Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default 2018 and newer spiders with no AM radio

Was on I-5 today and saw one of the many lighted signs giving alerts about traffic and other important issues. It had a bit of info about I-5 being open after the big fire that closed it. Here’s the problem, it mentioned that for more information tune into 1610 AM. I can’t as I don’t have AM radio. Also when visiting National parks they have signs that tell you about more info by tuning into AM stations.

I have sent an email to BRP Care in hopes of some kind of solution. If more owners did the same thing they might come up with something?? I also asked about Satellite radio and CB.

I’m not holding my breath but ya never know.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    Was on I-5 today and saw one of the many lighted signs giving alerts about traffic and other important issues. It had a bit of info about I-5 being open after the big fire that closed it. Here’s the problem, it mentioned that for more information tune into 1610 AM. I can’t as I don’t have AM radio. Also when visiting National parks they have signs that tell you about more info by tuning into AM stations.

I have sent an email to BRP Care in hopes of some kind of solution. If more owners did the same thing they might come up with something?? I also asked about Satellite radio and CB.

I’m not holding my breath but ya never know.
    I can understand your concern. Curious as to their reply.

Spyder Garage

One solution to your lack of AM is to carry a portable AM radio to use when you need to hear emergency AM broadcasts. I know that is not ideal but it could help. There are some nice ones listed on Amazon.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We have one in our RV.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Most of us use our phones to keep up with the weather and traffic now adays.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Terrible answer

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Not to sound unkind...
    But if this is such a huge problem for you: sell your bike.
    It does sound unkind - and I don't understand the response.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If the loss of the AM frequencies creates such a hardship to his safety on the road: he shouldn't have to suffer like that. These bikes are supposed to be fun, and he deserves that.

Spyder Garage

Glad to be owners of 2 2017 F3 limited's! the Best F3 year yet, we both have AM radios! I know I have never used it but its there.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Not to sound unkind...
    But if this is such a huge problem for you: sell your bike.
    Bob--it all depends if you want to be the marshmallow at the end of the stick. Different people place higher values on different things. It's all OK--
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

How are we going to receive CONELRAD messages on 640 or 1240 AM?

Figure that one out...

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

More important than AM, IMO, is the NOAA weather channel. I listen to it a lot while traveling across country to stay abreast of weather conditions ahead of me! It was dropped in 2018 too, right? Probably because they're AM, I'm pretty sure.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have both the AM and NOAA on my 2015. Very seldom if ever use the AM, and NEVER used the NOAA.

I have subscribed to the weather app on my Garmin smart link, and all weather alerts pop up as a warning on my GPS with the radar map available showing me exactly where the weather problem is.
    I then don't have to guess if I am heading into or away from the storm, and if it is in front of me I can either take shelter or dress accordingly by the colors showing the intensity on the radar.
    It shows the position of the bike on the GPS with the radar behind it, and can be zoomed in to the point of showing you roads you are passing as you head into or away from the storm so you have an idea of how long you can travel before it either catches you, or you overtake it.

I do have a portable NOAA weather radio I use for when we are off of the Spyder camping. That stays with us in the camper and on for alerts the whole time.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Next time I'll just keep it to myself as most of the responses are a F&%@ing joke. Sorry I mentioned it.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nice attitude: does it come in adult sizes too?

Spyder Garage

Making "light" of the subject seems to be the best way for most of us to "rationalize" what we don't like.

The discussion about the AM or lack of it seems to come from the fact that "for most," it is a little used option.

Here, reception sucks--big time. I can get two FM stations (that I like)--country of course, that last for about 20 miles. That's 20 minutes or less for most rides.

AM stations here are mostly talk shows--with mostly stuff I could care less about. Same, or less quality reception. My radio--stays mostly in the "off" position anyway.

The features like NOAA--etc have never been used by me. I usually buy RT's. The package comes with a radio as part of the package price. I would NEVER order it as an extra price option.

My Vulcan is "plain jane." No radio, no cruise, a clock, one tripmeter, speedo, total mileage indicator, idiot lights for EFI, low fuel, and temp. Don't miss the extras at all.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red