Thread: HID (not LED)

Spyder Garage

Default HID (not LED)

Has anyone on this board installed HID kit on their bike? I don't need replies telling me about the "greatness" of LED. Not interested in that. I has HID on my 3 former bikes, and my current 2 cars and I am very happy with that. I just like to know if anyone has those on their bike? Problems, if any? Did you need a Canbus to prevent flickering?
    I am looking at a 55W 5000 or 6000K. HB3 (9005)

Replies are appreciated.

Spyder Garage

Go with 6000K for whiter light and less eye fatigue. 55 watts is better than the 35 watt system.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default My 2 cents

I have HID's headlights & fog lights on my 2014 RTS...LOVE them...

I also have HID's on my 2018 Honda Ridgeline Hi Beams only...This truck has factory LED projector low beams, excellent factory lighting...

I just put HIDprojector headlights in our 2018 Wrangler JL...

Yes they are a little more complicated to install but well worth the effort...

larryd

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    I have HID's headlights & fog lights on my 2014 RTS...LOVE them...

I also have HID's on my 2018 Honda Ridgeline Hi Beams only...This truck has factory LED projector low beams, excellent factory lighting...

I just put HIDprojector headlights in our 2018 Wrangler JL...

Yes they are a little more complicated to install but well worth the effort...

larryd
    Thanks, I like your 2 cents...

Spyder Garage

Default Brand & Bus?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmo View Post
    Thanks, I like your 2 cents...
    What brand of light did you use & what about flicker? did you use 5K or 6K bulbs?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wingit3611 View Post
    What brand of light did you use & what about flicker? did you use 5K or 6K bulbs?
    I have not bought the kit yet. What I used in my cars are Zantec from E-Bay. I did not use the Canbus, it was not needed. Some vehicle, with a lot of computer controlled electronics requires that to compensate for the heavy current drowned to start. After that, the current drops. So, not sure about the 2018 RT, that is why I am asking users to give their opinion.

Spyder Garage

BRP sold a replacement headlight for the 2010-2012 RT. Pricing was around $700. It included the reflector, lens and the bulb and ballast/igniter. There are a couple of people here that installed these on a 2014 RT but had to create a mounting bezel as the mounting tabs differed from the pre ‘13 RT body work.

Here’s a new set on EBay right now.

Item number. 273091022571

https://m.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-GENUI...-/273091022571
    Last edited by Spyder 42; 09-13-2018 at 01:51 PM.
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

Spyder Garage

Back in 2008, BRP offered HID as an upgrade. I put them on my 2008 GS. They were about $1500 then. Ouch!

As far as lighting goes--they were GREAT. Other cars did not like them--to BRIGHT--and they were focused properly. One car tried to run me off the road.

I did not use them on further Spyders. I did change to LED's on my 2014--an improvement from the OEM setup. Cost for lights plus install was about $200.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder 42 View Post
    BRP sold a replacement headlight for the 2010-2012 RT. Pricing was around $700. It included the reflector, lens and the bulb and ballast/igniter. There are a couple of people here that installed these on a 2014 RT but had to create a mounting bezel as the mounting tabs differed from the pre ‘13 RT body work.

This kit is for 2012 and earlier. Mine is 2018. Anyway thanks for the link. I will make my own for less than 40 bucks, headlight only. Doing the fog light is a nightmare, at least the left side. Just helped a friend install LED and unless you have baby's hand, there's hardly any room to work around. I took close to 45 minutes just for the left light, not including putting all the plastic back in place. I don't have baby's hands so, for now, no fog lights.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder 42 View Post

I am one of the members that installed these on my 2014 and they have been operating great for the past 5 1/2 years. I had these on my 2011 and I was determined to get them to operate without any issues on my 2014 (once I knew they would fit) considering I had just installed them about 3 months prior to the 2014 announcement. I removed them from the 2011 and reinstalled the stock headlights prior to trade-in.

The ballast installed on the radiator for the 2010 - 2012 RT, that support is no longer available on the 2013 and later RT's which is why BRP stopped selling them.

Here is my thread where I installed them, http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...d-on-a-2014-RT

If I had to do it again I would install LED's, they have come a long way with quality and not causing issues as they did several years ago which is why I selected BRP HID's.

Some people can replace the Fog lights easy but I'm like you it's a pain in the butt. The time and effort it took for the light on the left side will having you saying all kinds of choice words. This is another one of the design flaws of BRP. It shouldn't be that difficult to change a bulb.
    Last edited by YIRYDE; 09-13-2018 at 03:52 PM.
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

Long ago, I installed the BRP aftermarket HIDs in our 2014 Spyder. I fabricated stainless steel mounts for the ballasts.

I also was one of the first to run high powered LEDs. They are certainly good, but the BRP HIDs are slighly better for the roads we ride.

All the best with the kit you are purchasing. Initially I purchased Xenon Depot Hids for headlights and foglights. Had them a week or so before diciding to go a different way. Resold them a short time later.

Spyder Garage

Had them for both my headlights and fogs on my 2008 GS.
    Xenon Depot has great quality units and great prices and they really know what they're doing.....

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default My 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by wingit3611 View Post
    http://www.xenondepot.com/ This is the brand I used in the Spyder & Ridgeline...Since my Honda RL had LED projector low beam headlights I tried three different LED's to replace the halogen hi beams...I tried 2 sided, 3 sided & 4 sided led's, and none of them would shine out past my stock low beams or my stock halogens hi beams...All 3 would shine to the tops of the trees along the road and they would light up the low beam area great...BUT NONE would shine down the road like my stock halogen's...My HID's shine down the road where I need to see...No more tree top views...

My Ridgeline & Wrangler JL are both 6000K...Spyder is 5000K...You will see the blue tint on the 6K ones...No blink with HID's...But there is a slight warm up time...

There was a very good article posted on SL sometime ago about the style and type of bulbs used the the light housings designed for halogen bulbs...I have it saved somewhere and will post it if I can find it...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Here is the article about the light HOUSINGS

Active MemberJoin DateMar 2008LocationHesston, PAPosts420Post Thanks / Like

Here is a nice article about what is best...Its all about the housing design...

• 02-07-2017, 02:27 AM
      Corsacreek

Member Join Date Nov 2016 Location South Florida Posts 24 Post Thanks / Like

Originally Posted by Dray
      So feel free to jump in hear with thoughts, opinions and experience.

Thanks in advance.

Dray

When you say "The Best" do you really mean it or are you really asking what is among a sea of cheap imitation the best of the crap out there????

Because if you want the best then you would buy the genuine product made by Philips which is the 12953BWX2 series type that run from $250 to $300 and they are made in Japan. They are bar coded and can be verified in Philips website as the real deal. Anybody here claiming they have the best are taking you for a ride. You'll find plenty of cheap imitations on ebay running from $18 to $45 with the Philips logo and they are all 100% FAKE and violation of copy right infringement. Philips has already sued several Chinese factories over this.

Most people are naive and don't take the time to properly research what's being sold as snake oil. There are differences in quality among cheap imitations but the bottom line is that they are ALL made in China with very little quality assurance. What you pay someone $100 for a pair of LED headlight bulbs will have the same quality assurance as the $40 one you bought on ebay straight from China.

Now if you really were interested in maximizing the potential of your headlight power you would start with the obvious, who made the headlight enclosure/assembly and that would be Hella. The assembly was made for a halogen bulb which projects light 360 degrees so right off the bat you have reduce your lighting power by using an LED bulb. An HID bulb would be a better candidate because it projects light at 360 degrees and with a higher color temperature. The HID covers ALL of the headlight reflectors and projects the light correctly. My old 95 Prius which I sold several years back is still has the original HID bulbs with the original ballast and still kicking. I can't say the same for any LED kit I have bought.

Look at the new Ducatis and BMW bikes that have LED headlights and you'll see the difference in the assembly. You certainly wouldn't put a halogen bulb no matter the price on the bike with LED reflectors would you???
      Attached Thumbnails

Spyder Garage

Default HID (not led)

After reading this post I looked into these lights and I bought the one off Ebay. It is the 35 watt BRP set and I absolutely LOVE THEM. These are way better then the crap led I bought at Spyderfest from a vender. I put them in right before BBB in Fayetteville AR. And WOW what a difference especially with brights on. They shine a bit wider to see the ditches better for them deer that like to run around at night. I would never spend $1000 for this set but $275 was a steal IMO.