Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Appears that BRP is following what they have done with watercraft and the Sea Doo Spark bringing a similar philosophy to their three wheeled asphalt machines. Incredibly smart and will open up a completely new world for three wheeled enthusiasts.
    Absolutely.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jdsky View Post

So while I get the no turbo option right now but why only 77HP from a motor that is capable of much more in naturally aspirated form???
    You have to remember an on road vehicle is used much differently than an off road vehicle.
    Not many ATV's and snowmobiles are ridden at highway speeds for hours, and hours at a time.
    BRP has shown a turbo for the 1330, but never put it into production. They have their reasons why.
    Cost could be another. A turbo isn't going to be as cheap, and low price is one selling point that BRP is pushing with the Ryker.

Spyder Garage

IF I purchased a Ryker, it would be for a fun machine. That go out and hit the gravel roads, and short spins. It would not be to replace my F3. It's looks like a different machine, different tool.

I still think it's pretty cool. Kind of reminds me of a dirt bike in a way.
    2017 F3-L Intense red "Wings"
    Spyderpops Spyclops Light
    Tric LED Headlights and Fog lights
    Madstad Windshield
    Phoenix - Wrap My Spyder
    Lamonster Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Rich's Custom Seats
    2017 F3-L , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Culpjp View Post
    You have to remember an on road vehicle is used much differently than an off road vehicle.
    Not many ATV's and snowmobiles are ridden at highway speeds for hours, and hours at a time.
    BRP has shown a turbo for the 1330, but never put it into production. They have their reasons why.
    Cost could be another. A turbo isn't going to be as cheap, and low price is one selling point that BRP is pushing with the Ryker.
    Makes sense but I have seen some of the dune crasher's push their turbo Can-AM SxS's pretty hard in the desert. Many of these are also tuned far beyond stock turbo HP levels and the 900 Ace just keeps taking all of the abuse.

To the cost standpoint. The cost delta between a Turbo and non-Turbo snowmobile is only $2500 everything else being the same. While that might push the cost of a Turbo 900 Ryker closer to the $14K mark that is still a price-point that I think an enthusiast looking for this kind of performance woudl definitely pay for.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jdsky View Post
    Makes sense but I have seen some of the dune crasher's push their turbo Can-AM SxS's pretty hard in the desert. Many of these are also tuned far beyond stock turbo HP levels and the 900 Ace just keeps taking all of the abuse.

To the cost standpoint. The cost delta between a Turbo and non-Turbo snowmobile is only $2500 everything else being the same. While that might push the cost of a Turbo 900 Ryker closer to the $14K mark that is still a price-point that I think an enthusiast looking for this kind of performance woudl definitely pay for.

Yep, I'd count out the cash right now for a 900 turbo

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    Yep, I'd count out the cash right now for a 900 turbo
    Me too, I'd be happy to pay £13000-£14000 for a Ryker Turbo.
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Spyder Garage

I don't think they could build 900 Turbo versions fast enough to keep up with demand. The Maverick Turbo SxS is rated at 154HP. The new Turbo 900 powered snowmobile is rated at 150HP but early dyno runs are looking as if that's very conservative as one was recently published at 166HP. BRP has always been very conservative when publishing HP numbers for this motor. Which leads me to believe its possible even the 77HP number for the Ryker will also be a bit on the low side of actual.

Even if they stayed conservative with the ECU mapping for a Ryker turbo version at 120 or 130HP it would be far within the limits of what this motor is actually capable of and be the the most wicked performance trike on the market for the money. A quick tune and it could easily become a 150 -175HP asphalt shredder.......

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Rotax has always known how to build horsepower...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Horsepower yes! Had a 175cc Can Am dirt bike in '75 that was a rocket, would run with most 250's and some open class bikes.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
    this ryker won't have any negative effect on the resale of our rides. I say this because the ryker will increase brand awareness and value. Chris
    Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
    this ryker won't have any negative effect on the resale of our rides. I say this because the ryker will increase brand awareness and value. Chris

Not directly, but indirectly it already has. BRP lowered list pricing for the 2019s and tossed 5k rebates on 18s...

Street pricing for new F3L is down to 20k from 28
    New F3T down to 16.5 and F3S at 13.5.

The used market is dropping fast to slip in under those points. With used F3S now below 10k its going to push 998 bikes further down. With the Ryker at under 10k new, there will be pressure to push older RS and ST models even further down. You will see them in the 7k range soon after the Ryker becomes readily available and also discounted.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gg194 View Post
    Horsepower yes! Had a 175cc Can Am dirt bike in '75 that was a rocket, would run with most 250's and some open class bikes.
    If I remember correctly: that was a rotary valve two-stroke... in a World of piston port engines!
    A "Wolf among the Sheep"!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

It's a bleeding RYKER full stop.

Spyder Garage

I’ve got about 1000 miles on my Ryker rally now. One 400 mile round trip on the super slab and the rest just raging around the Metroplex. GREAT FUN! Its different from a spider and more like a snowmobile for the asphalt. Loads of fun and is a blast to drift everywhere! For me it was a great purchase. YMMV

Spyder Garage

What about the Ryker resale value???

My opinion is they won't be very good.

Also when I was at the dealership over the weekend they had the Ryker lined up next to the Spyder's, and they look like a little big wheel compared to the Spyder's when lined up the way they had them at the dealership. What stood out to me is when you look at them next to a Spyder my 1st though was you get what you pay for, there is absolutely a reason the Ryker has a cheaper MSRP. You can see that plain as day.

The Rykers in my opinion will not hurt resale value to Spyder's. They are in a class / brand by themselves. Someone else mentioned the styling won't appeal to all. I don't see the Ryker as comfortable (you can feel how small it is), and or good looking in the least bit. I like the RS-S style seating position / foot position, & a super sport bike look.

I wouldn't be concerned with the resale of Spyder's, but the Ryker I would bet you will be able to pick these up used for cheap in less than 4 years.

Spyder Garage

Personally, I really think they are different markets / targets (as an overarching statement).

I've never had any interest (and still don't) in the Spyder line. They are way too "touring" focused to suit me, the closest I've ever owned to a touring machine is a Ducati Monster, lol.

The Ryker on the other hand is a 3 wheeled fun machine that caught my interest the minute I saw it. To be honest, I wrote it off at first assuming pricing would be way higher like the spider line. Started doing some online research and put a deposit down later that week...

I there there is a portion of the population of Spyder owners who will also have interest in the Ryker, but I have to believe there is a much larger population out there like myself, who wouldn't be on 3 wheels at all without a machine like this. Smaller, lighter, sportier, a "toy".

They are pulling new people into their fold, which is an awesome move.

Resale on used I'm sure will be very reasonable. These shouldn't depreciate much more or less than any other sport oriented bikes. The next few years will probably bring decent used money until more get out into the used marked, and like anything else it will depend on what the market will bring in any given area.

I also have to assume that they are trying to force some into the used market by offering and seemingly pushing pretty hard on leases. That's a great way to get some used on the sales floors relatively quickly.

Given the price points being what they are, I can't say that resale value really came into my mind as a part of the purchase decision.

Quote Originally Posted by JAS POWER View Post
    What about the Ryker resale value???

My opinion is they won't be very good.

Also when I was at the dealership over the weekend they had the Ryker lined up next to the Spyder's, and they look like a little big wheel compared to the Spyder's when lined up the way they had them at the dealership. What stood out to me is when you look at them next to a Spyder my 1st though was you get what you pay for, there is absolutely a reason the Ryker has a cheaper MSRP. You can see that plain as day.

The Rykers in my opinion will not hurt resale value to Spyder's. They are in a class / brand by themselves. Someone else mentioned the styling won't appeal to all. I don't see the Ryker as comfortable (you can feel how small it is), and or good looking in the least bit. I like the RS-S style seating position / foot position, & a super sport bike look.

I wouldn't be concerned with the resale of Spyder's, but the Ryker I would recon you will be able to pick these up used for cheap in less than 4 years.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ryker2112 View Post
    I've never had any interest (and still don't) in the Spyder line. They are way too "touring" focused to suit me, the closest I've ever owned to a touring machine is a Ducati Monster, lol.
    Agree 100% the Spyder lineup since 2014 is very touring/ cruising focused (that's the crowd that is buying them), the Spyder GS, & RS(S) models are the sportiest Spyder / Rykers by far!

My RS-S in my garage looks just as sporty as my Yamaha super sport bike! The riding position of the RS-S is also very similar to my Yamaha super bike. I don't know of any "sporty" bike that puts the legs out in front of you as the Ryker / F3 does, & making you reach for the sky to find the handle bars for sure is far from a sporty feel. I don't see any bikes at a race track that resemble the Ryker riding position.

The Ryker if you want to compare it to a "sporty" bike would be like Harley's attempt at the sport bike, all those have terrible resale value.

I think Can-Am tip toed on the styling, riding position, because they know the age of people buying the Spyder's, and still are not sure if they are going to pull the young kids out of their cars. Can-Am made sure the crowd buying Spyder's now will have some interest in the Ryker in the way of looks, & riding position in general.

In a nut shell any new low MSRP priced bike / Ryker will carry a low resale value, same is even true with cars. The one thing I feel that can add to a low priced new MSRP vehicle in general is its reputation for dependability. Then people won't be afraid to purchase a used one with some miles opposed to buying a new one.

Spyder Garage

Don't disagree, and certainly didn't mean to imply that the riding position itself shares any similarities with a sport bike.

I WILL say, for what its worth, its the first thing I've been on where I still feel fully in control with a feet forward and body upright riding position.

I've ridden plenty of Harleys, and other touring bikes and have never truly felt comfortable / in control with my feet forward. This machine is very different and I don't have any of those same reservations when riding it. Regardless of foot and bar position, this thing just begs to be thrown around, slid around, and played with. Its simply awesome.

That said, its not a replacement for my sport bike / track toy either, but is a fun evening / weekend warrior and pleasant addition to the stable.

Quote Originally Posted by JAS POWER View Post
    Agree 100% the Spyder lineup since 2014 is very touring/ cruising focused (that's the crowd that is buying them), the Spyder GS, & RS(S) models are the sportiest Spyder / Rykers by far!

My RS-S in my garage looks just as sporty as my Yamaha super sport bike! The riding position of the RS-S is also very similar to my Yamaha super bike. I don't know of any "sporty" bike that puts the legs out in front of you as the Ryker / F3 does, & making you reach for the sky to find the handle bars for sure is far from a sporty feel. I don't see any bikes at a race track that resemble the Ryker riding position.

The Ryker if you want to compare it to a "sporty" bike would be like Harley's attempt at the sport bike, all those have terrible resale value.

I think Can-Am tip toed on the styling, riding position, because they know the age of people buying the Spyder's, and still are not sure if they are going to pull the young kids out of their cars. Can-Am made sure the crowd buying Spyder's now will have some interest in the Ryker in the way of looks, & riding position in general.

In a nut shell any new low MSRP priced bike / Ryker will carry a low resale value, same is even true with cars. The one thing I feel that can add to a low priced new MSRP vehicle in general is its reputation for dependability. Then people won't be afraid to purchase a used one with some miles opposed to buying a new one.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ryker2112 View Post
    I WILL say, for what its worth, its the first thing I've been on where I still feel fully in control with a feet forward and body upright riding position.

I've ridden plenty of Harleys, and other touring bikes and have never truly felt comfortable / in control with my feet forward. This machine is very different and I don't have any of those same reservations when riding it. Regardless of foot and bar position, this thing just begs to be thrown around, slid around, and played with. Its simply awesome.
    Very happy to hear this! I HATE the rider forward feel on everything else I've ridden or even sat on!

I am betting the low seat height (center of gravity) plays a huge role in what you are saying.?.?. I could easily see the big grin just like when you were a kid and 1st put your butt in a "big wheel" thats what the Ryker feels like to me when sitting on one I still would have a hard time buying one new anyways because of the rider position / looks. Couple years from now a used one may very well be in the garage.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was playing with seating positions the other day at the dealer. I current own an RS and I haven't bought a new Spyder because the seating position of the F3 is not for me and the RT....well, I'm not old enough to have an RT I find with the Ryker the adjustment is enough to get my feet mostly underneath me if I want or put them out in front. The 30 min. I spent trying it out on the showroom floor I think having my feet in front of me just a bit (not quite all the way back on the slider) was best. Felt comfortable and in control. I just need the snow to go away so I can test ride one to be sure.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    If I remember correctly: that was a rotary valve two-stroke... in a World of piston port engines!
    A "Wolf among the Sheep"!
    Absolutely correct! I remember cutting the disk that constituted the 'rotary valve' to cause to intake port to stay open longer. Even more hp for free! The weak link was the suspension. More like a complete lack of. I fixed the rear by relocating the lower shock mount on the swingarm several inches forward and swapping the shocks for a longer set of Bilstein. That helped, but it was still a handful. Great engine!
    !