Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Will the Ryker price hurt resale of 998 models?

OK the Ryker is new, and I think Can AM needed a entry level bike. Having a 2012 RT with the 998 engine, I was wondering if the resale value (say 10 to 12k) for the RT, do folks think that price is high now that you can get a brand new Ryker for around 10K.
    I know there are a ton of differences between the bikes, but was just wondering everyones thoughts.
    i do not plan to get rid of my RT, I love it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Indiana Ken View Post
    OK the Ryker is new, and I think Can AM needed a entry level bike. Having a 2012 RT with the 998 engine, I was wondering if the resale value (say 10 to 12k) for the RT, do folks think that price is high now that you can get a brand new Ryker for around 10K. I know there are a ton of differences between the bikes, but was just wondering everyones thoughts. i do not plan to get rid of my RT, I love it.
    I don't believe so, for the myriad reasons that have been expounded upon in other Ryker-related threads.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Yup.. it's going to lower the resale value for sure... just like the $3000 - $5000 rebate deals BRP does on overstocked models from a year ago does.
    My dealer told me those rebates absolutly kill trade in and resale values.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

It will depend on the rider. If you're just wanting to get into a Spyder and aren't looking for a specific model. Then you might not want to spend 12k for a used one versus a new one for cheaper. If you're only wanting a specific model then it won't matter what the Ryker, costs compared to a RT or F3. It's not what you're looking for. The new lower MSRP I think will hurt the resale values. They do with cars also.

Spyder Garage

Honestly, I do not know and time will tell.

While the Ryker is new, and sparkly with obvious easy financing, those bikes are not for everyone. Saying that, I believe that once the novelty wears away, having a gearbox, and storage may prove to be king.

If anything, consider how serious was the loss in value when the 14s arrived with the 1330 triple. That will maybe be a greater strike than the Ryker. That said, it is now the fifth year for the 1330, and things are likely stabilized.

I learned yesterday that my 16 year old nephew, who was already offered a job in the computer field at $150,000 per year start salary, does not know how to ride a bicycle, and has no intentions to learn. Sadly, this may be the millenials BRP targeted.

Spyder Garage

"My Dealer told me" Thanks for the belly laugh.... I wonder how many "truths" started with that phrase.

My Dealer told me you could only run Kenda's on spyders, other tires were unsafe.

My Dealer told me you could only use BRP oil in spyders.......

My Dealer told me the 2018 dash was a MAJOR improvement and worked fine.

Sorry firefly, just couldn't resist.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

I have had a "pristine" 2011 RT A & C for sale over the last three years. I started at $12,500 and it is currently at $10,500. No takers--and the last price was offered a year before the Ryker.

I am guessing $1K to $2K less would now be the selling price. One glitch--I am up here in AK, digging in the cold, cold, ground.

I may try again when we move to the lower 48--but for now--the used market here--sucks. Most dealers take the NADA or KBB wholesale price of the Spyder and discount it an additional 20%. They say--that is just the way it is. I am paid for, free and clear, so I can wait it out. Don't need the latest and greatest. Linda is happy with what she has.

The same pattern seems to appear in the for sale threads. There are a few who have done better--but the majority remain unsold at prices that were considered (normal) just a couple months ago.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 09-20-2018 at 12:52 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I have had a "pristine" 2011 RT A & C for sale over the last three years. I started at $12,500 and it is currently at $10,500. No takers--and the last price was offered a year before the Ryker.

I am guessing $1K to $2K less would now be the selling price. One glitch--I am up here in AK, digging in the cold, cold, ground.

I may try again when we move to the lower 48--but for now--the used market here--sucks. Most dealers take the NADA or KBB wholesale price and discount it an additional 20%. They say--that is just the way it is. I am paid for, free and clear, so I can wait it out. Don't need the latest and greatest. Linda is happy with what she has.

The same pattern seems to appear in the for sale threads. There are a few who have done better--but the majority remain unsold at prices that were considered (normal) just a couple months ago.
    Don't feel bad- I had to let my 2012 Base Model sm5 go for $8,600 a year ago But I got tired of paying insurance and Property tax on both.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's aimed at a different portion of the marketplace: I think that it's affect will be minor.
    Folks that are new to the Sport (It's primary target); will always be more likely to buy a new vehicle with a warranty.
    998 owners should all just stick to their prices: the right person will always come along!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default As I see it....

It will not hurt your re-sale value, though potencial buyers will use it to try and get you down, but it will greatly reduce your buyer pool. Those that love the twin and the style of the original will still be out there looking. I for one will if mine should go before I do...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    Don't feel bad- I had to let my 2012 Base Model sm5 go for $8,600 a year ago But I got tired of paying insurance and Property tax on both.
    You have to pay property tax on a motor vehicle?
    2 happy happy spyders

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Yup.. it's going to lower the resale value for sure... just like the $3000 - $5000 rebate deals BRP does on overstocked models from a year ago does.
    My dealer told me those rebates absolutly kill trade in and resale values.
    I agree I'm in retail and when you try to get nearly new prices for used it's a very tough sale no matter what extras the used product has
    2 happy happy spyders

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Little if any effect on the 998's IMO. Apples to oranges, the Ryker is sufficiently different enough; like comparing a Honda Shadow to a Goldwing. The intended target market is different. What may be affected though, is the resale value of used Rykers. When the entry price is low enough for folks to buy in new, used bikes are likely to get a pass.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by r1100rider View Post
    70% of the OCT NADA value Towns use times your Mill Rate- About $240 the last year on the 2012 RT.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Default Common, unfortunately

Sometimes called personal property tax or luxury tax.

If you are paying more than twenty or thirty dollars per year for registration, you are probably paying property tax. This is (or was) deductible on your federal 1040 if you can determine how much of the registration is fee and how much is property tax.
    Tony

2012 RT-S SE5 - Viper Red
    Castle Atom SV Tarmac Modular Helmets
    Sena SMH5 Headsets
    Ultraguard Half Cover
    Hopnel Luggage: Frunk, Top Case, and Saddlebags
    Big Bike Parts Short Spiral Antenna
    Kumho Ecsta AST 225/50R15 Rear Tire - Got almost 18,000 miles before replacement with Riken Raptor
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 165/65R-14 Front Tires
    BajaRon Spark Plugs and Wires
    EBC Rear Pads and Rotor from BajaRon
    Riken Raptor HR 215/60-15 Rear Tire

Future Plans:
    2013 Cooling Kit
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    High-Mount Brake Light
    2012 RT-S , Viper Red

Spyder Garage

Going back to the OP question...

We are comparing apples with oranges...UNLESS...price becomes a deciding factor...

Then...

Do I want a NEW Ryker, or should I accept a used Spyder Product??

The Spyders are not quite as "bare bones" as the Ryker. The under $10K market is pretty much covered when you consider Used Spyder and New Ryker.

I believe there was ONE 2008 advertised and sold for $5500. At this point--the lowest used Spyder price I can recall.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

well we pay personal property tax here on our vehicles. The newer they are, the more you pay.
    It's a suckin' heck of a deal huh? Which is why there are so many "bombers" out there.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    70% of the OCT NADA value Towns use times your Mill Rate- About $240 the last year on the 2012 RT.
    I would be had I have a pile of vehicles
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

I live in BC and the price you quote is a steal however that is $13,550 cad plus $1626 tax plus what ever else they might ask makes it close to $15200. So for me it’s a no brainer and it comes with a warranty

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post

I may try again when we move to the lower 48--but for now--the used market here--sucks. Most dealers take the NADA or KBB wholesale price of the Spyder and discount it an additional 20%. They say--that is just the way it is. I am paid for, free and clear, so I can wait it out. Don't need the latest and greatest. Linda is happy with what she has.

2012 RT , Yes Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    "My Dealer told me" Thanks for the belly laugh.... I wonder how many "truths" started with that phrase.

My Dealer told me you could only run Kenda's on spyders, other tires were unsafe.

My Dealer told me you could only use BRP oil in spyders.......

My Dealer told me the 2018 dash was a MAJOR improvement and worked fine.

Sorry firefly, just couldn't resist.
    In this particular instance the dealer is correct. The salesman is a friend of mine and is just a straight shooter. The data backs up what he's saying. Right now BRP is offering up to $5,500 rebates on 2016-17-18 models.
    2017 F3 base models can be had for under $10k.... I know this for a fact

So why would someone by a used 2009 GS for $8,000 when they can get a brand new F3 base with warranty for $10,000?

Same logic will apply to new Spyder shoppers... why would they pay $7,000 for a used GS or RS when they can get a brand new Ryker for under $10K new with warranty?

This will drop the retail value of older models by thousands. You will see used 2008 and 2009 GS models for under $5,000 within a few years.

The Ryker might be a different machine, but to a new rider they may not care about the differences so much.

Trade-in values will be down as well. The dealers simply can't give you much on a trade with those huge rebates from BRP every year that they use to unload overstock previous year models.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yoiu're only looking at the "Dollar side of the equation".
    We all know that there are other tangible aspects that come into play...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Trade-in values will be down as well. The dealers simply can't give you much on a trade with those huge rebates from BRP every year that they use to unload overstock previous year models.
    The thinking is that with the reduced prices on RT's and F3's you won't see nearly as many huge rebates, if any. Sales volume will tell.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For that segment of shoppers that only look at dollars, there might be some bleed off towards a new Ryker, but motorcycling is about personal tastes and styles. For instance I would sooner choose a used ST over a base Ryker, because I like the frunk and sidebags, the two up seat, more power; stuff that isn't available in a Ryker without adding more options and money - at which point the economic argument goes out the window.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Would think the price cuts on the 19's and discounts on the 18's would effect resale much more than the Ryker.

Spyder Garage

I think it will hurt the price of the 998 models..... I know that as someone who doesn't own a Spyder/Ryker but really wants to, Id much rather spend 10k on a new machine (ryker) than a RS/RSS/ST with a 998. With any reasearch at all the overwhelming recommendation on the internet and this site is to avoid the 998 and get the 1330 spyders. The 1330 is more fuel efficient, has more power, has less maintenance, and is arguably more reliable.

With the 600/900 ace engines you will likely get even better fuel economy and from uses in other platforms the engines are "bulletproof". You also get the shaft drive and easier to do yourself maintenance and easy to move handlebars and foot pegs.

The reasons not to get a Ryker will be:
    You want/need more HP
    You want/need a sport bike riding style
    You want/need to do long tours
    You want/need to ride a lot of two-up
    You want/need lots of storage options

Unless you want/need any of those and you have a limited budget you will be shopping the ryker and not a used 998 spyder. For me as someone with a limited budget, who will be riding one-up, likes to do some maintenance, thinks 77hp will be enough, and likes the idea of a warranty ryker is a no-brainer. All this is pending a test ryde of course.