Spyder Garage

Default Rider education class complete, now its time to buy (used)

Hi all,
    So a while ago I posted about our desire to switch to three wheels. We took the Can-Am rider course this weekend and it was awesome!
    The wife and I both passed and learned a bunch, now we're excited to take the next step and go shopping. Before the course we were sure we wanted the RT but, after riding it for a while, we absolutely hated the seating position. For the remainder of the weekend we rode the F3 and absolutely LOVED the stretched out/feet forward seating posture. So now I'm coming to the experts, I understand the F3 only comes with the 3 cylinder and made it's debut in 2015? Is this correct? Are there rear seat backrests and saddlebags available for the F3s that don't have them? Is there an older, 2 cylinder model that has a comparable feet forward/stretched out riding posture (the only models in the class were the brand-new ones)? Many questions I know but I'm looking for the experts and you guys and gals are the best!

P.S. yes, we've seen the new Ryker and it doesn'y look like it's what we're looking for (yes, a rear seat can be added but doesn't look purpose-built for two-up).

Thanks in advance....
    2018 F3S , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by frj322 View Post
    Hi all,
    So a while ago I posted about our desire to switch to three wheels. We took the Can-Am rider course this weekend and it was awesome!
    The wife and I both passed and learned a bunch, now we're excited to take the next step and go shopping. Before the course we were sure we wanted the RT but, after riding it for a while, we absolutely hated the seating position. For the remainder of the weekend we rode the F3 and absolutely LOVED the stretched out/feet forward seating posture. So now I'm coming to the experts, I understand the F3 only comes with the 3 cylinder and made it's debut in 2015? Is this correct? Are there rear seat backrests and saddlebags available for the F3s that don't have them? Is there an older, 2 cylinder model that has a comparable feet forward/stretched out riding posture (the only models in the class were the brand-new ones)? Many questions I know but I'm looking for the experts and you guys and gals are the best!

P.S. yes, we've seen the new Ryker and it doesn'y look like it's what we're looking for (yes, a rear seat can be added but doesn't look purpose-built for two-up).

Thanks in advance....
    Congrats on passing and figuring out what model. Nothing else that I know of has the feet forward position of the f3. Yes they came out in 2015. And yes saddlebags a rear backrest and all the accessories you want are available for the f3. It all depends on your budget for a recommendation. Finding the right F3 will depend on your budget. Personally I'd look for a F3t with saddle bags etc and get a backrest for the rear passenger and be done.

Spyder Garage

Not sure what the issue was with seating position on the RT, but the passenger on the F3 definitely does not get to stretch out and they sit quite a bit higher than the driver, so they are more subject to buffeting. My wife and others have stated that they absolutely hated the higher up passenger seating position of the F3. I agree that I like the F3 driver position better, though.

Edit: Unless of course you are buying an F3 for each of you!
    Last edited by Boilermaker; 09-10-2018 at 01:05 PM.

Spyder Garage

Glad you enjoyed the class and decided on the model for you.

The class my daughter recently took had the F3 Limited which is a lot different than the F3 or F3S which came out in 2015.

If you are going to ride 2 up I would go for the 2016 or newer F3T or F3L - thinking it would be more comfortable.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

frj322

on getting to this point of the process!
    Now comes the tough part: figuring out which one fits the bill!
    You're gonna have to go sit on, and hopefully test ride the ones that fit the best...
    So Happy hunting!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info so far folks.
    It was the driving position on the RT that made the decision, not the passenger's seat. Most of the time we would be switching out (one week for me and one week for my wife) and on the weekends we'd be riding two-up. The driving position on the F3 was just SOOOO much more comfortable and laid-back.
    2018 F3S , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by frj322 View Post
    Thanks for the info so far folks.
    It was the driving position on the RT that made the decision, not the passenger's seat. Most of the time we would be switching out (one week for me and one week for my wife) and on the weekends we'd be riding two-up. The driving position on the F3 was just SOOOO much more comfortable and laid-back.
    Like I said earlier some of this will depend on your budget, but if you are each going to be ryding, then I think taking a look at the ryker in person and going for a test ryde might be a good idea. Maybe if you can wait for some rebates on it you can afford to each have your own and you won't have to worry about ryding two up ever.

Spyder Garage

Default 2 UP

If you look around on here, you'll see that the F3-S is not really made for 2-UP either. While it has a passenger seat the rear shock is not adequate for more than occasional short trips with a passenger. By the time you get a F3-S and add a passenger backrest $400, decent rear shock $600, saddlebags $1400 and maybe some arm rests $400 you might getting close to the F3-T price.

You said you will mostly be riding 1-up and only 2-up on the weekends, so you really need to consider how many of those extras you'd really want. If you just plan on doing short day trips and you're both on the lighter side, you could probably live without most everything except the backrest.
    2017 F3 , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good luck in your Spyder search.

Did you see this one for sale here: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...7-f3s-for-sale ??
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)