Spyder Garage

Default RT Headlight Shutter Sticking

We have a 16' F3 and a 14' RT. The hi/low shutter on the right RT headlight occasionally gets stuck in the hi position. I have pulled the headlight and can manually free the shutter. It will then work properly for a few hours or few days before getting stuck again. The solenoid appears to be OK. Any ideas? Can this be lubricated?
    2016 F3-L SS

Spyder Garage

I'm having a similar issue on my '14 RT Limited. Sometimes the right headlight will not be illuminated at all when the low beams are on. If I flash the high beam once or twice I hear the shutter working and the low beam comes on. Just started this behavior recently. All stock lighting, never been touched since the factory. Looking for a solution.

Not trying to hijack the thread - just thought maybe there is some maintenance with the shutters that can cure both of our ailments.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hgl View Post
    We have a 16' F3 and a 14' RT. The hi/low shutter on the right RT headlight occasionally gets stuck in the hi position. I have pulled the headlight and can manually free the shutter. It will then work properly for a few hours or few days before getting stuck again. The solenoid appears to be OK. Any ideas? Can this be lubricated?
    Problems with the shutters are not really common. Hope someone can help you out.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cdakers View Post
    I'm having a similar issue on my '14 RT Limited. Sometimes the right headlight will not be illuminated at all when the low beams are on. If I flash the high beam once or twice I hear the shutter working and the low beam comes on. Just started this behavior recently. All stock lighting, never been touched since the factory. Looking for a solution.

Not trying to hijack the thread - just thought maybe there is some maintenance with the shutters that can cure both of our ailments.
    Sounds like a different problem then the ops. The bulb should be on no matter what position the shutter is in. So bad bulb or loose wire is my best guess for the bulb to be on intermittently. If the bulbs have not been changed they are likely coming to the end of their life. Why not change them out.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

When I had the LED's installed, the right shutter stuck. The mechanic had over torqued the screw and it was binding. The solution was loosening up the install a bit. A season later--I am still good to go.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default One Bulb Installed

Quote Originally Posted by cdakers View Post

First of all there is no bulb/filiment for Low Beam. Low beam is achieved by removing the 12 volts thus de-energising the solenoid. This causes the shutter to drop and cut off the top half of the light beam thus giving you the effect of a Low Beam. Your stated problem could be the way the wires are routed in the headlight assembly. You may have a wiring problem that is associated with the operation of the shutter.

Spyder Garage

Default High Beam On

I always ride with my high beams "on." It's one of those things I learned decades ago riding two-wheelers. Better to be seen.

2017 Can-Am Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by imfleck View Post
    I always ride with my high beams "on." It's one of those things I learned decades ago riding two-wheelers. Better to be seen.
    I also ride with high beams all the time in the daylight ( it is even in the manual) ,but you need low beam for meeting traffic at night.
    2018 RTL , dark blue