of their customers and their reputation?!?😡
    2017 F3 Daytona , Black/Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Me too and many others....

When I complained (reported) my vibration issue to BRP the short answer came back through the dealer (BRP wouldn't communicate directly) was, "it is what it is and you'll just have to live with it." So many complaints were made that BRP came out with a piece of plastic called an idler to try and satisfy (calm) consumer complaints. It was a short lived item for some but for others, they resolved the problem with aftermarket and more quality products. The problem is likely belt vibration. By lowering the belt tension and adding an aftermarket belt tensioner you should see much improvement. Remember, just about everything on that spyder is spinning and each item will set up a harmonic vibration of sorts and one or more may come into play at the same time. Tire alignment, tire balance and belt tension would be my suggestions to attend to first. Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Recommend you do a search for belt tension and vibration on this forum. There are over 20 pages of different threads dealing with the problem. It is curable for the most part by proper belt adjustment & alignment, tire balance, laser alignment, tire upgrades, and vibration dampeners. Each bike is different. Some will be OK in some areas and others will not. My bike needed "it all". I have had poor experience dealing with BRP -via- their dealer network. There are a LOT of dealers who seem to lack the knowledge or the capability of properly making our rides what we expect them to be. Unfortunately, most of us are left on our own to correct known problems. Good Luck.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

+1 on the Roadster Renovations Vibration Dampners, though mine was for a RT having a vibration issue, Doc's fixed it instantly.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roadster Renovations View Post
    Thank you, I will give it a try! Does it affect the belt’s longevity in any way?
    2017 F3 Daytona , Black/Yellow

Spyder Garage

I have a 14 RTL. I've done the tires, laser, tire beads, new belt, new rear sprocket, belt tension adjustments, belt tension device, still buzzes (not constantly) at over 75MPH since day 1. I think its because the belt is to long. I'm no mechanic/expert/Spyder Guru, but, I've put in enough money in to her to fix this situation. I don't ride quietly, more aggressive I'd say, but again, 26 grand outta get ya a smoove ride. Thanks for the rant, I feel better..(ps Please put the drive shaft on the 2020 RT-s please)

Sincerely,

Pete

I usually don't post, but I feel strongly about this issue.
    Grandpa Pete
    Peter & Kim Pontinen
    2020 RTL Dark Marsala

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Nik View Post
    Thank you, I will give it a try! Does it affect the belt’s longevity in any way?
    We have pulled them off for service with over 40k miles on them with no problems. The pressure is slight. About 15lbs. It is like putting a finger on a guitar string and stopping it from vibrating. 2 year warranty on the roller and 1 year on the rest of the kit.

Spyder Garage

Yes, indeed, numerous threads on this, and what you see here regarding BRP's response is pretty much universal. Trust me, I barked and barked about how they could engineer a major component like the belt, that vibrates....It's beyond understanding.

As posted, Roadster Renovations' solution is highly recommended. Expensive? yes, compared to the BRP alternative, but, while a simple solution, it's a finely machined piece of kit from the good folks over in Indiana. Took care of our issue immediately. I wouldn't give BRP a dime, much less the $39.99 they want for their plastic dampener out of principal. "here's a $25k power sports vehicle, and we designed it with a vibration that in some cases can become pretty violent, but if you don't like that sensation, spend more with us and we will take care of that for you". I see red when I think about the BRP company.

Not that I have an opinion on this or anything :-)

BTW, when you pick up the Roadster Renovations's dampener, be sure to track down the video from LaMonster Garage on installing it. They have a nice tip that makes it very simple to install.

good luck....!
    Last edited by BoxyLady; 09-17-2018 at 08:29 AM.
    2016 F3 Limited in Pearl White-LaMonster GPS mount, LED fog lights, BajaRon anti-sway bar, Doc Humphrey's vibration dampener
    2013 Harley Davidson Softail Breakout CVO/ 110ci of potato-potato goodness
    2016 Ducati Xdiavel/ A street demon with a belt and forward controls

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It really is not a problem, could have something to do with set up from the dealer, but I have no vibration at all.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Default New '16 F3T vibrations

I have been testing riding a new (in the dealership) ‘16 F3T and it has a horrible vibration between 3800-4200 RPM. After a 50 mile test ride I decided to hold off on a purchase. I rode an ‘18 F3L and although it had the same vibration in the RPM range, it was not even close to the irritability factor the ‘16 has In the pegs and handlebars.

Everything else seemed to be sound and the belt didn't appear to be overtight. I'm aware of the belt related vibration issues but this F3 was so bad, it was unrideable for any length of time. Is this consistent with a belt only issue, or could there be something else?

We're in discussions with the dealer to get BRP to put on their vibration dampener at BRP cost, to see if that helps.
    2020 RTL SE6 Asphalt Grey
    2014 RT SE6, Pearl White 57k (2014-2020)
    2008 GS Premier 17k (2012-2014)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Seriously....

Quote Originally Posted by CentralCoastCA View Post
    I have been testing riding a new (in the dealership) ‘16 F3T and it has a horrible vibration between 3800-4200 RPM. After a 50 mile test ride I decided to hold off on a purchase. I rode an ‘18 F3L and although it had the same vibration in the RPM range, it was not even close to the irritability factor the ‘16 has In the pegs and handlebars.

Everything else seemed to be sound and the belt didn't appear to be overtight. I'm aware of the belt related vibration issues but this F3 was so bad, it was unrideable for any length of time. Is this consistent with a belt only issue, or could there be something else?

We're in discussions with the dealer to get BRP to put on their vibration dampener at BRP cost, to see if that helps.
    Find another dealership.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Find another dealership.

Yeah. Not so much. Spyder dealers in California are not very common without driving tons of miles through nasty traffic just to get an in person evaluation.

Unfortunately from everything I read about BRP, and in talking to their dealers confidentially, they treat their dealers very poorly. For example: while dropping the prices on the 2019 models is great for consumers, what about the dealers who are stuck trying to sell the left over models at the original price points without any support from BRP? I also know that they have little to no stability in their regional representative staff. Honestly, I don't know how Can Am expects to grow the brand in California without making any serious efforts and proper dealer support. (Rant off)
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

The very first thing to do about vibration is to make sure the dealer is setting the belt tension according to the BRP Technical Service Tip (TST61Y014S05_en) NOT the normal specs listed in the manual!!!!! If they set the tension "according to the book", it will be way too tight and set up a harmonic vibration in the 65-75 MPH range. That is discussed in BRPs TST which was issued way back in June of 2015. Apparently, some, if not most, dealers ignore or are unaware of this important TST. After you get your dealer to do their job and align and tension the belt correctly, the next beneficial thing is Doc's dampener. Doing those two things will eliminate belt vibration as long as there is nothing else mechanically wrong.

And, BRP..... If you are reading this as I know you sometimes do, PLEASE, PLEASE reiterate to your dealers to follow the good information you sent them 06/2015 in TST61Y014S05_en. They (your dealers) are your worst enemy by setting your products up incorrectly.
    Last edited by canamjhb; 09-17-2018 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Plea to BRP
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Our new stainless steel model is available for the RT's and the idler goes on the top of the belt.
    Fully adjustable tension setting and lifetime warranty on the bracket and tensioner, 2 years on the idler.
    It will also fit the GS/RS.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by capt.jim View Post
    Our new stainless steel model is available for the RT's and the idler goes on the top of the belt.
    Fully adjustable tension setting and lifetime warranty on the bracket and tensioner, 2 years on the idler.
    It will also fit the GS/RS.

What about the F3, which is the model being discussed?
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Belt vibration is common to all models (except Ryker) and BRP's TST sets new and different belt tensions for all models.
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Doc's tensioner

Hello Nik,

I have Doc's tensioner on my 2014 RTS. It stopped the vibration and the is now a smooth runner at any speed.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    What about the F3, which is the model being discussed?
    This post was under "Spyder General Discussion" and I think would apply to any of the models with vibration.
    No, I currently don't have one for the F3-F3S models. F3T, yes.