Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by delkhouri View Post
    thank you for posting that.... I checked out their website but they don't have anything close to those prices posted... they just say "request a quote".... then again the only '17 they have online is an RTS with savings of $9500 taking the price to $18,999.
    As I said.. this was in the summer....

Others still have old stock laying around I'm sure. The prices and big rebates always happen once the new model years are announced. I just got an email about big factory rebates on 2018 models....

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

I have spent my first hour on site to review what everyone has posted about the new Ryker.

It's looking like BRP has come up with an "interesting" should I say "winner?"

The pricing hit the advertising teaser. You can build the machine you want, but that will cost a bit more. I think they learned that from the F3 marketing.

Shaft drive, lots of colors, two more engine configurations, "off road" capabilities...what's not to like?

Would like to hear how they came up with the name...? Sounds like a little to much "Star Trek" (thanks Bob).

Glad to see a few more color options in the RT line up also. And...they have dropped the price by a couple $K for the RTL.

Those clamoring for "off road" and "hot rods" now have many more options than before. What are you folks going to do?

All in all...there seems to be more positives than negatives. I forsee new customers coming into the dealerships, and more Spyders/Rykers on the road. Time will tell.

to BRP for some "good stuff" to discuss.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    The CVT transmission in cars are the same but very different then used in snowmobiles or the Ryker. So the comparisons may, but will very likely not apply.

The cvt car transmission has a steel push belt lubricated in oil. Controlled completely by computer over hydraulics.

The Ryker has a rubber pull belt. It looks like it has a conventional snowmobile type clutch. So I assume it is controlled mechanically by the interactions of springs, ramp weight and angle. Under different rpm and torque loads.

I am also assuming so far. That this that I found on the BRP website is a mistake. If not it is computer controlled.

That image is accurate to what is in the sleds. Not computer controlled. It has spring, ramps, etc like you mention. You can see the 6 ramp towers in the lower clutch housing. Each one has a weight and there is a spring in the center. The upper clutch has a spring and helix ramp in the center housing

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Aprilia Mana 850 motorcycle had a CVT transmission that was equipper with a paddle shifter. The CVT tranny was computer controlled and the CVT used a belt like most ATV's etc. We had one and it was a Hot Rod.

The big 650 Suzuki Scooter has a computer controlled CVT transmission that uses a steel belt in an oil bath. Every combination seems to be in successful and accepted use.

Some of you all seem to want a F3T for $10K............
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post

Would like to hear how they came up with the name...? Sounds like a little to much "Star Trek" (thanks Bob).
    IMO - StrYker or StrYder would be a better fit for the name.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old Timer View Post
    Some of you all seem to want a F3T for $10K............
    Know where I can get one?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarvG View Post
    IMO - StrYker or StrYder would be a better fit for the name.
    I like the sounds of Stryder

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Correction--- what I meant was the SHAFT DRIVE.....
    And why do you think a shaft drive will suck up power? Gears are very efficient at transmitting power. I think the shaft drive will suck up less power than the belt drive does.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by delkhouri View Post
    I like the sounds of Stryder
    I think Stryder is already trademarked from a video game.

Spyder Garage

Default Very Interesting

Being a new Spyder owner, I will say that I spent a lot of time planning to buy a used model in the 10-12K range. But the rebates on the '17 models in the early summer convinced me to spend a little more the get something new, and I bought a F3-S. I think the F3 is a good looking machine, but it did take a little while to grow on me. However, but I still think the RS and ST were better looking. I'm personally not a fan of the boxy look and wish they had gone with a sporty look instead.

That price point is going to gather a LOT of attention though. I think if this was available when I was buying, it would have been given very serious consideration, despite the looks. The CVT is going to make this even more accessible to a lot of buyers that don't even want have to use the paddle shifter. I would expect that in a year if you visit a dealership you'll find they have almost exclusively Rykers on the floor.

I expect this will be bringing a lot more people into Spyder/Ryker community. I'd also bet that you'll soon find quite a few on the used market with low mileage as people decide to upgrade.

The color panels remind me of my old Dell Inspiron Laptop circa 2003 with replaceable color panels!
    2017 F3 , Blue

Spyder Garage

Default From Business Insider

If you’ve ever taken a closer look at big, burly cruisers of today, you must have seen a belt driving the rear wheel, instead of a chain that you see on your everyday motorcycles. In case you haven’t managed a peek yet, we’re talking about a belt-drive. So how different are these belt drives from the usual chains that you see on other motorcycles?

To be honest, not much. The mechanism is more or less the same – the belt or the chain are the bike’s ‘final drive’. It is essentially the assembly that delivers the engine’s power, after it has passed through everything, including the gearbox. In short, the final drive turns the rear wheel with whatever power the engine generates.

The main difference, between a belt and chain drive is that of what the motorcycle is intended for.
    Chain drives just happen to be the most economical ones, and they also lose the least amount of power (the actual power that reaches the wheel is always lesser than the power generated by the engine). They are indeed stronger and can take a lot of stress (that’s why you’ll always see chain drives on dirt-bikes), but they have their set of drawbacks in terms of maintenance. Chains are essentially rings of metal linked together, hence they need to be lubricated properly at all times. If you don’t take good care of them, they’ll get mangled up, break under high tension or even damage the sprockets. Chains may also develop slack over time, so you’ll need to adjust them periodically.

Belt drives, on the other hand, are usually seen in cruisers because they require less maintenance. Made for longevity, these rubber belts are reinforced with metal wires inside them for durability, hence they’re quite strong too. Although they’re expensive than chain drives, belt drives also offer a smoother ride, and don’t create the mess that flying chain lube can cause. But while we’re on the topic of smoothness, the best in terms of a hassle-free ride is probably the shaft drive.

It is essentially the same technology that’s used in cars – the engine makes some power, and a turning shaft delivers the same to the wheels. Of the three, shaft drives require the least amount of maintenance – all you need to do is check that the oil reservoir has optimum levels of lube.
    Since you don’t have a dangling component like a belt or a chain, shaft-drives are used in adventure-touring motorcycles, which benefit from the added ground clearance. But they have their drawbacks too – because there are a lot of gears involved in power delivery, the power loss is the highest.
    Also, the assembly is heavier, adding bulk to your ride.

https://www.thehindubusinessline.com...le20899614.ece

Spyder Garage

Default Belt wear

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    i question how well the cvt belt will hold up to road use. 2-3K miles on a sled belt and its time for a replacement.
    I just checked the belt wear on my Ski-Doo Renegade with the Ace 900 engine. A new belt is 1.468" wide, and my belt, after 4,667 miles is 1.463" wide, so it has worn down just .005" in over 4,600 miles of use. Seems like the belt will last well over 2-3K miles.

Spyder Garage

Default Stolen from Goldwing trike conversion

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Red RT-S View Post
    I just checked the belt wear on my Ski-Doo Renegade with the Ace 900 engine. A new belt is 1.468" wide, and my belt, after 4,667 miles is 1.463" wide, so it has worn down just .005" in over 4,600 miles of use. Seems like the belt will last well over 2-3K miles.
    Maybe, hard to say? I'm sure riding style would play into that. Let's say a belt lasts 8-10K? That would fine. Belts are pretty cheap and easy to change.

Spyder Garage

That image is accurate to what is in the sleds. Not computer controlled. It has spring, ramps, etc like you mention. You can see the 6 ramp towers in the lower clutch housing. Each one has a weight and there is a spring in the center. The upper clutch has a spring and helix ramp in the center housing
    So you are saying the text is incorrect and not a 6 speed?

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    So you are saying the text is incorrect and not a 6 speed?
    Ah, you know I didn't see the small text. Based on sleds that set up is not a 6 speed and not computer controlled. It's mechanical. Its possible its different in the Ryker? BRP needs to release more info.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ah, you know I didn't see the small text. Based on sleds that set up is not a 6 speed and not computer controlled. It's mechanical. Its possible its different in the Ryker? BRP needs to release more info.

Text is different on this page.

https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/exper...hnologies.html

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    And why do you think a shaft drive will suck up power? Gears are very efficient at transmitting power. I think the shaft drive will suck up less power than the belt drive does.
    They're heavy for starters and every time the power goes through a gear you lose some power, especially when you have to 'turn' that power 90 degrees.. you're going to lose much more than a direct drive belt or chain.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

From the BRP website: "Automatic, intuitive twist-and-go transmission and no gear shifting..."

Sure sounds like a typical CVT. If there are electronic shift points, I'm betting that's an "artificial" mode that can be turned on and off—like the Mana's—since CVTs are most efficient when they adjust infinitely.

2013 RS-S SM5 [His] • 2021 RT Base [Hers] • 1977 Bultaco custom roadster • 1974 Harley-Davidson/Aermacchi 350 SS

Spyder Garage

So it is. I think my first instinct is correct and the brochure is incorrect. This link is correct. Simple CVT.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tanshanomi View Post
    From the BRP website: "Automatic, intuitive twist-and-go transmission and no gear shifting..."

Sure sounds like a typical CVT. If there are electronic shift points, I'm betting that's an "artificial" mode that can be turned on and off—like the Mana's—since CVTs are most efficient when they adjust infinitely.
    Artificial shift points would be a dumb ass thing to. Let the CVT do it's thing. I agree with you. Far more efficient.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Looks

I really don't mind how it looks except for the Bullwinkle mirrors on the handlebars. That is a place the aftermarket can start.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Love the look... BUT

Remember these are my opinions and observations so don't get bent out of shape if they don't match yours.

I like the look of the new design. It took me a few years to like the Spyder enough to buy an F3. This really is not much different in design than what we already all drive. I checked out the pictures and thought, Cool! lower seat height. Then I watched the videos and to me they look like they are still sitting high. I had a Vette so yea, I like draggin my ass.

As for off roading, you can't take it literally with forward foot controls, come on guys. My two other Buts, CVT and no clutch. Change those two things and I would consider trading mine in.

I do like the off road option for what I see in the future. Flat Tracking! Since the first time I saw the Ryker I thought what would it be like to get this out on a flat track for some hot laps... I'd like to see that in a Can-Am video!

Anyway, it does have it's appeal. First time riders and customizers should have a blast with this.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by davehirst View Post
    I have a Subaru outback as well as a Toyota Tacoma. Both have CVT transmissions and both are capable of dropping a gear to pass. Not sure what you are talking about in reference to this. On both you hear the Tranny shifting and can manually shift via paddle shift on the Subaru.
    The Outback with CVT, I'll believe that. A Tacoma with CVT - not so much

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Back To The Name For A Moment...

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Ryker

It seems that BRP picked out a name with some strong "Street Credentials".
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black