Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Default No belt

Shaft drive
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    You know, after reading the various posts about the Ryker, I have a question. I've looked for the answer, but haven't found it yet. Is the Ryker belt driven? And if so, after all of these years that we have been told not to ride off road, , on stones, gravel, etc., how does that work? Inquiring minds want to know.

Spyder Garage

I've been customizing motorcycles for a living for 20 years now and have modifying them since I was 12, I'm almost 60 now. I'm no Arlen Ness but I'm pretty sure he's older than I am and he still makes some pretty cool bikes. Age is just a number. When I run out of ideas to make things cool I'll drop out but to be honest I feel like I'm just getting started. The Spyder is the first ride I've ever had that had a windshield or any of the comforts we have now. The Ryker will bring me back to my roots when I customized Harleys, Valkyries, VTX's, Boss Hosses, and M109's. Brp has cut me out of this project because they have a new target group of younger riders with less disposable income and they see me as a competitor and not an ally. Let's see who's buying the lions share of Rykers in a year and let's see what company is building the cool parts they want even though Can Am claims they have 75,000 ways to customize the Ryker. I know of a few they missed right out the gate.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Would you mind sharing a couple more pics of the Boss Hoss?
    (I loved that bike... )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Would you mind sharing a couple more pics of the Boss Hoss?
    (I loved that bike... )
    Have to see if I can find some.

This is my new project bike.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was wondering what that was in the corner of the shop.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I also got curious about that rear fender!

She's a beauty!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That thing has to be a screamer. I never driven a Boss Hoss yet!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Try the Big Hoss with the 502...

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I don't think the Ryker is envisioned as a touring type machine. More "cruiser" and "commuter" type of accessories are what is called for. JUST IMO--of course.
    akspyderman you may well be right but remember when the GS/RS came out this was a sports based Spyder within a short time riders were fitting windshields saddlebags etc to make them better for long distance machines
    Once the Ryker owner has a feel for it, they may well want to go on longer journeys and will look for accessories to fit the bill
    After market supplies make their living bringing accessories to the market place not always made by the manufacturer as the volume of sales may be less but the range of items available continues to grow from those after market suppliers year on year as riders request a wide range to adapt their machine
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by eddieshep999 View Post
    akspyderman you may well be right but remember when the GS/RS came out this was a sports based Spyder within a short time riders were fitting windshields saddlebags etc to make them better for long distance machines
    Once the Ryker owner has a feel for it, they may well want to go on longer journeys and will look for accessories to fit the bill
    After market supplies make their living bringing accessories to the market place not always made by the manufacturer as the volume of sales may be less but the range of items available continues to grow from those after market suppliers year on year as riders request a wide range to adapt their machine
    I fitted out my 08 GS and 09 RS with $6K of touring accessories--because that is what I wanted. Finding stuff was not easy as there was not a lot of aftermarket. The BRP catalog got a lot of action. When the RT came out in 2010, I jumped on the Premier Edition.

The handling and stuff on the 08/09 was still "crotch rocket."
    The accessories did not, a touring machine make. The RT was a totally different ride. I am guessing the same for the Ryker.

I will send you a couple pictures by PM of the 08/09 decked out as tourers. I don't want to digress from the current thread. I have said a couple times, that I think BRP used some of my ideas when they did the 2010--RT.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Try the Big Hoss with the 502...
    Mine is a 512hp 400ci Dart motor. Same hp with less weight. I've but the tire up in smoke form a roll-on at 65mph.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Mine is a 512hp 400ci Dart motor. Same hp with less weight. I've but the tire up in smoke form a roll-on at 65mph.

I was wondering what the motor was.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I fitted out my 08 GS and 09 RS with $6K of touring accessories--because that is what I wanted. Finding stuff was not easy as there was not a lot of aftermarket. The BRP catalog got a lot of action. When the RT came out in 2010, I jumped on the Premier Edition.

The handling and stuff on the 08/09 was still "crotch rocket."
    The accessories did not, a touring machine make. The RT was a totally different ride. I am guessing the same for the Ryker.

I will send you a couple pictures by PM of the 08/09 decked out as tourers. I don't want to digress from the current thread. I have said a couple times, that I think BRP used some of my ideas when they did the 2010--RT.

Thanks have got the pictures
    Have sent a reply but if you did not get it
    Very impressive mods, Just think what you could do to thr new Ryker
    Thanks for send me the photos
    cheers mate
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

I'm probably in the minority but it just doesn't do anything for me.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post

Spyder Garage

Lamont , it's too bad that BRP has seen fit to exclude you from the Ryker project. I would have thought that your ideas would have been welcomed and sought for out by BRP. You helped them with the F3 project and it turned out to be a hit for sure.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just saw this thread and thought I'd revive it a bit!

IMO, if BRP wants to seriously compete with dual sport riders they are going to have to come with humongous storage containers for it, or a hitch to pull a small trailer! I'd like to take one on the Idaho Backcountry Discovery Route, https://ridebdr.com/IDBDR. It's 1250 miles of gravel from the Nevada border to the Canadian border. You don't find a gas station or Motel 6 every 50 miles on that route! Traveling ultra light isn't an option!

For those who aren't aware, Idaho is considered the dual sport capitol of the states! More miles for DS riding here than any other state!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)