Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Hello I know it's an old thread, but what about buyer options? Bank will approve a 2019 Ryker at MSRP vs anything used more than 3 years old (won't be approved) due to value of collateral.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nchangin View Post
    Hello I know it's an old thread, but what about buyer options? Bank will approve a 2019 Ryker at MSRP vs anything used more than 3 years old (won't be approved) due to value of collateral.
    That is not true. Many banks loan on vehicles up to 10 yrs old. Some any age with a verified value. You can even get loans on classic cars if your credit is good.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I agree, however with a high rate. No 0 to 1.9 rates for 10 year old vehicles. No way if so point me the way to that finance co. To a model that's going to show way more depreciation, and that's not even bringing into the cost of ownership for spyder vs Ryker? That classic car loan with good credit still going to be

2019 Ryker? more financing, more approvals, more sales.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nchangin View Post
    As of this month Sheffield will approve Ryker for full amount at 4.5 for 3 Years OR Much higher for 5-7? FICO must be over 720 Tier 1.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by delkhouri View Post
    I think it will hurt the price of the 998 models..... I know that as someone who doesn't own a Spyder/Ryker but really wants to, Id much rather spend 10k on a new machine (ryker) than a RS/RSS/ST with a 998. With any reasearch at all the overwhelming recommendation on the internet and this site is to avoid the 998 and get the 1330 spyders. The 1330 is more fuel efficient, has more power, has less maintenance, and is arguably more reliable.

With the 600/900 ace engines you will likely get even better fuel economy and from uses in other platforms the engines are "bulletproof". You also get the shaft drive and easier to do yourself maintenance and easy to move handlebars and foot pegs.

The reasons not to get a Ryker will be:
    You want/need more HP
    You want/need a sport bike riding style
    You want/need to do long tours
    You want/need to ride a lot of two-up
    You want/need lots of storage options

Unless you want/need any of those and you have a limited budget you will be shopping the ryker and not a used 998 spyder. For me as someone with a limited budget, who will be riding one-up, likes to do some maintenance, thinks 77hp will be enough, and likes the idea of a warranty ryker is a no-brainer. All this is pending a test ryde of course.
    There are lot of people like me who would not want anything else but RS/RSS/ST. I don't see myself touring on a Ryker and neither would I want to ride RT around town so for me RS fits the bill. From all the research I've done and people I know who put lot of miles on 998 they are bullet proof engines, what maybe less reliable is electronics and other parts which I don't see that being any different on 1330. So there will always be a market for all models. Yes I can afford an F3/RT but you will probably never see me riding anything but an RS.
    2015 Canam Spyder F3-S SE6
    Detachable Passenger backrest #219400703
    Gauge Spoiler #219400531
    Blue Ridge Windshield #219400746
    Hood stripes decal kit #219400711
    F3 Idler Pulley #219800431 / Lamonster roller upgrade
    Bajaron SwayBar
    Elka Stage 2 rear shock
    Arc LED fog lights
    Lamonster F3 bar clamp with Quad-lock phone mount
    Foam Hand Grip Covers
    Tufskinz Peel & Stick Tank Protector Pad (Glossy doomed carbon)

Spyder Garage

Lot's of very good points about resale value, financing, etc. Time will tell. A year from now most of us will have a better handle on the situation.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by donhy View Post
    There are lot of people like me who would not want anything else but RS/RSS/ST. I don't see myself touring on a Ryker and neither would I want to ride RT around town so for me RS fits the bill. From all the research I've done and people I know who put lot of miles on 998 they are bullet proof engines, what maybe less reliable is electronics and other parts which I don't see that being any different on 1330. So there will always be a market for all models. Yes I can afford an F3/RT but you will probably never see me riding anything but an RS.
    I can identify with this. The RT and F3 aren't for me. I currently own an RS and it fits me perfect. But........BRP doesn't make the RS anymore and I don't believe they ever will again. While its nice to say you will only own an RS the reality is that's not realistic. At some point you will need to get a new bike. Or at least that's my opinion of my situation. I like the Ryker....or I think i do. I need to sit on one and ride one to know for sure. If I can find a decent sitting/riding position on the Ryker and there is enough power in the 900 then I'll most likely buy one. If not I'll keep the RS until BRP builds a bike with similar ergos or just run it until its dead. Personally I like to keep my "stuff" on the newer side with warranty. BRP is making that difficult for us RS lovers

On the flip side. I think the Spyder line or Can-Am on road line is in trouble. After talking with some dealers and hearing some things on this forum I question how much longer BRP will be producing "Spyders" if the Ryker isn't a HUGE success. I think BRP has bet the "on road" farm on the Ryker. If it fails to be a big seller I think you'll see the end of the "on road" segment in a couple years?

Spyder Garage

Many people have been thinking along similar lines. I do hope they are wrong.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

You cannot buy a house at 1.9 either. Those rates are subsidised to sell new vehicles. 4 to 5 percent is more normal and readily available for used vehicles with known value and good credit. I really do not understand what your point is here. If you want a Ryker, no one is trying to talk you out of it.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Yup.. it's going to lower the resale value for sure... just like the $3000 - $5000 rebate deals BRP does on overstocked models from a year ago does.
    My dealer told me those rebates absolutly kill trade in and resale values.
    It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand the negative economic impact that occurs every year @the end of the riding season by BRP. My worry is that this will continue thru 2019 and beyond because of their across the board adjusted price structure for all Spyders
    Mike
    Last edited by MikeT; 11-21-2018 at 04:55 PM.
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

These days each new successive model in most everything is an improvement on the last in some way.This makes the older models less desirable and people expect a bargain to convince them to buy it.If updates were kept to a minimum(not going to happen) like in the past your used Spyder would retain better value.Better to buy with the aim to keep for say ten years then whatever you can sell it for is your bonus the rest is written off as the price of entry to the field.I think you'll find Ryker sellers bitching about the crap resale values in two or three years time too if it's any comfort.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    These days each new successive model in most everything is an improvement on the last in some way.This makes the older models less desirable and people expect a bargain to convince them to buy it.If updates were kept to a minimum(not going to happen) like in the past your used Spyder would retain better value.Better to buy with the aim to keep for say ten years then whatever you can sell it for is your bonus the rest is written off as the price of entry to the field.I think you'll find Ryker sellers bitching about the crap resale values in two or three years time too if it's any comfort.
    Yes- Buying a Ryker is not a great investment Unless you find you love to drive it and plan on keeping it several years. I expect it to go from $10,000 to about $6-6500 in 2 years and maybe less for trade-in? But for New riders the investment isn't that great.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    Yes- Buying a Ryker is not a great investment Unless you find you love to drive it and plan on keeping it several years. I expect it to go from $10,000 to about $6-6500 in 2 years and maybe less for trade-in? But for New riders the investment isn't that great.
    Anything that's a "toy" is not an investment. Sleds, ATV's watercraft, boats. They are all a waste of money. Whenever I buy this kind of stuff I look at as I'm spending X amount that I'll never get back. You get some back on resale but none of it is guaranteed and is highly dependent on the market at that time. I think that's part of the problem with sales. People are reluctant to spend too much money with no real good gauge of what it might be worth later. Cars are a waste of money as well but their value is pretty well predicted. You buy a car today, you have a pretty good idea what its worth in 3 years. Values follow book pretty closely. That's not really true for powersport items.

Spyder Garage

I almost started a thread on this but I found this one it the catacombs.

Now that the ryker has been out a few months, has it hurt the sales of used spyders? There is a dealer not too far away from me that has a 2012 RS se5 with 5K miles on it for $8.5. Which got me thinking, if I had $8.5k to spend would i get that RS or a Ryker 600. Which I guess is a good thing that I don't have $8.5k to spend because I honestly don't know which direction I would go.

Spyder Garage

Buying a Spyder or any other power sports toy is an investment in my enjoyment. Having fun makes it worthwhile.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black