Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

I go to the Can Am website. Click on "explore off road" and choose [Models]. You then choose SSV or ATV. Two different model types. From there, you can view each model within that type.

Back at can-Am homepage... Click on "discover on road" and choose [Models]. It then allows you to choose Can-Am Ryker or Can-Am Spyder, separated the exact same way as the off road types. So... kinda screams the Ryker and the Spyder are by the factory recognized as two different model types.

Not seeing where these are marketed by Can-Am as the Spyder Ryker.

Go into any motorcycle manufacturer's site and they divide by type of bike then within that, individual models then variations of that model. Huh...just like Can-Am has done.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BlkHawk73 View Post
    I go to the Can Am website. Click on "explore off road" and choose [Models]. You then choose SSV or ATV. Two different model types. From there, you can view each model within that type.

Back at can-Am homepage... Click on "discover on road" and choose [Models]. It then allows you to choose Can-Am Ryker or Can-Am Spyder, separated the exact same way as the off road types. So... kinda screams the Ryker and the Spyder are by the factory recognized as two different model types.

Not seeing where these are marketed by Can-Am as the Spyder Ryker.

Go into any motorcycle manufacturer's site and they divide by type of bike then within that, individual models then variations of that model. Huh...just like Can-Am has done.
    It's not a Spyder!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    It's not a Spyder!

Exactly what I'm saying. There's all separated on their site.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BlkHawk73 View Post
    Exactly what I'm saying. There's all separated on their site.
    I agree. My guess is because the Ryker line is going to evolve into the sporty performance machine line. Not just entry level but also more expensive, sport, dual sport and performance minded machines. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see a 900ACE turbo in that chassis (or a very similar one) in the next model year or two.

The Spyder line will remain and continue to be larger cruiser and touring type machines.

Lets face it, people hear Spyder and they think "old peoples bike". Not trying to offend anyone......its just the way it is. Easiest way for BRP to kill off that notion is start a new brand. Don't try and rebrand the old mans Spyder, just create the young mans Ryker.

Just a guess?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    I agree. My guess is because the Ryker line is going to evolve into the sporty performance machine line. Not just entry level but also more expensive, sport, dual sport and performance minded machines. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see a 900ACE turbo in that chassis (or a very similar one) in the next model year or two.

The Spyder line will remain and continue to be larger cruiser and touring type machines.

Lets face it, people hear Spyder and they think "old peoples bike". Not trying to offend anyone......its just the way it is. Easiest way for BRP to kill off that notion is start a new brand. Don't try and rebrand the old mans Spyder, just create the young mans Ryker.

Just a guess?
    A good guess at that....... I am wondering if they plan on keeping both the F3 and RT that they rename them (or their successors) and have the Ryker, the Spyder (current F3) and, __________ (current RT). Basically the end goal of diversifying models as well as model names and not just all being called spyder..... I know Bob will say that a name is just a name, but this isn't just about names it's about their business plan and more specifically about them being all in on a business plan of making three wheeled trykes available to all.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
    Sold my 2008 GS just in the nick of time These are going to destroy resale values!!
    There is no way the Purchaser of my GS would have paid the amount he did if this new Can Am model was around. He would be the proud owner of a new 2019 vehicle instead of a used 2008 vehicle for a few hundred more dollars more. Take a look at how many used Spyders are for sale out there. I can’t believe I sold mine

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Bob Denman;1391259]Actually: it sure the Hell!
    But if you prefer to call it as only a basic premise of marketing: go ahead!
    You have to remember that a sound marketing strategy is also a basic premise of business...
    And it IS a Spyder!

Thank you Bob. I will resist the urge to make a nasty comment on Pete's post. He obviously knows more then me.

2021 RT Limited
    2021 Spyder RT Liminted , Marsala Red in Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
    Sold my 2008 GS just in the nick of time These are going to destroy resale values!!
    I can’t see my wife traveling several thousand miles on a trip with a Ryker holding all her gear. It is a different product and niche. So there is no need to compare the GS, ST or STL to the Ryker. A Spyder is a Spyder. A Ryker is a Ryker period!
    2012 RT-S and 2013 STL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joe T. View Post
    I, personally, do not believe a motorcycle (or three wheeler) should cost the same as a typical car. There is no comparison of the utility of the two, and therefore the inherent value. Just my opinion. I am sure many will not agree.
    People routinely foul up that comparison by bench-marking the most expensive motorcycles against fairly ordinary, middle-of-the-range cars. If you want to compare the cost of a Spyder RT Limited to a car, choose a similarly top-of-the-line luxury automobile like a Toyota Avalon Limited, which starts at $41,800. Conversely, A V6 Camaro or Ecoboost Mustang sits waaay lower on automotive cost spectrum. I'd probably say their position in the car market is equivalent in the motorcycle segment to maybe an MT-07, at $7599. [...or a Ryker?]
    It's like comparing the price of one restaurant's 5 oz Kobe filet mignon to their competition's half-pound turkey sub — that doesn't really accurately reflect the cost difference between beef and turkey.
    Last edited by Tanshanomi; 09-13-2018 at 06:36 PM.

2013 RS-S SM5 [His] • 2021 RT Base [Hers] • 1977 Bultaco custom roadster • 1974 Harley-Davidson/Aermacchi 350 SS

Spyder Garage

Just a guess?
    No way is it going to be the 'performance' line... certainly not with a CTV !
    The 'old peoples bike' might be the RT, but sure isn't the F3. If you see a turbo it will be on the F3..... that has a far better chance of being their 'performance' line.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Default Three cents

After reading many of the posts in this thread I figured i would throw in my three cents. The way I see it is BRP is the parent company, Can-Am is the brand, Spyder, Ryker, etc are the models with different trim levels under the models. A Ryker is not a Spyder. Sure they are both reverse trikes made by the same manufacturer but they are different models. Comparing the cost of a Spyder, Ryker, Harley, sport bike, etc to a car is a poor comparison. Why? Because WE along with many many other people are paying these prices for these machines. Sure we could all buy a twenty thousand dollar economy car to travel around in but where is the fun in that? They know they have a product we want so we will pay their prices.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Actually: it sure the Hell!
    But if you prefer to call it as only a basic premise of marketing: go ahead!
    You have to remember that a sound marketing strategy is also a basic premise of business...
    And it IS a Spyder!

Bob,

The Ryker is not a Spyder. It is a Can Am product that has been developed to be on its own.

Can Am says it best...

"Can-Am Ryker and Ryker Rally Edition models were launched opening new horizons for the Can-Am On-Road family." (Link)

Notice they are not saying "Spyder family"? Think of it like GMC and GM. Or Ford & Mercury. or Honda and Acura Etc. Etc. Or better yet... Think of the Ryker as the Sport car division and the Spyders are the luxury/cruiser division.

The Ryker is a product standing on its own merits that will have it's own product line. They did this to not dilute the Spyder line and allow each line to have a clear line in the sand. This is how you protect the resale values and "Crowd" so to speak.

Let's be honest. We all know when the Spyder came out the idea was not aimed squarely at the 50+ year olds. Can Am assumed all ages would love the Spyder. Yet here we are a decade later and it is more of an "40+ Seasoned Adult" product than one for everyone.

The Ryker is a product that will attract a wider audience.

We also know from being "Business smart" That the expensive products pay for the R&D of the less expensive and future products. So the Ryker could not have been the first vehicle launched because the R&D was not there nor was the history to know how to even develop the Ryker.

I could see the Ryker bringing folks back to the Can Am products, get more into the 30+ age market (And of course it will get to some 20+, but not like the crotch rockets do) and be a second "Fun in the sun" rid3 for others that currently have a Spyder.

The Ryker is not a Spyder. The Spyder is not a Ryker. They are family members...

Last edited by IWN2RYD; 09-14-2018 at 01:35 PM.
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    The 'old peoples bike' might be the RT, but sure isn't the F3. If you see a turbo it will be on the F3..... that has a far better chance of being their 'performance' line.
    To the red - Your from MI. Haven't you ever driven a snowmobile? They have a CVT exactly like the Ryker and will out perform pretty much anything you've ever driven. A properly set up CVT will not hold back the performance! Now, of course the engine will come in to play.
    That being said, for me, I'd want a manual trans.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think you'll see the current F3 phazed out in the next 4 model years. Not sure what will replace it? A cruiser style bike isn't a performance bike in my opinion. Sure you can have a cruiser that has big power (turbo or no turbo) but that doesn't mean its a "performance" bike. It just means its a big bike with lots of power. An old mans performance bike maybe. Like a big ole Caddy.

Performance bikes are smaller in size, lighter in weight, big on power, ergos that allow the rider to move around them (not locked in to feet up and forward) and have braking and suspension to stop quick and stick to the road. Performance bikes don't care so much about 2nd person seating, storage cases, big windshields, cruise control, heated grips, sound systems, pulling a trailer, etc, etc. (that's the Spyder line F3 and RT) They are built to be powerful, quick, road hugging and agile.

The current Ryker fits my "performance" bike definition much more so than the F3 or RT.. The Ryker really only lacks more power and adjusted ergos. I agree a performance bike needs a proper transmission but I'm sure the SE6 can be place on the Ryker. The CVT is bullet proof and a good tranny but lacks the "drop a gear and punch it ability" I bet the 1330 will even fit into the chassis although I wouldn't call the 1330 a performance engine. I highly doubt BRP would produce an all new chassis that wasn't designed to allow for a true tranny and larger engine. In the next couple of model years you are going to see a Ryker with more power....no doubt. I'm guessing they name it the Ryker RS
    Last edited by Rob Rodriguez; 09-14-2018 at 08:16 AM.

Spyder Garage

I think you'll see the current F3 phazed out in the next 4 model years. Not sure what will replace it? A cruiser style bike isn't a performance bike in my opinion. Sure you can have a cruiser that has big power (turbo or no turbo) but that doesn't mean its a "performance" bike. It just means its a big bike with lots of power. An old mans performance bike maybe. Like a big ole Caddy.
    I sure hope not -- I really love my F3S and when I eventually ride it into the ground I'd love to replace it with a newer one.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    A good video from BRP's marketing dept.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default The name

Perception: Spyder = Old People (sad but mostly true)
    Ryker = young people (hopefully true)
    Perception sometimes equals reality
    [
    It's a Spyder.
    Marketed as a Spyder
    Sold by Spyder Dealerships
    built by Can Am
    Developed by Can Am
    It's even listed right on the Can Am Spyder website...

What would their logic be in carving it off on it's own?[/QUOTE]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tanshanomi View Post
    People routinely foul up that comparison by bench-marking the most expensive motorcycles against fairly ordinary, middle-of-the-range cars. If you want to compare the cost of a Spyder RT Limited to a car, choose a similarly top-of-the-line luxury automobile like a Toyota Avalon Limited, which starts at $41,800. Conversely, A V6 Camaro or Ecoboost Mustang sits waaay lower on automotive cost spectrum. I'd probably say their position in the car market is equivalent in the motorcycle segment to maybe an MT-07, at $7599. [...or a Ryker?]
    It's like comparing the price of one restaurant's 5 oz Kobe filet mignon to their competition's half-pound turkey sub — that doesn't really accurately reflect the cost difference between beef and turkey.

I think you got my point.

Joe T.
    Joe T.
    I miss SoCal - - - -

Spyder Garage

In a Few years there will be a Ryker Fest BUT they May allow Spyders?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Default Performsnce

Got to disagree with you there firefly. I believe the F3 and RT will continue on as the "adult", refined tourers but performance will come from the Ryker line. My opinion comes from direct conversation from the engineering team at conference. And believe me, one ride on a 165hp sled with cvt will make you reevaluate your opinion of it. Heck, ride the 900 Ryker and you will quickly discover that from 0-40 it's already quicker than an F3. speaking of F3-S, they are very, very hard to sell, even tho they are (were) our "performance" Spyder. Why? Because our Spyder customer isn't about performance. He/she is about comfort and touring niceties. Sure there are a few exceptions, but ask your local dealer what sells and what doesnt. Spyder means RT and F3 limited. Period. The Ryker will rock the performance arena

The 'old peoples bike' might be the RT, but sure isn't the F3. If you see a turbo it will be on the F3..... that has a far better chance of being their 'performance' line.[/QUOTE]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Culpjp View Post
    Have we now gone from "it's not a real motorcycle" to " it's not a real Spyder"?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I agree 100% and am glad they went with a different name for these entry level 'moped-like' trikes.
    They did it on purpose so as not to cheapen the Spyder name.

That being said, I'm sure us Spyderlovers will embrace it as our 'little brother' and they'll be welcome to come play with the rest of us. I'd expect a new forum area out here for them just like for the F3 and RT models...
    These are not mopeds. I was close to 80 on the freeway with the 600. I am quite sure that triple digits are within easy reach for the 900.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
    You guys are crazy! It cost a lot of money for a company to brand themselves. There are many people who don't know what a Spyder is let alone what a ryker is. Can am is not launching another brand call Ryker, they are merely introducing a new line of Spyders that will appeal to a Different type of buyer, nothing more. Auto manufacturers have many different models under the same manufacturer, this is the same thing.
    After talking with a BRP contingent, this is not a Spyder. The only thing they have in common is the "Y". They are a separate line of vehicles that will be marketed differently than a Spyder.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by delkhouri View Post
    I'd be curious to see their rationale behind the name Ryker. If it's about bringing awareness and accessibility to the Spyder line why not call it the Can Am Spyder R6 (600cc) R9 (900cc) and RR (rally).... Or if the R is too over used from other models (rs, rss, rt, rts, rtl etc) pick another letter. Someone in another thread even suggested calling it an F1?

I guess the one takeaway is that the Ryker is NOT a Spyder and they don't want it to be, if they wanted it to be another Spyder model they would have named it such.
    Yep not a Spyder! The name RYKER is being used to emphasize what this product has in common with the Spyder the "Y" and the VSS.