Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    These are not mopeds. I was close to 80 on the freeway with the 600. I am quite sure that triple digits are within easy reach for the 900.
    What were your rpms at 80 on the freeway with the 600?

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I couldn't tell you as I was holding on for dear life!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Default 2019 order

Firefly,
    Ask your local dealer what he/she ordered and why.

Quote Originally Posted by Triumphcycleman View Post
    Got to disagree with you there firefly. I believe the F3 and RT will continue on as the "adult", refined tourers but performance will come from the Ryker line. My opinion comes from direct conversation from the engineering team at conference. And believe me, one ride on a 165hp sled with cvt will make you reevaluate your opinion of it. Heck, ride the 900 Ryker and you will quickly discover that from 0-40 it's already quicker than an F3. speaking of F3-S, they are very, very hard to sell, even tho they are (were) our "performance" Spyder. Why? Because our Spyder customer isn't about performance. He/she is about comfort and touring niceties. Sure there are a few exceptions, but ask your local dealer what sells and what doesnt. Spyder means RT and F3 limited. Period. The Ryker will rock the performance arena

No way is it going to be the 'performance' line... certainly not with a CTV !
    The 'old peoples bike' might be the RT, but sure isn't the F3. If you see a turbo it will be on the F3..... that has a far better chance of being their 'performance' line.
    [/QUOTE]

Spyder Garage

Default Engine

Rob, what engine is in our most powerful sxs, the X3? It's the turbocharged 900. And it is 172 hp trying to rapidly move a whole lot more weight than a Ryker using..... you guessed it, a souped up CVT. That package is the future of BRP performance, and it is already practically perfected

QUOTE=Rob Rodriguez;1391626]I think you'll see the current F3 phazed out in the next 4 model years. Not sure what will replace it? A cruiser style bike isn't a performance bike in my opinion. Sure you can have a cruiser that has big power (turbo or no turbo) but that doesn't mean its a "performance" bike. It just means its a big bike with lots of power. An old mans performance bike maybe. Like a big ole Caddy.

Performance bikes are smaller in size, lighter in weight, big on power, ergos that allow the rider to move around them (not locked in to feet up and forward) and have braking and suspension to stop quick and stick to the road. Performance bikes don't care so much about 2nd person seating, storage cases, big windshields, cruise control, heated grips, sound systems, pulling a trailer, etc, etc. (that's the Spyder line F3 and RT) They are built to be powerful, quick, road hugging and agile.

The current Ryker fits my "performance" bike definition much more so than the F3 or RT.. The Ryker really only lacks more power and adjusted ergos. I agree a performance bike needs a proper transmission but I'm sure the SE6 can be place on the Ryker. The CVT is bullet proof and a good tranny but lacks the "drop a gear and punch it ability" I bet the 1330 will even fit into the chassis although I wouldn't call the 1330 a performance engine. I highly doubt BRP would produce an all new chassis that wasn't designed to allow for a true tranny and larger engine. In the next couple of model years you are going to see a Ryker with more power....no doubt. I'm guessing they name it the Ryker RS[/QUOTE]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Triumphcycleman;1392471]Rob, what engine is in our most powerful sxs, the X3? It's the turbocharged 900. And it is 172 hp trying to rapidly move a whole lot more weight than a Ryker using..... you guessed it, a souped up CVT. That package is the future of BRP performance, and it is already practically perfected

Yeah, its in the sleds as well (although detuned to 150hp) and from what I'm told in the Sea-Doo. I fully expect the Ryker to have a 800 ACE turbo and I'm hoping that happens next model year (2020). I only wish BRP had done all this sooner.

I'm no stranger to CVT's. I used to snocross race sleds and have been riding them all my life. Sleds are awesome (well the 2 stroke ones) at corner to corner pull and acceleration. In fact that's one of the things I miss in my spyder. It just doesn't have the same "snap" a sleds has corner to corner. I'm hoping the Ryker brings that to the fun. My only issue with a CVT in a bike is the "pass factor". There are times when you need to quickly drop a gear (boost RPM) and punch the throttle for a quick pass. That's tough to do with a CVT. With a CVT you need to just punch it to raise the RPM and gain more speed but doing that may not bring the speed on fast enough. I'm sure you know what I mean. Other than that I'm totally fine with a CVT. Anything to make the experience more sled like I'm all for.

My only other concern with the Ryker is seating position. I don't do the F3 because there is no comfortable seating position. As long as the foot pegs can be brought back far enough so my legs are basically straight up and down or just slightly forward it will be OK. if that's not possible then the Ryker will be a tough sell to me.

Spyder Garage

Default Seating position

Well that might be a tough one for you, quite honestly. The seat height is so low and into the chassis that there is no room directly under you (like an RS). I started my demo ride with the pegs super close to me and it felt like I imagine a gynacologists chair does. I ended up moving it about 1/2 way along its axis and it felt great. The best analogy would be a pre rev MXZ chassis foot position. Definately feet forward, but not exactly cruiser like

My only other concern with yhe Ryker is seating position. I don't do the F3 because there is no comfortable seating position. As long as the foot pegs can be brought back far enough so my legs are basically straight up and down or just slightly forward it will be OK. if that's not possible then the Ryker will be a tough sell to me.[/QUOTE]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Triumphcycleman;1392477]Well that might be a tough one for you, quite honestly. The seat height is so low and into the chassis that there is no room directly under you (like an RS). I started my demo ride with the pegs super close to me and it felt like I imagine a gynacologists chair does. I ended up moving it about 1/2 way along its axis and it felt great. The best analogy would be a pre rev MXZ chassis foot position. Definately feet forward, but not exactly cruiser like

Yes, there is no way I can ride a pre REV sled anymore. My kids have older style sleds. I ride a couple laps around the field and I wonder how snowmobiling survived before the REV LOL I own an RS now. There are definitely things about the RS I'd change but the seating position suits me well. I'd love to buy a new Spyder/Ryker but I need a bike I can be comfortable on for 400-500 miles a day and the correct seating position is key for that. I'll have to test ride one and see how it goes. A 30 mile test ride on the F3 and I was done. I knew it would never work.

I suppose the only Spyder that would be close to an RS seating position now is an RT but I'd throw myself off a cliff before i bought/rode one. Ha

Spyder Garage

Default Seat height

Maybe if the aftermarket world comes up with a much higher seat...

Yes, there is no way I can ride a pre REV sled anymore. My kids have older style sleds. I ride a couple laps around the field and I wonder how snowmobiling survived before the REV LOL I own an RS now. There are definitely things about the RS I'd change but the seating position suits me well. I'd love to buy a new Spyder/Ryker but I need a bike I can be comfortable on for 400-500 miles a day and the correct seating position is key for that. I'll have to test ride one and see how it goes. A 30 mile test ride on the F3 and I was done. I knew it would never work.

I suppose the only Spyder that would be close to an RS seating position now is an RT but I'd throw myself off a cliff before i bought/rode one. Ha [/QUOTE]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Triumphcycleman;1392482]Maybe if the aftermarket world comes up with a much higher seat...

Maybe I should design my own. I'm sure better mirrors are in order over the factory handlebar ones and a few others things could be done.

Spyder Garage

Default Mid speed accelleration

That's a great observation and pretty darn accurate per the test ride. I am pretty darn sure the Ryker will beat an F3 to 50, maybe 60. After that the torque and transmission of the F3 would likely pull it past the Ryker in short order. I think only a turbo (or supercharger from the Sea Doo) timed to boost via the rear wheel speed sensor linked to the crank trigger sensor (avoid boost at wheel spin) would allow a precise waste gate operation and greatly increase the torque. They would likely change the CVT clutch fingers on the drive clutch to optimize the transition. That and changing the main clutch spring. Actually, the more I think about it, the ramps would probably be what they change. And that is the great thing about a CVT. It is so tunable, unlike a regular gearbox

My only issue with a CVT in a bike is the "pass factor". There are times when you need to quickly drop a gear (boost RPM) and punch the throttle for a quick pass. That's tough to do with a CVT. With a CVT you need to just punch it to raise the RPM and gain more speed but doing that may not bring the speed on fast enough. I'm sure you know what I mean. Other than that I'm totally fine with a CVT. Anything to make the experience more sled like I'm all for.
    Last edited by Triumphcycleman; 09-17-2018 at 08:39 PM.

Spyder Garage

After talking with a BRP contingent, this is not a Spyder. The only thing they have in common is the "Y". They are a separate line of vehicles that will be marketed differently than a Spyder.
    What about access for checking fluids & battery? Read about the sliding door for gas, does it lock??
    thx

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
    There is no way the Purchaser of my GS would have paid the amount he did if this new Can Am model was around. He would be the proud owner of a new 2019 vehicle instead of a used 2008 vehicle for a few hundred more dollars more. Take a look at how many used Spyders are for sale out there. I can’t believe I sold mine
    I don’t know, I’m considering buying an RSS over the Ryker. I’d love to see the new Ryker model of course and get an idea of the physical size of it but my fear is that with both of us on it we might look like two bumblebees on a match. Of course you guys will be getting it for a lot less than those of us north of the border. Which makes it more sense to look at the older model for me.
    I think I’ll wait though ‘till it makes it’s appearance before I make any final decision! They have made a few unique changes that might make it all worthwhile. There again those of us who take the plunge will be the guinea pigs. It is curious though that they are offering only one year warranty which you can extend (at an extra cost) so they must know that the whole plot is thoroughly reliable or they’ve ironed all the bugs out of it.
    2012 RT , Yes Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dubliner View Post
    I don’t know, I’m considering buying an RSS over the Ryker. I’d love to see the new Ryker model of course and get an idea of the physical size of it but my fear is that with both of us on it we might look like two bumblebees on a match. Of course you guys will be getting it for a lot less than those of us north of the border. Which makes it more sense to look at the older model for me.
    I think I’ll wait though ‘till it makes it’s appearance before I make any final decision! They have made a few unique changes that might make it all worthwhile. There again those of us who take the plunge will be the guinea pigs. It is curious though that they are offering only one year warranty which you can extend (at an extra cost) so they must know that the whole plot is thoroughly reliable or they’ve ironed all the bugs out of it.
    When I did an on line pre-order pending test drive they are offering an additional year of BEST FREE if you actually order before Jan 31st, I believe.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    What about access for checking fluids & battery? Read about the sliding door for gas, does it lock??
    thx
    Just open a panel on the side, it just pops open easily, and your dip stick is right there. They even have a clip on funnel to add oil!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

can we go back to the "almost 80 mph" statement?
    I assume that you were riding solo...
    Did the Ryker appear to reach that speed with relative ease; or did it come with a hefty amount of effort?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Triumphcycleman View Post
    My only issue with a CVT in a bike is the "pass factor". There are times when you need to quickly drop a gear (boost RPM) and punch the throttle for a quick pass. That's tough to do with a CVT. With a CVT you need to just punch it to raise the RPM and gain more speed but doing that may not bring the speed on fast enough. I'm sure you know what I mean. Other than that I'm totally fine with a CVT. Anything to make the experience more sled like I'm all for.
    Properly tuned, a CVT should run at the engine's peak torque RPM, regardless of speed. You should already BE at the engine speed you'd shift down to get to on a manual transmission. That's the beauty of a CVT.

2013 RS-S SM5 [His] • 2021 RT Base [Hers] • 1977 Bultaco custom roadster • 1974 Harley-Davidson/Aermacchi 350 SS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dubliner View Post
    Based on what I have seen so far--there was a picture of the Ryker parked by an RT. The Ryker was about 3/4 size.

IMO--the Ryker is not going to be a good "two up" machine. I have referred to the optional passenger seat as a "suicide" seat. No friend of mine would be relegated to that seat. The seat is available--but definitely a second or third class ride for the passenger.

I was a "beta tester" for 2008, 2009 SE, 2010 RT, and 2014 1330 RT. I am going to leave that for others this go around. I will add, that my experiences were ALL GOOD though.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They've crossed this County on scooters: nythinbg is possible...

Spyder Garage

Default access

That funnel was to be able to add gasoline to the tank when filling from a jug. It has a cap-less fuel intake just like my F150 pickup, and unless you have a gas station style pump nozzle, it will be tough to add fuel without the little funnel to open the vent in system

Just open a panel on the side, it just pops open easily, and your dip stick is right there. They even have a clip on funnel to add oil!

Spyder Garage

New to the forum and joined to learn a bit more about the Ryker. So being an avid sledder and currently have two 4 stroke Doo's. One is with the 900 Ace engine which I have had now for five seasons. It has been bullet proof so the decision to bring this mill to yet another summer toy is genius. Question. Why is the 900 rated at 77HP? It is 90HP+ in my sled and with a couple of simple and cheap mods 100HP is easy. A turbo in the future is likely a no brainer in the future as most new toys come first with lower outputs and then get more powerful options in future model years to spur sales.

So while I get the no turbo option right now but why only 77HP from a motor that is capable of much more in naturally aspirated form???

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jdsky View Post
    New to the forum and joined to learn a bit more about the Ryker. So being an avid sledder and currently have two 4 stroke Doo's. One is with the 900 Ace engine which I have had now for five seasons. It has been bullet proof so the decision to bring this mill to yet another summer toy is genius. Question. Why is the 900 rated at 77HP? It is 90HP+ in my sled and with a couple of simple and cheap mods 100HP is easy. A turbo in the future is likely a no brainer in the future as most new toys come first with lower outputs and then get more powerful options in future model years to spur sales.

So while I get the no turbo option right now but why only 77HP from a motor that is capable of much more in naturally aspirated form???

I'd love to know the answer to this as well.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jdsky View Post

I can guess at two possible factors: 1) meeting the much more stringent emissions requirements of road-going vehicles, and, 2) Being softer tuned for better reliability, especially with the thermal issues inherent in summer/desert heat, which sleds don't have to endure.

2013 RS-S SM5 [His] • 2021 RT Base [Hers] • 1977 Bultaco custom roadster • 1974 Harley-Davidson/Aermacchi 350 SS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I suspect two good reasons.

The first is EPA emission and sound regulations.

The second is the engine is most likely tuned for torque which is the ideal with a ATV style CVT transmission. Higher torque is generally somewhere in the mid RPM range where higher HP is generally at the high end of the RPM range.

Enhancing the torque of an engine would be more user friendly and more ideal for this application.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

, and Welcome to the Forum!
    (You good old RykerLyker! )
    And thanks for the comments about the 900's reliability!

Spyder Garage

Absolutely love my Ski Doo 4 stroke snowmobiles. I have been sledding for decades and with running two machines, one for myself and one for my son, it makes a ton of sense to ditch burning oil and going with something engineered for reliability. These ACE motors are just fantastic engines and a testament to BRP's ability to design motors that can handle the punishment of both winter and summer powersports extremes.

Appears that BRP is following what they have done with watercraft and the Sea Doo Spark bringing a similar philosophy to their three wheeled asphalt machines. Incredibly smart and will open up a completely new world for three wheeled enthusiasts.

I have to come clean. While I have owned BRP products since 2005 I have test ridden the Spyder at my dealer quite a few times and even though it has evolved a lot over the years it has just not been for me. I have however been a long time fan of two wheels, first dirtbike at the age of 11 and first road bike at the age of 15. I have also been on three wheels the last 4 years in the Slingshot. That was an extremely fun toy and one that my wife and I enjoyed quite a bit. I recently sold the Slingshot and now this comes along.

I will definitely be taking one out for a test ride next season and at this price point think BRP will have a huge winner on their hands. I would definitely be interested in a Rally as we have a lot of rough paved roads here and even more gravel roads that I could totally see hammering with this toy. Something we do now with UTV's but on this can see the potential for having even more fun. May just be adding a pair of these to the toy shed next year....