Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Culpjp View Post
    Have we now gone from "it's not a real motorcycle" to " it's not a real Spyder"?
    Well.. it's not a Spyder... it's a Ryker......

If you have an issue with that then take it up with BRP.....

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Hey Admins

Now we need a new sub-forum for the Ryker.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

You guys are crazy! It cost a lot of money for a company to brand themselves. There are many people who don't know what a Spyder is let alone what a ryker is. Can am is not launching another brand call Ryker, they are merely introducing a new line of Spyders that will appeal to a Different type of buyer, nothing more. Auto manufacturers have many different models under the same manufacturer, this is the same thing.

2021 RT Limited
    2021 Spyder RT Liminted , Marsala Red in Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you:
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
    You guys are crazy! It cost a lot of money for a company to brand themselves. There are many people who don't know what a Spyder is let alone what a ryker is. Can am is not launching another brand call Ryker, they are merely introducing a new line of Spyders that will appeal to a Different type of buyer, nothing more. Auto manufacturers have many different models under the same manufacturer, this is the same thing.
    Originally, I would agree with you...but the more I look into the Ryker the more I'm convinced it's a lot more than just a cheaper Spyder. The Ryker can do something the Spyder can't...go on gravel and dirt roads with peace of mind due to it having a drive shaft instead of a belt. Around my area...there are so many people that drive street-legal ATVs. Before I could afford a Spyder, I had an ATV that I would ride around town but while doing so envied those riding a motorcycle. While the Ryker isn't an ATV it is being marketed as an All-Road Vehicle. I'm pretty convinced the Ryker isn't just going to be marketed toward a younger demographic but those people bought an ATV nor really for utility, hunting, or go all-terrain...but just for recreational fun on the city streets and country gravel roads. The Ryker can easily be marketed as an "ARV" that allows you to do some of what an ATV can do and most of what a Spyder can do. Not sure if ARV is a new category...but it is a new customer base for the reverse trike vehicles. It would be a huge mistake for a dealer to promote a Ryker as nothing more than just a low-end Spyder. There are some advantages to a Ryker over a Spyder that can't be ignored.
    Last edited by BryanSD; 09-12-2018 at 07:17 AM.

2017 Spyder RT Limited - Champagne Metallic Chrome
    - Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Next Gen LED Bumpskid, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights
    2021 Spyder RT Limited - Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    - Replaced 2021 Stock Handlebars with F3 Stock Handlebars, BRP Adjustable Driver Backrest, Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights, SPYDERPOPS ""BRAKER BARS" Brake/Run Lights

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's the test-bed for a new drivetrain configuration.
    Folks have been screaming for shaft drive for years, and BRP has listened!
    Give them some time: I'll bet that you see this feature in all of the bikes (eventually)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BryanSD View Post
    Originally, I would agree with you...but the more I look into the Ryker the more I'm convinced it's a lot more than just a cheaper Spyder. The Ryker can do something the Spyder can't...go on gravel and dirt roads with peace of mind due to it having a drive shaft instead of a belt. Around my area...there are so many people that drive street-legal ATVs. Before I could afford a Spyder, I had an ATV that I would ride around town but while doing so envied those riding a motorcycle. While the Ryker isn't an ATV it is being marketed as an All-Road Vehicle. I'm pretty convinced the Ryker isn't just going to be marketed toward a younger demographic but those people bought an ATV nor really for utility, hunting, or go all-terrain...but just for recreational fun on the city streets and country gravel roads. The Ryker can easily be marketed as an "ARV" that allows you to do some of what an ATV can do and most of what a Spyder can do. Not sure if ARV is a new category...but it is a new customer base for the reverse trike vehicles. It would be a huge mistake for a dealer to promote a Ryker as nothing more than just a low-end Spyder. There are some advantages to a Ryker over a Spyder that can't be ignored.

I agree with that statement. There are things the Corvette can do that a Cruze can not do and things the Silverado can do things that a Corvette can't do. Each one is advertised on it's own merits. They don't advertise them as GM Corvettes or Silverados just Corvettes or Silverados. Every time I introduce a new service for my business I do so to increase brand awareness and give more people a reason to call me instead of my competition. A basic business premise is to make yourself more appealing to the customer then the next guy so they use you instead of him. So the Ryker is merely an avenue to increase the Spyder brand, nothing more nothing less.

On an unrelated note, My RTL needs to be shaft driven. That would be fantastic!

2021 RT Limited
    2021 Spyder RT Liminted , Marsala Red in Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm betting three years, and you'll see shaft drive on the other models.

Spyder Garage

I'd be curious to see their rationale behind the name Ryker. If it's about bringing awareness and accessibility to the Spyder line why not call it the Can Am Spyder R6 (600cc) R9 (900cc) and RR (rally).... Or if the R is too over used from other models (rs, rss, rt, rts, rtl etc) pick another letter. Someone in another thread even suggested calling it an F1?

I guess the one takeaway is that the Ryker is NOT a Spyder and they don't want it to be, if they wanted it to be another Spyder model they would have named it such.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've got to go with Shakespeare on this one"

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
    By any other name would smell as sweet."

Spyder Garage

One thing is for sure. It's bringing back people to the brand. Heck, it's got me back. :-)

2012 Spyder RS S SE5 Magnesium, Power Commander V with Autotune, HMF Exhaust, Green air filter,
    TricLed/Custom Dynamics Led Project titled "Knight Rider"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was just gonna say "Welcome back!" to you!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I was just gonna say "Welcome back!" to you!
    Haha, good ole Bob. Nice to see you're still the same.

2012 Spyder RS S SE5 Magnesium, Power Commander V with Autotune, HMF Exhaust, Green air filter,

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm not the same...
    Older
    Grayer
    The bones creak more
    The eyes are shot!

Getting old can be a bit unhandy at times!

Spyder Garage

I'm not the same...
    Older
    Grayer
    The bones creak more
    The eyes are shot!

Getting old can be a bit unhandy at times!
    Haha.....good point.

Spyder Garage

Nope, its a whole new brand. The Ryker is NOT a Spyder. Both Ryker and Spyder are brands under CanAm On Road Vehicles Team. There are models under each of those brands.
    Last edited by jcthorne; 09-12-2018 at 10:31 AM.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've got to go with Shakespeare on this one"

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
    By any other name would smell as sweet."
    Repeat this as often as is necessary...

Spyder Garage

Default Ryker Build/Cost

Interesting.

I, personally, do not believe a motorcycle (or three wheeler) should cost the same as a typical car. There is no comparison of the utility of the two, and therefore the inherent value. Just my opinion. I am sure many will not agree.

As some examples:

A nicely optioned new Mustang at $26,120 with a 315 hp EccoBoost 2.3L 4:

https://shop.ford.com/build/mustang/...041:s#/select/

A nicely optioned new Camaro at $28,960 with a 3.6L V6 DI engine at 335 HP

https://www.chevrolet.com/byo-vc/cli...camaro/summary

Now, let's compare some Spyders:

A Spyder RT Limited configured nicely is $29,828.

https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/build...ceb5d9a/step/4

A nicely optioned Spyder F3-S is $20,758.

https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/build...68c8929/step/4

Let's now look at the new Ryker models:

A nicely optioned Ryker with the 900 ACE configured for a single rider is $11,333.

https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/build...1beca75/step/4

For a little more than the price of a nicely optioned F3-S, I can purchase two nice Rykers. For the price of an RT Limited we could have two nice Rykers and a LOT OF $$$ LEFT OVER!!

My wife could ride one and I the other. Freedom to enjoy the road.

So, this Ryker model looks much more attractive to me.

Regards,
    Joe T.
    Joe T.
    I miss SoCal - - - -

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joe T. View Post
    Interesting.

I, personally, do not believe a motorcycle (or three wheeler) should cost the same as a typical car. There is no comparison of the utility of the two, and therefore the inherent value. Just my opinion. I am sure many will not agree.

Joe T.
    Well my 2018 A Class motorhome cost less than all my cars. It's a freeking house on wheels with beds, kitchen, bathroom, shower, etc. if you want to speak on "utility", LOL.

So the market on these motored vehicles make no sense across the enitre board. Buy what you want and enjoy. :-)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joe T. View Post
    I've often said to people, when I was riding a Goldwing, that a Goldwing, new or used, was about the same price as a Honda Civic. That's been the case for years and years, maybe even decades!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
    Well my 2018 A Class motorhome cost less than all my cars. It's a freeking house on wheels with beds, kitchen, bathroom, shower, etc. if you want to speak on "utility", LOL.

So the market on these motored vehicles make no sense across the enitre board. Buy what you want and enjoy. :-)
    Which RV do you have?

(We're packing our 2018 Thor Outlaw 29H for a Columbus Day weekend trip right now... )
    But it's just a Class C...

Spyder Garage

Which RV do you have?

(We're packing our 2018 Thor Outlaw 29H for a Columbus Day weekend trip right now... )
    But it's just a Class C...
    We had a 2016 Thor Four Winds 27H C Class and loved it. Awesome bang for buck those C classes are. My jeep wrangler cost more than it did.

We now have a 2018 Thor Windsport, and it also is a great bang for dollar for those wanting to get into the A classes. And it too cost less than my cars, which makes no sense to me. Mind blowing actually.

But that's what we're talking about here.......the world of motors has no sense of scale/utility.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I LIKE the Windsports:
    But we went with the toyhauler for the Spyder... and now the golf cart!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A basic business premise is to make yourself more appealing to the customer then the next guy so they use you instead of him.

So the Ryker is merely an avenue to increase the Spyder brand, nothing more nothing less.
    That is not a basic business premise.

You're wrong about the purpose of the Ryker. It is not even a Spyder.

Maybe you should stick with what you do know.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Actually: it sure the Hell!
    But if you prefer to call it as only a basic premise of marketing: go ahead!
    You have to remember that a sound marketing strategy is also a basic premise of business...
    And it IS a Spyder!