Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

I just had to go online and build myself one

Rally edition with passenger seat, side cases, 900cc, LED accent lighting, etc, etc --- $12,753........ really not a bad price for what I'd be getting.
    Have to sell the RT though, and that's not happening ! Still ......

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's FUN building a bike, and having it come in under 10 grand!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I Just described the Ryker to my wife who's enjoyed being a passenger on the back of my RT, but even with training has never "Wanted" to drive the RT. She drives her own scooter every day it's ridable weather here in MN.

She thinks she may want a Ryker and hasn't even viewed the vids or test drove one, just based on her past experience and the no shifting, U-fit adjustability, three wheels stability and 10k new price range. She'll gladly ride the 60hp version.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default Seat and Steering

[Patti call me whatever you'd like just not late for dinner! The seat was really comfortable IMO.
    Not sure about it over a long ride but you never really can tell until you actually try a long ride on it and I have not. I think as a solo rider it would be pretty darn comfortable though. One of the keys to long distance riding is having the ability to change the pressure points on your body (mostly butt). The easily adjustable pegs and bars will go a long way toward accomplishing that goal. Some bikes use a long, roomy seat to do this same thing (you can move back and forth along it).
    As for the power steering, this bike doesn't need it.
    Why? It is nearly 300 pounds lighter than any other Spyder we currently sell, the wheels are actually further forward than any model (which distributes more weight toward the rear) and the front tires are narrower which creates less rotational friction with the road surface. This all combines to give it a light, but very positive feel while moving. In my opinion, it is far superior to the feel of the RT model, and at least marginally better than the F3's feel. Note: this set up would not work on an Rt or F3. It only works on this smaller package The UOTE=PrairieSpyder;1392026]Well, Triumphcycleman, Tim, or Bruce - or whatever you're calling yourself lately . . . Great write-up. Thanks. The thought of it being ridden by kids who may not even know how to drive is frightening.

As for replacing any of the Spyder models, the analysis someone did comparing the fitted-out costs of a Ryker to a good used ST/F3/RT would give me pause. Especially with the lower new prices of the Spyder models and the effect that will have on the used prices.

Not having seen a Ryker in person, and not having ridden one, the things that I wonder about is the lack of power steering and the seat. The seat looks really stiff and uncomfortable. Any insights on that?[/QUOTE]

Spyder Garage

I think the guys in their mid 40s might be attracted to this as it may remind them of the Big Wheel they used to ride as a kid, all they need is the color combo Red and Yellow with Black wheels. This is a thought from my 46 year old son.
    Ed

They told me not to give up on my dreams, so I went back to sleep.

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6
    Quantum Blue 2012 RTS-SE5 "Bluebell, Bell for short" - Traded 09/2017

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HayRog View Post
    I just had to go online and build myself one

Rally edition with passenger seat, side cases, 900cc, LED accent lighting, etc, etc --- $12,753........ really not a bad price for what I'd be getting.
    Have to sell the RT though, and that's not happening ! Still ......
    Did you catch it was side case? The talk has been its only on the right side. Don't work on the shafty side.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Seat and Steering

Seat: I found the seat to be very comfortable but I did not ride it any distance. Two points though. 1. The biggest challenge of distance riding comfort is managing the pressure points (mostly butt). Having the ability to easily move the hand/arm position and leg angle by moving the pegs will go a long way toward moving those pressure points as needed. Some manufacturers chose to put a longer seat on a bike to accomplish this same feat by allowing you to move along the seat. 2. Many if not most distance riders recognize and prefer a firm seat on a distance ride. Check out a Corbin seat and you will see it firsthand.
    Steering: it doesnt need it. Why? First, it is nearly 300 lbs lighter than anything we currently offer so there is alot less mass to turn. Second, the front wheels are much further forward on the chassis which transfers more of the weight to the back wheel. Third, the front tires are narrower, which results in less frictional rotational force with the road surface.

UOTE=PrairieSpyder;1392026]Well, Triumphcycleman, Tim, or Bruce - or whatever you're calling yourself lately . . . Great write-up. Thanks. The thought of it being ridden by kids who may not even know how to drive is frightening.

As for replacing any of the Spyder models, the analysis someone did comparing the fitted-out costs of a Ryker to a good used ST/F3/RT would give me pause. Especially with the lower new prices of the Spyder models and the effect that will have on the used prices.

Not having seen a Ryker in person, and not having ridden one, the things that I wonder about is the lack of power steering and the seat. The seat looks really stiff and uncomfortable. Any insights on that?[/QUOTE]

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks AK...

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Did you catch it was side case? The talk has been its only on the right side. Don't work on the shafty side.
    ...and oops, never caught that. Can't have one then - nowhere for Deb's "stuff"

Spyder Garage

Default Big Wheel

I have to admit, I thought the same thing and kind of felt the same thing when i rode it! Maybe that's why i loved it so much!!

Quote Originally Posted by 2Paw View Post
    I think the guys in their mid 40s might be attracted to this as it may remind them of the Big Wheel they used to ride as a kid, all they need is the color combo Red and Yellow with Black wheels. This is a thought from my 46 year old son.

Spyder Garage

Default side case

I am pretty sure anyone looking for a frequent 2 up machine will find a better choice with a Spyder

Quote Originally Posted by HayRog View Post
    ...and oops, never caught that. Can't have one then - nowhere for Deb's "stuff"

Spyder Garage

Default army greeen

Quote Originally Posted by Triumphcycleman View Post
    Ok, let me start off by saying that I 'd like to think I know a thing or two about riding and selling Spyders. To date, I have sold 783 new/used from my dealership and have put thousands and thousands of miles on them. All of them, GS's, ST's, F3's, etc... yadda yadda yadda. So, let me say this.... I am thrilled to death about the new Ryker!
    Why? Well, like it or not, the Spyder business has been on the decline across the country for the last few years, and it mimics the whole motorcycle industry trend. New riders aren't interested and we are aging out. That, is, a, fact!
    So, what should BRP do? Just keep shining the same apple? Add colors, options, and variations on the same ol' same in an effort to sell to the same ol' you? Pretty sure we all know the answer. That is exactly how a product line goes extinct, which is exactly what could happen if the revenue doesn't exceed the expense.
    Enter the Ryker.
    NOTE: This bike wasn't built for you. I repeat, IT WASN'T BUILT TO REPLACE YOUR RT, F3, etc.. (tho maybe the RS/GS). It is for a whole new crowd. The barriers to new entrants are threefold. Price, Skill and Interest.
    Start with price. At $8499 it is affordable to two groups who frequently visit and leave without purchase. Youngsters new to the workforce, and fixed income retirees. Their current possibilities only included the cheap used manual transmission RS/GS or, at best a high mileage RT/ST/F3. Those aren't easy to finance, and they often aren't right for them. Here they can finance a brand new ride, or better yet, lease one for as little as $140 a month with a 3 year commitment. That is a winner.
    Skill level. Here's the way I see it. The new generation is so electronically attached to their devices that they lack many of the mechanical skills necessary to ride a bike. Heck, many of them are struggling to drive a car! Well, this thing is stupidly easy to ride. Fully automatic, with only forward, reverse, and a parking brake. BRP is putting a huge effort in placing Rykers at training centers around the country to make it really, really easy to learn, ride and purchase. That is exactly what we need to grow the sport.
    Interest. Well, start by marketing it thru digital media to the target market. (that's their plan). 2nd, give it an ultra hipster, funky cool, off the wall look with customization at the forefront of design. Done. 3rd. make it versatile. The rally edition can go off road (fire roads, gravel roads) for gods sake, and the infinitely adjustable foot pegs, brake lever and handlebars can fit nearly everyone. 4th make it an alternative to a bike that is appealing. I can't tell you how many times a husband/boyfriend has come into our shop looking for a way to get his wife/girlfriend off the back of his bike and onto something else. He steers her to either a little metric cruiser, (gasp) sportster, or little crotch rocket and the end result is a miserable experience for her due to the shifting/clutching/lifting chore that is that bike. The one stigma that is attached to our current line up is that it is perceived as an "old persons" bike (sorry, but it is true). This thing looks like it is straight out of TRON, or Tony Starks' lab. Not old person looking! NOT A SPYDER, lol! Market it to the newbees.
    Ok, hope i didn't upset anyone with the age comments. It is what is is..
    So, what's it like to ride?
    Let me first say that i am or at least was partial to the F3 model. I like sitting in it rather than on it. That said, my next three wheeler will be a Ryker Rally. I love sitting waaaay inside it. I love adjusting the pegs and brake wherever I want them. I love setting the bars and then resetting them to change the feel at a traffic light. I am a dirt tracker, so I love drifting it! I love the ability to go on a dirt road or driveway with no fear of ruining the belt. I love the fact that we have this motor in our sleds and the thing has PLENTY of room under the hood for the turbo that is inevitable (woo hoo). I love 300 lbs less and the fact that I could not get it on two wheels even after chucking it into a corner in a vain attempt to bicycle it. I am shocked how well the CVT worked. I am thrilled that it doesn't have power steering so the feeling thru the bars is positive and yet not difficult. It is the right Spyder for me. Simple, capable and fun. I want a bigger, quick detach rear trunk, a want to try the adjustable windscreen, and I'd like the possibility of cruise control. That's it. Oh, and the Army green body kit!
    better hurry and order it i placed my order for the Rally in army green there will only be 500 army green panels available and thats it from what i was told

Spyder Garage

Default army green

Quote Originally Posted by Winnex3 View Post

better hurry and order it i placed my order for the Rally in army green there will only be 500 army green panels available and thats it from what i was told

Go ARMY! Beat Navy!

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks... great comments

The original post is well written. While a Ryker doesn't appeal to me (each has their own tastes), it definitely is geared price and style to inviting a new generation into the sport and out of the cage. I have two friends that are engineers for Harley and Indian motorcycles. I have said the same to them about cost and style for their product lines. Harley has made a first attempt at the youth market with its new street line of bike. They are also working on their Livewire project, electric bike. Indian also has things behind their secret door in development, I'm told. Without major manufacturers changing strategies, the demographic of riders will will continue to age, decline and the market will evaporate. I'm happy to see BRP creating products to invite new ryders in and hopefully change the trend of decline back toward positive growth. The new generations are fickle compared to us old fogies. I also agree that not as many ride bicycles as kids (or as much), compared to my generation and before me. They don't share that childhood memory of two wheels and the freedom it gave us. Who knows what the future will be? (I'm 60 and just transitioned from 2 to 3). I hope that the sport will revive and thrive, with some creative design and marketing.