Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default Will the Ryker price hurt resale of 998 models?

OK the Ryker is new, and I think Can AM needed a entry level bike. Having a 2012 RT with the 998 engine, I was wondering if the resale value (say 10 to 12k) for the RT, do folks think that price is high now that you can get a brand new Ryker for around 10K.
    I know there are a ton of differences between the bikes, but was just wondering everyones thoughts.
    i do not plan to get rid of my RT, I love it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Indiana Ken View Post
    OK the Ryker is new, and I think Can AM needed a entry level bike. Having a 2012 RT with the 998 engine, I was wondering if the resale value (say 10 to 12k) for the RT, do folks think that price is high now that you can get a brand new Ryker for around 10K. I know there are a ton of differences between the bikes, but was just wondering everyones thoughts. i do not plan to get rid of my RT, I love it.
    I don't believe so, for the myriad reasons that have been expounded upon in other Ryker-related threads.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Yup.. it's going to lower the resale value for sure... just like the $3000 - $5000 rebate deals BRP does on overstocked models from a year ago does.
    My dealer told me those rebates absolutly kill trade in and resale values.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

It will depend on the rider. If you're just wanting to get into a Spyder and aren't looking for a specific model. Then you might not want to spend 12k for a used one versus a new one for cheaper. If you're only wanting a specific model then it won't matter what the Ryker, costs compared to a RT or F3. It's not what you're looking for. The new lower MSRP I think will hurt the resale values. They do with cars also.

Spyder Garage

Honestly, I do not know and time will tell.

While the Ryker is new, and sparkly with obvious easy financing, those bikes are not for everyone. Saying that, I believe that once the novelty wears away, having a gearbox, and storage may prove to be king.

If anything, consider how serious was the loss in value when the 14s arrived with the 1330 triple. That will maybe be a greater strike than the Ryker. That said, it is now the fifth year for the 1330, and things are likely stabilized.

I learned yesterday that my 16 year old nephew, who was already offered a job in the computer field at $150,000 per year start salary, does not know how to ride a bicycle, and has no intentions to learn. Sadly, this may be the millenials BRP targeted.

Spyder Garage

"My Dealer told me" Thanks for the belly laugh.... I wonder how many "truths" started with that phrase.

My Dealer told me you could only run Kenda's on spyders, other tires were unsafe.

My Dealer told me you could only use BRP oil in spyders.......

My Dealer told me the 2018 dash was a MAJOR improvement and worked fine.

Sorry firefly, just couldn't resist.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Yup.. it's going to lower the resale value for sure... just like the $3000 - $5000 rebate deals BRP does on overstocked models from a year ago does.
    I agree I'm in retail and when you try to get nearly new prices for used it's a very tough sale no matter what extras the used product has
    2 happy happy spyders

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Little if any effect on the 998's IMO. Apples to oranges, the Ryker is sufficiently different enough; like comparing a Honda Shadow to a Goldwing. The intended target market is different. What may be affected though, is the resale value of used Rykers. When the entry price is low enough for folks to buy in new, used bikes are likely to get a pass.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand the negative economic impact that occurs every year @the end of the riding season by BRP. My worry is that this will continue thru 2019 and beyond because of their across the board adjusted price structure for all Spyders
    Mike
    Last edited by MikeT; 11-21-2018 at 04:55 PM.
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Hello I know it's an old thread, but what about buyer options? Bank will approve a 2019 Ryker at MSRP vs anything used more than 3 years old (won't be approved) due to value of collateral.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nchangin View Post
    Hello I know it's an old thread, but what about buyer options? Bank will approve a 2019 Ryker at MSRP vs anything used more than 3 years old (won't be approved) due to value of collateral.
    That is not true. Many banks loan on vehicles up to 10 yrs old. Some any age with a verified value. You can even get loans on classic cars if your credit is good.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I agree, however with a high rate. No 0 to 1.9 rates for 10 year old vehicles. No way if so point me the way to that finance co. To a model that's going to show way more depreciation, and that's not even bringing into the cost of ownership for spyder vs Ryker? That classic car loan with good credit still going to be

2019 Ryker? more financing, more approvals, more sales.

Spyder Garage

You cannot buy a house at 1.9 either. Those rates are subsidised to sell new vehicles. 4 to 5 percent is more normal and readily available for used vehicles with known value and good credit. I really do not understand what your point is here. If you want a Ryker, no one is trying to talk you out of it.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nchangin View Post
    As of this month Sheffield will approve Ryker for full amount at 4.5 for 3 Years OR Much higher for 5-7? FICO must be over 720 Tier 1.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Lot's of very good points about resale value, financing, etc. Time will tell. A year from now most of us will have a better handle on the situation.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Many people have been thinking along similar lines. I do hope they are wrong.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

These days each new successive model in most everything is an improvement on the last in some way.This makes the older models less desirable and people expect a bargain to convince them to buy it.If updates were kept to a minimum(not going to happen) like in the past your used Spyder would retain better value.Better to buy with the aim to keep for say ten years then whatever you can sell it for is your bonus the rest is written off as the price of entry to the field.I think you'll find Ryker sellers bitching about the crap resale values in two or three years time too if it's any comfort.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    These days each new successive model in most everything is an improvement on the last in some way.This makes the older models less desirable and people expect a bargain to convince them to buy it.If updates were kept to a minimum(not going to happen) like in the past your used Spyder would retain better value.Better to buy with the aim to keep for say ten years then whatever you can sell it for is your bonus the rest is written off as the price of entry to the field.I think you'll find Ryker sellers bitching about the crap resale values in two or three years time too if it's any comfort.
    Yes- Buying a Ryker is not a great investment Unless you find you love to drive it and plan on keeping it several years. I expect it to go from $10,000 to about $6-6500 in 2 years and maybe less for trade-in? But for New riders the investment isn't that great.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    Yes- Buying a Ryker is not a great investment Unless you find you love to drive it and plan on keeping it several years. I expect it to go from $10,000 to about $6-6500 in 2 years and maybe less for trade-in? But for New riders the investment isn't that great.
    Anything that's a "toy" is not an investment. Sleds, ATV's watercraft, boats. They are all a waste of money. Whenever I buy this kind of stuff I look at as I'm spending X amount that I'll never get back. You get some back on resale but none of it is guaranteed and is highly dependent on the market at that time. I think that's part of the problem with sales. People are reluctant to spend too much money with no real good gauge of what it might be worth later. Cars are a waste of money as well but their value is pretty well predicted. You buy a car today, you have a pretty good idea what its worth in 3 years. Values follow book pretty closely. That's not really true for powersport items.

Spyder Garage

I almost started a thread on this but I found this one it the catacombs.

Now that the ryker has been out a few months, has it hurt the sales of used spyders? There is a dealer not too far away from me that has a 2012 RS se5 with 5K miles on it for $8.5. Which got me thinking, if I had $8.5k to spend would i get that RS or a Ryker 600. Which I guess is a good thing that I don't have $8.5k to spend because I honestly don't know which direction I would go.

Spyder Garage

Buying a Spyder or any other power sports toy is an investment in my enjoyment. Having fun makes it worthwhile.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black