Spyder Garage

Default canceling turn signals

I complained about it being difficult to correctly cancel a turn signal long time ago. The comments back then were varied from "just push it straight in" to "I don't have this problem". Back when I brought up the issue I could only cancel the turn signal about 30% of the time (no I am not talking about making sharp turns where it sill self cancels or will self cancel after traveling a long distance). Well the problem is fixed. I had to have the shift paddle replaced (this is another story) and since then I can cancel 100% of the time. On my trip back from Spyderfever it worked perfectly even with gloves on. When the shift paddle work was done the tech must have loosened or tighten something up that makes it work like it a charm.

So if there is anyone out there (and I know there is) that has this problem do the following:
    1) Ask a friend if you can sit on their bike and test their turn signal to compare it to yours.
    2) Ask a friend to sit on your bike and have them try to cancel the turn signal.
    3) Go to a Spyder dealer and sit on a new Spyder and test the run signals on it.
    4) If you are still convinced that your Spyder has a problem with canceling the turn signal, talk to the service rep.

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016,SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera, Show Chrome Back Rest,
    Show Chrome Hitch. Leesure-lite trailer, Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames, BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors,
    DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs, DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags,
    Method to open Frunk and seat without using key, LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Spyder Garage

Seaweed, thanks for that, but it looks like you don’t know if the tech actually did something specific to the indicator control or not. It would be really useful if you could check with him/her while it is still fresh in their mind as to whether they did take specific action to fix the control.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

So, when you had the paddle shifter replaced did they replace the LH Switch Housing, PN 710004165, or did the technician dig into the housing and replace just the paddle shifter? A completely new switch housing would explain why both systems work properly now.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    So, when you had the paddle shifter replaced did they replace the LH Switch Housing, PN 710004165, or did the technician dig into the housing and replace just the paddle shifter? A completely new switch housing would explain why both systems work properly now.
    It's all one assembly. So to fix the paddle shifter it has to be replaced. It all gets replaced.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

It is hard for me to cancel the turn signals (13 RTS). Is there any way to fix it or make it easier, short of replacing the whole assembly? Clean, lube, lighter spring, etc. I think if it just had a larger flat on top of the button it would help a lot. When I push it, it tends to go to one side or the other, instead of straight in. As far as I can remember, all my past bikes had fairly large turn signal buttons. This one is very small and pointed. I wonder if you could replace the button with a larger one?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So the paddle shift and switch housing on the left side affects the turn signal on the right side?
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Question

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    So the paddle shift and switch housing on the left side affects the turn signal on the right side?
    Yes I believe it does control both left and right signal lights. But BMW and Harley has separate switches for years.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Yes, Lew is correct. The one switch, a three way switch, in the left switch housing, along with the steering sensor, completely controls both turn signals.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks .....

Thanks for the follow up and glad it is all working again. Seems it was the whole unit but nevertheless it will help with those that have the issue....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

It is not a nice switch to use ,to small .I end up changing direction instead of cancelling.
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

I do not care if the tech cleaned, tightened something, loosened something, cleaned it or lubed it or replaced the entire module. It now works and I can use it for lane changes. I had avoided using the turn signals for lane changing. So if you think you have a problem see your service rep or ask a friend to try your turn signals.

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016,SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera, Show Chrome Back Rest,
    Show Chrome Hitch. Leesure-lite trailer, Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames, BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors,
    DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs, DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags,
    Method to open Frunk and seat without using key, LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post

Duh!! I must have had a blond moment. Of course the turn signal switch is on the left side!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)