Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JAS POWER View Post

One thing for sure and Harley has this problem too is not everyone likes the mid mount or forward pegs. I prefer more of a sport position with the peg pulled back more from the mid point, I can't see if they allow that or not. Doesn't seem that way though.

I'm with you on this and if that's the case this is another new Spyder I will not purchase. Test ride will tell me real quick

Spyder Garage

I find it interesting that BRP cut the warranty in half for the Ryker. Only 1 year with up to 3 more BEST so max of 4 yrs coverage and the CVT belt is not covered. Its a wear component like the clutch and brakes.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Look at the engine specs:

600cc ACE in-line two cylinder starting at $8499 - 47hp 35torque
    900cc ACE in-line three cylinder starting at $9999 - 77hp 56 torque

Not much oomph going on there...…especially with a CVT where you can't drop a gear when passing, etc.

Such low torque won't bode well for off-roading.....

I always enjoy reading your statements on this site, thank you. They always remind me that if I believe that everything is about me and designed for me I will also become very negative about everything. Oh, of course I would not be negative about myself, since I am the best there is and a personal expert on everything.

Look, the Ryker is designed for a different experience. Why would a company design a new model to replace a popular one, it would be shifting money from the right pocket to the left. Yes, sometimes the old needs replaced, as I believe that the RT will soon meet its end, but the Ryker is designed and marketed for a different class.

They did not make it to appeal to the RT or F3 Ryder, it is for others. Look at it like those old Big Wheel plastic trikes that were around eons ago.

Foot forward, very low to the ground, wide stance, you could go fast, slide, drift and just have a ball. Well, Ryker is feet forward, low seat (low CG) and wide stance.

I would not give up my RT for one, I would for an F3, but I would love to have one of these in the garage just for fun and maybe a hundred or so mile, mind escape, trip from home and back.

This is for a different Ryder in order to bring more people in, NOT to encourage you to replace yours.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    This is for a different Ryder in order to bring more people in, NOT to encourage you to replace yours.

Joe
    That's the way BRP is looking at it. Get the new ryders to see what a Spyder is about, and then get them to buy the more expensive ones next.
    I'm also seeing many people talking about the Ryker as a second Spyder for their significant others. Again that gets two Spyders in the garage where before there was only one.
    A smart move on BRP's part of it works.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Doesn't anybody else remember how "dorky" we all thought the F-3 looked back in late 2014?

And then folks started riding them...
    This bike will help to expand the Can Am lineup into untapped markets.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    I would not give up my RT for one, I would for an F3, but I would love to have one of these in the garage just for fun and maybe a hundred or so mile, mind escape, trip from home and back.

Joe
    I also think this new line also gives BRP "freedom" to take risks and get a feel for what people like and don't like before bringing them in the Spyder line. For instance, a drive shaft with a fully automatic CVT sound like a great idea for the Spyder's future...but that could also be a huge risk on changing the Spyder experience. Let the Ryker design take some risks before taking any drastic steps toward the Spyder. A motorcycle owner will be a lot more forgiving for a design mistake made on a $10,000 Ryker than his or her $25,000 Spyder.

Personally, if I owned moped/bicycle rental shop in some tourist area...I'd buy a few Rykers to offer customers. There are a lot more opportunities in bringing the Ryker to new customers. The other day, I had a young construction worker stop me at the intersection and ask me what I was riding. My initial thoughts were he likely couldn't afford my RT Limited unless he sacrificed a lot of his budget. The Ryker puts a reverse trike within reach for so many new demographics that a Spyder couldn't...should be a lot of fun to see how people react to it.

2017 Spyder RT Limited - Champagne Metallic Chrome
    - Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Next Gen LED Bumpskid, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights
    2021 Spyder RT Limited - Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    - Replaced 2021 Stock Handlebars with F3 Stock Handlebars, BRP Adjustable Driver Backrest, Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights, SPYDERPOPS ""BRAKER BARS" Brake/Run Lights

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    Its definitely aimed towards young people of a certain size and shape. A big guy like me would never be able to ride that. And I like it too.
    more aimed at the younger generation. Sporty cheap and gets you around and safer than 2 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Baxter View Post
    Those tires don't look like the stock Kendas we're used to seeing. Maybe BRP is using a new OEM brand?
    16" tires

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    more aimed at the younger generation. Sporty cheap and gets you around and safer than 2 wheels.
    And Now that the base F3 is down to 15,999 they have a place to jump to without breaking the bank!
    Being a Local area rider I want a Ryker -Depending on the ride results we will see this week?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Check dealer specials.. mine had 2017 base models for $9,700. Too good of a deal to pass up.....
    The only discount my dealer has is whatever BRP offers even on two and three year leftovers.

Spyder Garage

The more exposure I get to the Ryker, the more I like it. I doubt I'll like it enough to give up the greater power, better ergonomics, manual 6-speed, and cruise control of my '13 RS-S. Or the paid-in-full title I have for it.

2013 RS-S SM5 [His] • 2021 RT Base [Hers] • 1977 Bultaco custom roadster • 1974 Harley-Davidson/Aermacchi 350 SS

Spyder Garage

I wonder how well they will really do on dirt roads. It isn’t really a dirt bike... but I could use it for one!

Spyder Garage

Default Off road...?

I don't quite understand how they are marketing this as being able to go off raod. From my understanding it sits lower than the F3 which stuggles to get out of most driveways.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's more of an "un-paved road" bike.
    The shaft drive removes the chances of destroying the belt with a couple of small pebbles...

Spyder Garage

The Rally Edition has a slightly higher (1" I think) ride height, different tires, and a re-calibrated nanny mode that won't freak out on soft/loose surfaces.

2013 RS-S SM5 [His] • 2021 RT Base [Hers] • 1977 Bultaco custom roadster • 1974 Harley-Davidson/Aermacchi 350 SS

Spyder Garage

An area dealer (Pitbull Powersports) uploaded a video from the Ryker intro to their Facebook feed. I grabbed a GIF of the glove box, and the quick-release footpeg adjustment, two interesting features I thought you'd all like to see.

Here's a link to the whole video, for those of you on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/pitbullpowe...1516234210943/
    Last edited by Tanshanomi; 09-11-2018 at 03:23 PM.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jid View Post
    I wonder how well they will really do on dirt roads. It isn’t really a dirt bike... but I could use it for one!
    Could maybe be a good substitute for the typical heavy weight dual sport bike. They're made for dirt and gravel but not trails.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tanshanomi View Post
    An area dealer uploaded a video from the Ryker intro to their Facebook feed. I grabbed a GIF of the glove box, and the quick-release footpeg adjustment, two interesting features I thought you'd all like to see.

Here's a link to the whole video, for those of you on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/pitbullpowe...1516234210943/
    Thanks Soooo Much- Just what I was looking for!! More video's should be coming-I hope?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Could maybe be a good substitute for the typical heavy weight dual sport bike. They're made for dirt and gravel but not trails.
    For the money, that’s what I’m thinking. It isn’t a RZR but it isn’t an ATV. Would be fun on the dirt though. Not the crazy Jeep dirt but a little dirt.

Spyder Garage

Hello old friends... saw all the hub-bub and figured I'd read up on the latest addition to the Spyder family.

I won't revisit what everyone's written about it, but I have yet to see anyone in any thread mention what I imagine may become a critical market for the Ryker: urban stunters.

Yeah, a lot of these kids are riding bikes and quads of questionable provenance-- and definitely breaking a host of laws in doing so-- but many aren't, i.e. these are bought and re-built and farkled and blinged out the same as any other legal bike and quad. There are a lot of stunters in the Washington, D.C. area-- I mean A LOT, the video below is about Baltimore but the same could be made about Washington-- and some of their rides are damn impressive for what they are, i.e. the Ryker will be far more expensive than a beat-up used ATV, but given its super customizable nature, I can see plenty of younger men with money to spare trying to impress their peers with what is, in effect, a street-legal version of the quads we see riding around illegally.

Is it a huge market? Probably not-- but it's a market, and one that's unserved by the existing Spyder designs, and-- *more importantly*-- unserved by ANY major manufacturer, as quads are illegal in every city in America... but the Ryker won't be.

So, that's my bottom line assessment: the Ryker isn't meant to compete with Spyders, nor is it meant to compete with motorcycles-- it's meant to compete with *quads*. You won't be able to ride it off-road like mad like a real ATV, but you *will*, but even better, you'll be able to ride it everywhere on the street-- a place you *can't* ride ATVs today.

There's a market there, folks. We'll see how large.

Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In the video he says he topped out about 75 mph. I wonder how much more it had? In my mind it needs to hit damn close to 100mph or its not going to work for me. I cruise a lot of roads in the 70-80 range so I spend a lot of time in that speed range. If this tops out at 75-80 That's bad for me.

He also said it feels just like sitting on an F3. That's bad for me as well.

Well, without test riding it myself it looks as though the new bike excitement is over. Better go change the oil on the RS. Going to be keeping it for a while.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jid View Post
    For the money, that’s what I’m thinking. It isn’t a RZR but it isn’t an ATV. Would be fun on the dirt though. Not the crazy Jeep dirt but a little dirt.
    Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    ...as quads are illegal in every city in America... but the Ryker won't be. ...it's meant to compete with *quads*. You won't be able to ride it off-road like mad like a real ATV, but you *will*, but even better, you'll be able to ride it everywhere on the street-- a place you *can't* ride ATVs today.
    I don't think so. Quads are a whole different animal! Actually they are legal on streets and county roads in many western states. But they are not legal on state and federal highways.

How familiar are you guys with dual sport bikes, particularly the so-called heavy weights? In addition to being an entirely new category of street machines for local and short distance riding I really believe BRP designed the Ryker to be ridden on countryside and mountain roads that are dirt and gravel. There are a lot of them in Idaho. In fact, I've been told Idaho is the premier dual sport state in the country!

Last year at Homecoming I was talking to one of the big whigs in Spyder development and told him they really needed to come out with a version of the Spyder geared to tolerate dirt and gravel roads. I said I really believed there was a market, albeit small, for such a machine. I don't recall exactly what his reaction was, but he was receptive. Obviously he already knew that they were going to do that with the Ryker. But, he sure as heck did not drop one hint about its existence!
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 09-11-2018 at 04:33 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

This is a DIFFERENT animal. The F3 and the RT already fill specific sets of needs, and there's no reason to split up the focus to create even more variation there (they tried that, and it failed). This one is about taking a day ride on pavement and dirt road, and being more "in" the ride. I'd love one, but it feels a lot like a second machine, rather than a compromise that tries to be too many things at the same time. It's accessible, looks like a hell of a lot of fun, and should do a great deal to build the base of the business, which benefits us all.

Personally, I love the looks of it - and the F3 has grown on me as well. I think it's great to introduce something completely NEW with three wheels that will appeal to a different audience.

I think they have been very smart to limit the number of different bikes (now three) and offer variation within those options. It's easier on the manufacturing, and we want them to succeed.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    I have yet to see anyone in any thread mention what I imagine may become a critical market for the Ryker: urban stunters.
    That's because you'd be hard pressed to find a vehicle less marketable to "urban stunters" than a nanny-bot governed machine that has no clutch and cannot wheelie.