Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Ryker dirt road and gravel

I see the ryker is marketed to do a little off pavement....are we not suppose to be doing that with our F3s?? I ride dirt and gravel with no issues. Just wondering.
    2017 F3 Daytona , Black/Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...Very little: the ground clearance is still less than 4.5"
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    ...Very little: the ground clearance is still less than 4.5"
    With decent tires and shocks it could ryde higher. BRP is depending on its costumers to make it their own.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

I'm waiting to see BRP do some flat tracking with the Ryker.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Nik View Post
    I see the ryker is marketed to do a little off pavement....are we not suppose to be doing that with our F3s?? I ride dirt and gravel with no issues. Just wondering.
    I do the same with my RS. Only thing I see that makes the Ryker more dirt road friendly is the shaft drive. Lots of people here are dirt road paranoid but I don't understand it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you want to go Off-Road: it's time to get serious about the problem!

20110605imo046.jpg

Spyder Garage

I think it would be great with a belly mower, looks like a mower to me.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Off-road is a misnomer, more likely a "soft-roader". I think the lack of ground clearance will limit it to gravel driveways and well traveled packed dirt roads. Plus I doubt I will see these in Moab anytime soon. 3 wheels are a distinct disadvantage on a jeep trail, the front two will be down in the ruts, the rear will be up on the center berm.
    Last edited by asp125; 09-10-2018 at 06:51 PM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Off-road is a misnomer, more likely a "soft-roader". I think the lack of ground clearance will limit it to gravel driveways and well traveled packed dirt roads. Plus I doubt I will see these in Moab anytime soon. 3 wheels are a distinct disadvantage on a jeep trail, the front two will be down in the ruts, the rear will be up on the center berm.
    In addition, a single wide tire (low
    PSI at contact patch)
    pushing 2 tires and a lot of front weight is not going far in limited traction scenarios - sand, gravel, mud, etc. Have to add front wheel drive to make off roading and rally possible. Make it 3 wheel drive and it might work. But still issue described above. Have that problem w/my slightly rutted 900ft. driveway that could use a grading.

Regards,

Don
    2017 F3T , Triple Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It doesn't sound like you need a bike: you only need a bulldozer!

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    I think it would be great with a belly mower, looks like a mower to me.
    That was said about the F3 too.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I recall somebody saying that they were going to paint theirs "John Deere Green".

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    I do the same with my RS. Only thing I see that makes the Ryker more dirt road friendly is the shaft drive. Lots of people here are dirt road paranoid but I don't understand it.
    +1 on the shaft drive. I live at the back end of a mile and a half rugged gravel road and live in fear of getting a stone in the belt.

The only thing that would make our F3Ltd better would be a shaft drive.

2013 F6B
    2016 F3 Ltd
    2016 F3 LTD , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

With just over 4 inches of clearance and a three wheeled track this thing is as off road ready as my grandpa's Buick LeSabre. It's a sales pitch. The hottest selling bikes right now are the so called "adventure" bikes so BRP decided to toss a bit of the adventure into the description for this bike. But then like 90% of the adventure bikes the most off road these will see is a gravel driveway.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Default salt flats or gravel

I think the biggest concern for current spyders off pavement is getting a rock in the belt and also the clearance. I regularly go up old fall river road in Rocky Mountain National Park during the summer months and at the beginning of the season, that's no problem but towards the end some of the ruts on the switchbacks cause concern and leave me happy I have the bump-skid in place.

The video clips of the Rykers have shown them drifting (which I've also done both off-road and sometimes unintentionally on the winter gravel covered paved roads around here). I'm thinking this might be one of the bigger draws for the demographics they're targeting. Maybe we'll see one or more of these in some future Fast and Furious movie
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vondalyn View Post
    I think the biggest concern for current spyders off pavement is getting a rock in the belt and also the clearance. I regularly go up old fall river road in Rocky Mountain National Park during the summer months and at the beginning of the season, that's no problem but towards the end some of the ruts on the switchbacks cause concern and leave me happy I have the bump-skid in place.

The video clips of the Rykers have shown them drifting (which I've also done both off-road and sometimes unintentionally on the winter gravel covered paved roads around here). I'm thinking this might be one of the bigger draws for the demographics they're targeting. Maybe we'll see one or more of these in some future Fast and Furious movie
    Where did you get your bump skid? I may need one!
    2017 F3 Daytona , Black/Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default bumpskid

Quote Originally Posted by Nik View Post
    Where did you get your bump skid? I may need one!
    SpyderPops! If the Ryker is anything like the F3, don't expect aftermarket products to be available right away.

2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default potholes washboards etc

I wonder how the Ryker will handle those. After the 2013 floods here in my area in Colorado, most of the canyons that I drive regularly were washed out in places and underwent years of repairs, in fact some are still being worked on 5 years later. The first repairs were to get the roads open again and that meant getting gravel roadbase in place just so vehicles could get up into the mountains. I regularly drove my RT and then F3 on these roads and besides the concern of getting a rock in the belt (which thankfully never happened), was dealing with a super-soft base after they added more roadbase -- there were a couple of times that the flaggers (who knew me by then) would warn me that they'd just laid down a new layer and it was super soft and I might get stuck. Not good when it's a one-lane road with a lead-vehicle leading a train of other vehicles heading up. I ended up being fine with that as long as we kept moving -- if we'd ended up having to stop, I'm not so sure I could have gotten going again because a single back wheel pushing two was difficult. I also had a rooster tail of road base behind me so the vehicle behind me was not happy and had to back way off. The second issue was washboards and/or ruts -- with 3 wheels, it's EXTREMELY difficult to find that sweet track that doesn't really jar the shocks/your back.

I'll be curious to hear about the "real world" experience on these. I have no interest in getting on since I'm still in love with my F3S, but they seem like a fantastic addition to the BRP lineup and should bring in new riders who just can't afford a Spyder. I run into a lot of younger guys who really like my F3 but get discouraged when they hear pricing. I'm going to be happy to mention another option to them next time.

2015 F3 , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Rutted roads

How would you fit three wheels into a two wheeled rut? Fronts in each rut and rear on the middle berm? Fronts on either berm and the middle tire in the rut? Or maybe just stay off unpaved roads altogether.
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    How would you fit three wheels into a two wheeled rut? Fronts in each rut and rear on the middle berm? Fronts on either berm and the middle tire in the rut? Or maybe just stay off unpaved roads altogether.
    I drive with the 2 wheels in the ruts and the back tire on the grass, but I go slow because there are often hazards hiding in the grass. We have similar issues on our gravel/dirt back roads with wooden bridges where the "tire tracks" have extra boards on them to give more support and the middle track doesn't so when you drive the spyder across it, you have the back tire drop down into a groove and then back up when you get off the bridge. Definitely a bit unnerving the first time you navigate each bridge.

2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

We have a lot of tracks here in Aus with that centre hump shown in your pic asp125, and unless the hump is massively high, it's usually not too hard to ryde my Spyder on them! Unlike many, I don't avoid dirt or gravel on my Spyder, & neither do I avoid tracks like those you show (unless the hump in the middle is waaayyy too high, but few are, cos most cars tend to 'shave them down' enough for me anyway! ) altho I have replaced the placcy undertray that the factory fits, not with a bumpskid tho, they are fairly thick & project beyond the leading edges of the tupperware, & in some circumstance (that we do tend to see here reasonably often) will work to reduce the RT's already fairly low approach angle, so I went for a locally available alloy skid plate instead (from the same bloke who makes the replacement billet windscreen arms, Noboot. ) The alloy skid plate fits neatly under the tupperware & protects the entire underside of the frunk & the leading edge of the cross member behind that, all without compromising the approach angle of the Spyder at all.

Anyhoo, getting back to wheel placement.... The width of the front wheel track on my RT is a little less than that of most cars, so generally, if I line the inside of one front wheel up with one inside edge of the hump, my rear tire will track just on the other side of the hump, leaving the other front wheel to track on the other side of that wheel track, ie, just inside the outer edge of the same wheel track that the rear wheel is running in hard up against the edge of the hump.

So all it takes is a steady hand on the tiller & lining things up properly - you can even make that 'lining up' bit easier AND avoid the back jarring bumps that potholes can give you by standing up on the pegs/floorboards, which is something I can fairly readily do on my RT, but which may possibly be not quite so easy on an F3/Ryker due to the 'feet forward/sit on your tailbone/giving birth' ryding position! But since Lamonster already makes a '3rd peg' for the F3's that you can use to stand up on, I think there might be a place in the future for something similar to go on the Rykers too! Bit harder to do, maybe, but where there's a requirement....

Oh, and so far I've managed to travel about 50k miles on my Spyder, with a fair bit of chip seal, gravel, & humped wheel track ryding included in that distance too, all without any issues with the belt!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-13-2018 at 06:01 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Default Wow you are brave

Quote Originally Posted by vondalyn View Post

I do not think that I would go up the Fall River Road on my RT.

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016
    SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera
    Show Chrome Back Rest , Show Chrome Hitch
    Leesure-lite trailer, Harbor Freight tag along trailer (sold)
    Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames
    BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors, DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs,
    DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags, Method to open Frunk and seat without using key,
    LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Wattabout snow?

OK, so the Rally edition allows for loose surfaces. Wonder if that also means SNOW. One thing that I hate about the current Spyders is that the nanny basically makes snow riding an exercise in frustration. Curious if a set of snow tires on a Ryker would extend the riding season into winter, when air temps are bearable but there is snow/slush on the pavement.
    JLohPhotos

Spyder Garage

Default Why wouldn't the Have

Made the $30,000 spyders shaft drive? I was jst wondering that when I saw the specs on it, Thanks guys

Dave

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    I do not think that I would go up the Fall River Road on my RT.
    You're close to me -- come with me one of these days and I'll lead the way.

2015 F3 , Pearl White