Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

I like it, I wish they would make my RTL shaft driven. Chris

2021 RT Limited
    2021 Spyder RT Liminted , Marsala Red in Black

Spyder Garage

Default CVT

I have a Subaru outback as well as a Toyota Tacoma. Both have CVT transmissions and both are capable of dropping a gear to pass. Not sure what you are talking about in reference to this. On both you hear the Tranny shifting and can manually shift via paddle shift on the Subaru.
    2015 RT S , None Tried one, but took it off. Didn't like it Black and Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Shaft drive?
    Now that "the tip of the Camel's nose, is inside the tent-flap": who knows where it'll show up next?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I like that they went to a hub in the rear.
    This should make changing and upgrading tyres much easier.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by davehirst View Post
    I have a Subaru outback as well as a Toyota Tacoma. Both have CVT transmissions and both are capable of dropping a gear to pass. Not sure what you are talking about in reference to this. On both you hear the Tranny shifting and can manually shift via paddle shift on the Subaru.
    Dave,
    It's NOTHING like your Suby's CVT. Ski Doo has been using this type of tranny in their snowmobile for over 60 years, and they've got it to the point where it's 100% reliable and smooth.

Automotive CVTs can only wish that they were half as good!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderSkeets View Post
    Looks kinda cool, but I don't think that I will ever buy one simply because of the stupid name.
    "Hey, that looks cool, what is that?"
    "Well, that's my new Can Am Ryker" ugggh
    They should call it Guppy! To me that's what it looks like from the side!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Hi Dan!
    You have to remember that this bike wasn't "Built for the Blackwater..."
    It was built more for the dirt road, the poorly maintained road, and the sort of off-road trail that you might take your Grandma on...
    You mean it was built for northern Ontario !!! ( poorly maintained roads )
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

True CVT's don't have 'gears to drop into'...… The Tacoma is a 'hybrid' CVT as it still has a first gear it uses before the CVT kicks in.
    You also have to realize the Tacoma is a torque monster compared to these fugly mopeds:

600cc ACE in-line two cylinder - 47hp 35torque

900cc ACE in-line three cylinder - 77hp 56 torque

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's a different animal. There are no gears, very few moving parts in fact. You have a primary clutch and a secondary clutch (basically 2 pulleys that "squeeze" the belt between them). Between those 2 clutches is a belt. As RPMS go up or down the clutches open or close to shift the position of the belt in them. This provides an infinite number of points (gears) in the power range. You never have to shift and you will never over rev the engine (provided the clutches are set up properly) but that also mean if you want a bunch of instant power you can't just drop a gear and punch it. Punching it will make you go faster but in more of a linear fashion (especially with these motors). You could let off the throttle a bit and then punch it but still its more of a linear power build. I can see how quick passing might be difficult with these bikes.

I'll have to ride one to see if it delivers a satisfying amount of power and fun for me. The styling is fine for me. The bare bones nature is fine for me. A test ride will tell me if the engine/CVT deliver enough fun and if the seating position can be adjusted to be a non cruiser comfortable position. As much as I want to buy a new Spyder it looks like I'll be riding the RS for at least another year.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Y-me View Post
    I like that they went to a hub in the rear.
    This should make changing and upgrading tyres much easier.
    Yeah.. that, the single swingarm and the shaft drive are the only positives I see about this machine.
    You lose a bunch of power using a SHAFT DRIVE, so I wouldn't think it will make it's way into an F3 until they get the engine into the 1800 range.
    Last edited by Firefly; 09-10-2018 at 09:42 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They've been "testing" this package in the Cammander UTV for years: it's going to work out just fine!
    Within of course: the limitations imposed by the parameters for what they perceive the target market is willing to buy...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Look at the engine specs:

600cc ACE in-line two cylinder starting at $8499 - 47hp 35torque
    900cc ACE in-line three cylinder starting at $9999 - 77hp 56 torque

Not much oomph going on there...…especially with a CVT where you can't drop a gear when passing, etc.

Such low torque won't bode well for off-roading.....

Power to weight ratio on the 900 is actually nearly the same as an F3:

410KG / 115HP = 280 HP per tonne
    280KG / 77HP = 275 HP per tonne

So it wil be pretty rapid up to 70MPH, especially with the CVT. Imagine it will then struggle beyond 70.

Looks fun to me - my wife wants one and with the easily adjusted UFIT I'll be able to ride it too
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Spyder Garage

Check dealer specials.. mine had 2017 base models for $9,700. Too good of a deal to pass up.....
    Where did you get that deal? I have a friend looking to buy one.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Under the skin.

2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yeah.. that, the single swingarm and the shaft drive are the only positives I see about this machine.
    You lose a bunch of power using a swingarm, so I wouldn't think it will make it's way into an F3 until they get the engine into the 1800 range.
    I'm not sure how you lose power with a swing arm. All the current spyders have swing arms.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

I like the look going by limited viewing of one picture. I praise can am for introducing new models and attempting to widen the appeal of spyders to younger generations to help all of us.

Spyder Garage

So who wants to be the first to take one to Deadhorse up the Dalton Highway or to Tuk on the Dalton. That would be a good gravel test.

Spyder Garage

Dave,
    It's NOTHING like your Suby's CVT. Ski Doo has been using this type of tranny in their snowmobile for over 60 years, and they've got it to the point where it's 100% reliable and smooth.

Automotive CVTs can only wish that they were half as good!

SkiDoo do not have a 100,000 mile life either. 20k is considered OLD. I have concerns with this CVT over the long haul on a road bike.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

You can find 2017 base model F3's brand new for under 10K right now......
    can you show us where they can be had?

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They've been "testing" this package in the Cammander UTV for years: it's going to work out just fine!
    Within of course: the limitations imposed by the parameters for what they perceive the target market is willing to buy...
    Testing in the sleds too since about 2012. I own a 900 ACE sled for my wife. My buddy has a Commander SxS. The setup works great in those vehicles as long as you're not looking for performance. They are both more utilitarian feeling (to me than) than fun. I'm not knocking the Ryker at all. It has potential and I'd love to ride one. All I can really say for sure is........ the other 2 BRP vehicles I have owned/used with this setup are very reliable. As long as you don't ask or expect too much from them they are fine for getting out and riding.

All that said, drop the 900 ACE Turbo at 147hp (detuned) in one and then you'd have much more of a performance machine. That might be the next logical step for the Ryker product line and in fact maybe the reason they started with the 600 and 900 engines?

I don't understand the ultra low seat height personally. I get it on a 2 wheeled bike. The entry level bikes are geared more toward women and less experienced riders and the lower seat height allows them to get to the ground easier or more comfortably. That's not an issue on a Spyder/Ryker. The only reason I see for the lower seat height in the Spyder/Ryker is to help with the centerfugal force feeling. BRP or the aftermarket needs to offer a kit that allows the rider to raise the seat up and down 1-4". Why would you want a "rally" bike with an ultra low seating position?

I don't understand the rally version either. I could be wrong but the only difference I see between the standard and rally version is the tires (more all season type tread), the wheel style (which I don't like, they came off my Toyota Tundra), the rally mode computer setting and some standard accessories (the hand guards and shell that holds the passenger seat and storage box). There is really nothing about it that makes it any more capable off road from what I can see and you could buy a standard Ryker and just add the options (maybe cheaper) and have the same bike. Unless I'm missing something?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    SkiDoo do not have a 100,000 mile life either. 20k is considered OLD. I have concerns with this CVT over the long haul on a road bike.
    I would agree with this. The setup is very reliable but not sure on the longevity. 20-30-40K miles seems like a lot for a CVT. I guess the only thing in my mind saying its not a big deal is the fact that you can replace the entire CVT setup for less than $1000
    Last edited by Rob Rodriguez; 09-10-2018 at 09:25 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    I don't understand the rally version either. I could be wrong but the only difference I see between the standard and rally version is the tires (more all season type tread), the wheel style (which I don't like, they came off my Toyota Tundra), the rally mode computer setting and some standard accessories (the hand guards and shell that holds the passenger seat and storage box). There is really nothing about it that makes it any more capable off road from what I can see and you could buy a standard Ryker and just add the options (maybe cheaper) and have the same bike. Unless I'm missing something?
    Well exactly, although it does have different adjustable shocks. Mostly marketing I think but every brand does it - you're just not taken in by it.

Every new iphone launch there is a new colour like they've reinvented the wheel. Just buy a case for the older model in whatever colour you want!!
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Belt technologies have improved dramatically in recent years...
    And the CVT parts are more than easy to tinker with!

But these bikes won't be marketed to the high-mileage riders anyway.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Floridian2017 View Post
    Where did you get that deal? I have a friend looking to buy one.
    Leaders Marine Kalamazoo Michigan.

Spyder Garage

I am eager to see the performance stats and to find out how much drift mode really disabled the nanny. If the power is sufficient this could be my first Spyder. I almost bought an F3 but didn’t pull the trigger.

Love the idea of a Turbo 900... or of someone unlocking the computer to free up some power.

BTW - I like the look. Agree on the snowmobile qualities.