Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Splitting ECM to flash

Since I’m in Texas I was going to swing by monster fuel injection’s US dealer in shereveport to have ecm flashed but they say ecm has to be split opened then resealed????
    I thought it would be just plugged into computer and be reprogrammed!???
    Anyone know the exact procedure?
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyder Garage

Steve has stated to me in the past that they do have to open them when they are shipped in to them. There are clips on the ECM and a rubber seal/gasket, so no issues with doing this....

Not sure if either of the US shops have the ability to flash via the OBDII port. Might wanna drop Steve an email for clarification...

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So monster FI in Canada can do it thru the port now instead of opening the ecm?
    I just got off the phone with the US vendor and they DO have to split it open then reseal with 18 hour curing time.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aka1004 View Post
    Since I’m in Texas I was going to swing by monster fuel injection’s US dealer in shereveport to have ecm flashed but they say ecm has to be split opened then resealed????
    I would wait.....

Dynojet --- the makers of items like the Power Commander, is coming out with a version of their Powervision CX for the Spyder. This is plug-n-play and allows YOU to flash your own ECM, back up the original, run various setups, clear codes, etc. The unit is about the same price as an ECM flash from one of these vendors, and unlike all of these other flash vendors, Dynojet is going to be posting actual dyno runs showing the improvements. None of the vendors doing flash upgrades are showing dyno results... it's all 'seat of the pants' testing.

The units should be out in a few weeks and will run around $385. Once you plug it in you can backup your original settings, download various other versions, etc... then you unplug the unit and put it away-- does not have to remain plugged in. Once you run the unit on your Spyder it is linked to it and will not work on any other Spyder.

I'll be getting one as soon as available....

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

When I had mine done out here, Jase said there were two options. He could download via the port, which would mean that the new map could be accidentally overwritten by dealer service, or the ECM could be split, have the new map loaded direct, and the new map could NOT be overwritten by the dealer.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I would wait.....

Dynojet --- the makers of items like the Power Commander, is coming out with a version of their Powervision CX for the Spyder. This is plug-n-play and allows YOU to flash your own ECM, back up the original, run various setups, clear codes, etc. The unit is about the same price as an ECM flash from one of these vendors, and unlike all of these other flash vendors, Dynojet is going to be posting actual dyno runs showing the improvements. None of the vendors doing flash upgrades are showing dyno results... it's all 'seat of the pants' testing.

The units should be out in a few weeks and will run around $385. Once you plug it in you can backup your original settings, download various other versions, etc... then you unplug the unit and put it away-- does not have to remain plugged in. Once you run the unit on your Spyder it is linked to it and will not work on any other Spyder.

Reminds me of the tuner I had for the Harley. Plugs into the service port.

Wonder when the release date will be?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would wait.....

Is this for ALL spiders?
    I have 15 RS.
    Thank you.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would wait.....
    Dynojet --- the makers of items like the Power Commander, is coming out with a version of their Powervision CX for the Spyder. This is plug-n-play and allows YOU to flash your own ECM, back up the original, run various setups, clear codes, etc.
    Dan,

Ned.jpg

This sounds exactly like what folks have been looking for!
    Let us know when you get I, and have a chance to start tinkering...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I just got off the phone with the US vendor and they DO have to split it open then reseal with 18 hour curing time.
    Hmmm, that's not what Steve has written to me in past emails. Maybe you have an older ver ECM?

The PowerCommander option does sound good too! That way if you take it to the dealer and something manages to get f**ked up, you can easily and quickly re-flash it yourself! You most likely won't get the option to have reduced throttle rotation required like from Steve but that type of action isn't for most folks as it does require VERY FINE throttle control/application abilities from the ryder....

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    Hmmm, that's not what Steve has written to me in past emails. Maybe you have an older ver ECM?

The PowerCommander option does sound good too! That way if you take it to the dealer and something manages to get f**ked up, you can easily and quickly re-flash it yourself! You most likely won't get the option to have reduced throttle rotation required like from Steve but that type of action isn't for most folks as it does require VERY FINE throttle control/application abilities from the ryder....
    The reply from monster states ecm needs to be opened.
    But I’m all for power vision cx and so glad I posted this otherwise, I would have never known about it.
    Last edited by aka1004; 09-14-2018 at 03:05 PM.

Spyder Garage

The reply from monster states ecm needs to be opened.
    But I’m all for power vision cx and so glad I posted this otherwise, I would have never known about it.

I'll let you know when it's out. I've been in direct contact with them about it. Texted with them earlier this week and the guy told me a few weeks away from release.

These guys really know their stuff and have the Power Vision for Indians as well as Can-Am offroad equipment and maybe some other Polaris stuff too.

This is from the Indian/Victory page about it:

Performance Tune Features

• Fueling revised for maximum power and torque
    • Tunes available for popular aftermarket modifications
    • Spark timing optimized for 91-93 octane fuel
    • Rev limit raised
    • Speed limits raised
    • Torque limiting functions reduced or eliminated
    • Revised drive-by-wire throttle profiles, (Indian and Victory Octane models only)

Here's their website:

http://www.dynojet.com/PowerVision/

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Default power vision

I would wait.....

May I ask where you read this about the power vision cx? So I may see it also, and then I can inquire about it at dynojet. Thanks Mike

Add On’s

2017 Pearl White RTL
    SPYDER RAM Multi Mount
    Ram Mount Drivers cup holder
    Ram Mount passenger Cup Holder
    TRICELED Bar/Circle
    Brake Light/RGB LED
    Ground Effects Lighting
    Airhorn/compressor
    LED Head Lights
    LED Fog Lights
    K & N Air filter
    Two Brothers SR1
    Cat Bypass Pipe
    Easter Beaver Accessorie block
    USB pwr plug
    Removable hitch assembly

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MSa1956 View Post
    May I ask where you read this about the power vision cx? So I may see it also, and then I can inquire about it at dynojet. Thanks Mike

Just contact Dyno Jet/Power commander and they will reply. They did say it will be soon.

They always say a few weeks then turns into years.

So time will tell??

Spyder Garage

The Dynojet product has been 'a few weeks away' for over 3 years now. Thats what they told me back in late 2015 when I asked.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Revzilla is selling Power Commander for the Spyder but not sure how this works.
    https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...s-f3-2014-2017
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not the power commander. It the power Vision programmer version.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    Revzilla is selling Power Commander for the Spyder but not sure how this works.
    https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...s-f3-2014-2017

That is the old piggy back system that over rides fuel mapping only. Cannot adjust throttle limits, torque limits or timing. That is not the unit being discussed here.

Within the oem limits of speed and torque, the fuel mappings are actually pretty spot on already. Little to be gained.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    That is the old piggy back system that over rides fuel mapping only. Cannot adjust throttle limits, torque limits or timing. That is not the unit being discussed here.

Within the oem limits of speed and torque, the fuel mappings are actually pretty spot on already. Little to be gained.
    Thats what I thought, but wanted to hear it from someone like you, Thanks!
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default OK Newbie Here

After reading the posts on flashing the ECU I am wondering if I should do this or not? We have a 2013 RTL and currently seems to be running ok to me. First, how hard is the ECU to get at (tupperware etc. ) Second, what would/should I expect if I were to pull the trigger and get this done.

Currently I am driving what i consider like a madman shifting around 6500 rpm and cruising arund the 4300 to 4500 range. When in traffic I downshift to keep it within that range We get around the 29 to 30 mpg range on last check
    Thanks Guys
    Dave

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fire34 View Post

After reading the posts on flashing the ECU I am wondering if I should do this or not? We have a 2013 RTL and currently seems to be running ok to me. First, how hard is the ECU to get at (tupperware etc. ) Second, what would/should I expect if I were to pull the trigger and get this done.

Currently I am driving what i consider like a madman shifting around 6500 rpm and cruising arund the 4300 to 4500 range. When in traffic I downshift to keep it within that range We get around the 29 to 30 mpg range on last check
    Thanks Guys
    Dave
    If it seems like it is running OK for you, why would you upgrade, Fire?
    I upgraded my F3-L primarily because I have to get on the Freeway to go anywhere, and was worried about the bogging down that the F3 did in the lower gears, especially with a B-double approaching fast. I was happy to pay for an upgrade just to resolve that. I now find I also have much smoother acceleration and slightly better mileage, which is a bonus 👍

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

The ECU on my 2013 RT Ltd was up the front left squeezed in below the 'remote battery connections' & in front of the engine between the 'cross body air trunking' & the frame, held in by 3 x 30mm long bolts that had to be un-done into a 20mm deep gap that could only be reached by someone with double jointed arms, triple jointed fingers, & flexible spanners - to put it mildly, it was a freakin' unbelievably inconvenient downright pig of a thing to get out; at least until I removed all the 'cross body air trunking', which then made it just a freakin' downright pig to remove!! I can now truly believe that the 2013's were originally intended to take the transverse 3 cyl motor but after all the ancilliaries & wiring were installed they decided at the last moment to stuff the longer fore & aft twin in there instead - the motor is waaaayyy too close to many things that it shouldn't be jammed up against, making them extremely 'inconvenient' to remove, & hence the excess heat trapped under the tupperware! Btw, I've left the 'cross body air trunking' off entirely & the ECU upgrade has not only completely removed the original '2nd gear hesitation' but also any potential flat spots that the trunking & air box removal may have introduced in any 'non-upgrade equipped' engines!

But, all that said & despite the difficulties I had in removing the ECU, it has been the most worthwhile mod & time/money spent on my Spyder!! Admittedly, the first few weeks after I got it done saw me exploring the higher rev range just a little, and I probably wore about a normal years worth of tread wear off my (then almost new) rear tire in those weeks, but once the 'fantastic new toy' exploration period was over & I'd terrorised the neighbourhood enough, I settled down a bit & while I might ride a little harder'n some, these days I rarely exceed 6500 rpm because that will see me well & truly out accelerate just about everything up to & beyond the legal 110kph/70mph or so we have here, and besides, it's just sooo smooth & tractable all the time!! AND now that I'm not absolutely wringing the throttle's neck all the time, my daily ryding is always a smooth & thoroughly enjoyable event regardless of any traffic left behind & I'm actually returning significantly better fuel economy all the time as well - I suspect because I'm usually into the higher gears sooner & tend to hold them a lot longer without needing to change down anywhere near as much for the hills or to accelerate snappily out of the tighter corners - we have a fair few of both of those around here!!

All up, I reckon the ECU Xtreme Upgrade has made my Spyder the Ultimate Fun Machine it really should've been in the first place, especially since the ECU Upgrade has been teamed with some tires with 'real' traction, ride, & handling capabilities instead of the crappy OE things it came with; the installation of an improved anti-sway bar; and the removal of that 'hot-box' catalytic converter/primary muffler thingy from between the riders feet! After all the swearing & noises involved with getting the damned ECU out, my wife was convinced I'd given up on it all & gone out & bought a whole new bike with a 'soft blow turbo' fitted, the all round improvement was THAT noticeable!! She loves it even more now!

And since I was one of the first to avail myself of this fantastic upgrade in this area, I've since been involved in removing & refitting quite a few ECU's for upgrading on a variety of Spyders around here - NONE of which have had ECU's that were anywhere near as hard to get at as the 2013 RT, but ALL of which have produced the same 'Cat that got ALL the cream' grin on their owner's dials & the open mouthed 'holy bat-s**t, lookit that Spyder go' look of stunned amazement on the faces of all those who DON'T have a Spyder with an Upgraded ECU!! Doesn't matter much if they are Spyder Ryders, Sports bike riders, ricers, or muscle car drivers, the look's all the same - utter amazement mixed with profound jealousy!

So maybe a little at odds with the other Pete's comment, (sorry Pete ) but I'd say - Do It!! You won't regret it!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-04-2018 at 05:09 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Hahaha......not “at odds”, at all, Pete. I was simply saying that if Fire finds that his RT is running OK for him, why would you go to the expense/trouble of changing? You have provided a few more reasons for consideration

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

I would wait.....

Powervision appears to be available now for the F3 ,anyone try one yet?
    2018 F3s, 2016 versys 650LT, 2001 concours 1000

Spyder Garage
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

[QUOTEPVCX TUNES AVAILABLE

Can-Am Spyder RT 2016 has tunes, see below.

7C1153OA7VKS1 : Stock exhaust, Stock intake
    7C1153OD6VMS5 : Stock exhaust, Stock intake