Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ofdave View Post
    can you show us where they can be had?
    This was the ad from this summer..... I picked one up and I know I wasn't the only buyer to get this deal.
    Leaders Marine in Kalamazoo Michigan...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jid View Post
    I am eager to see the performance stats and to find out how much drift mode really disabled the nanny. If the power is sufficient this could be my first Spyder. I almost bought an F3 but didn’t pull the trigger.

Love the idea of a Turbo 900... or of someone unlocking the computer to free up some power.

BTW - I like the look. Agree on the snowmobile qualities.
    The computers can be reflashed to get more power.
    Power Commander is coming out with a unit that lets you reflash things yourself.....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    I'm not sure how you lose power with a swing arm. All the current spyders have swing arms.
    Correction--- what I meant was the SHAFT DRIVE.....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    This was the ad from this summer..... I picked one up and I know I wasn't the only buyer to get this deal.

Hell, wait a year and you can pick up the Ryker for $5-$8K (depending on model) at this pricing

Spyder Garage

Default RYKER

I wonder if it has reverse.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sharp View Post

My guess is yes. The SxS and Sleds with this setup do. It's called RER and the engine actually spins backward which turns the clutch in the opposite direction. That's how reverse is achieved. The beauty is.......no extra parts for reverse.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree... When is the last time you saw a reverse gearbox in a sled: Twenty years ago?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    My guess is yes. The SxS and Sleds with this setup do. It's called RER and the engine actually spins backward which turns the clutch in the opposite direction. That's how reverse is achieved. The beauty is.......no extra parts for reverse.
    They do not spin 4 stroke engines backwards for reverse. That is only a 2 stroke thing. It has to be mechanical reverse. Just like all sleds with a 4 stroke engine.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I know there is a lot of buzz about it right now... but I think it is Fugly... It will be on that list on the web one day about cars and bikes that should have never left the drawing board (as far as looks go). I remember folks laughing and saying how ugly an aftermarket option (I think for a goldwing) that looks a lot like this was. If you want something for off road get something really built for off road... ATV... Just my opinion.
    Last edited by maxxheadroom; 09-10-2018 at 10:58 AM.

Spyder Garage

They finally made the elan.

Good on them.

The Power of Logic.
    Start Thinking.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sharp View Post
    the can am website says "reverse available" I don't know if its just an option you can add or if it comes standard on the 900 vs 600 or what.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    thank you for posting that.... I checked out their website but they don't have anything close to those prices posted... they just say "request a quote".... then again the only '17 they have online is an RTS with savings of $9500 taking the price to $18,999.

Spyder Garage

I say, good for BRP.
    Entry level, not complicated final drive. A draw back is storage but I bet we'll see aftermarket luggage before the year is over.
    And the single sided swingarm looks darn good.

Contrary to opinions expressed above, the CVT will do well as it had done well in many vehicles with 2 or 3 times the horsepower. Our Crosstrek does a good job with a CVT and Subaru saw fit to give it a faux shifting feeling so you feel like you are going through the gears. But you are not. The CVT without the sense or feeling of shifting does well. Comparing it to an ATV or side by side for CVT performance or belt life is not valid. It is a street machine and will seldom, if ever, be treated otherwise. The CVT will do very well. And my opinion is the Ryker will have real reverse as any vehicle with a CVT has, except scooters

Off road for the Ryker means off pavement. True off road won't be possible. Imagine going down a two lane rutted road with each front wheel in a rut and the rear sitting high atop the middle section which are often 6 or more inches above the ruts. Do you really think that's possible? Plus it is still too low for serious off road.

I see a rosy sales future for this new Can Am.

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

That thing is as ugly as a mud fence!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by delkhouri View Post
    the can am website says "reverse available" I don't know if its just an option you can add or if it comes standard on the 900 vs 600 or what.
    There’s a small lever sticking out of the lhs that you operate with your foot to put it in reverse

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Seizure alert!!

that video actually made me ill.

Spyder Garage

Do I like it? Yes I do. Do I want one? No I don't. Not my style, but it may be what many are looking for in a ride. Remember, big heavy touring rigs are not exactly flying off the showroom floors and that includes Spyders. This may just be what folks will buy. As far as the drive train holding up for many miles I am sure it will be fine. Most of these will end up in the back of the garage and never have enough miles put on them to wear anything out anyway. Just like most of the Harley's, Goldwings, and SPYDERS that are out there now. I walk more miles in a year than many folks ride and that also includes SPYDERS. I hope they sell every one that they make because a healthy profit margin would be good for their whole lineup.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

It's a different animal. There are no gears, very few moving parts in fact. You have a primary clutch and a secondary clutch (basically 2 pulleys that "squeeze" the belt between them). Between those 2 clutches is a belt. As RPMS go up or down the clutches open or close to shift the position of the belt in them. This provides an infinite number of points (gears) in the power range. You never have to shift and you will never over rev the engine (provided the clutches are set up properly) but that also mean if you want a bunch of instant power you can't just drop a gear and punch it. Punching it will make you go faster but in more of a linear fashion (especially with these motors). You could let off the throttle a bit and then punch it but still its more of a linear power build. I can see how quick passing might be difficult with these bikes.

I'll have to ride one to see if it delivers a satisfying amount of power and fun for me. The styling is fine for me. The bare bones nature is fine for me. A test ride will tell me if the engine/CVT deliver enough fun and if the seating position can be adjusted to be a non cruiser comfortable position. As much as I want to buy a new Spyder it looks like I'll be riding the RS for at least another year.
    I agree, Rob. CVTs aren't very satisfying in cars normally because they will make the engine rev up a long time before the car's speed catches up. In daily driving this probably isn't noticeable but it IS noticeable when doing max acceleration or passing. Hence, car manufacturers now build in "fake gears" into the CVTs that let the transmission hold on specific ratios in order to simulate a normal transmission. For a long time CVTs had a bad reputation for belt failure, but I hear that they are plenty reliable now, at least in cars.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Remember the old F-3 threads

Quote Originally Posted by quasi View Post
    That thing is as ugly as a mud fence!
    So was the F-3 to start and now look how many people own them. Plus a new bike with a warranty verse a used bike without
    for a new rider is golden. I will be getting one of thes for the wife and if its as much fun as it may be with weight to power ratio
    I might even get rid of the RTS. She wants her own bike once again and we only do day trips at our age due to health issues.
    Again reasonably priced used bikes are usually the older pre 2014 1300's. Just my 2 cents. Bob
    900 Ryker Wifes

Spyder Garage

The website says that DPS is not available. I wonder how stiff the steering will be?

Spyder Garage

The CVT transmission in cars are the same but very different then used in snowmobiles or the Ryker. So the comparisons may, but will very likely not apply.

The cvt car transmission has a steel push belt lubricated in oil. Controlled completely by computer over hydraulics.

The Ryker has a rubber pull belt. It looks like it has a conventional snowmobile type clutch. So I assume it is controlled mechanically by the interactions of springs, ramp weight and angle. Under different rpm and torque loads.

I am also assuming so far. That this that I found on the BRP website is a mistake. If not it is computer controlled.

cvt ryker.jpg
    Last edited by billybovine; 09-10-2018 at 12:46 PM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big F View Post
    single seater.. no place for significant other to ride??????????? NO THANKS!
    BIG F
    There is an optional "suicide" passenger seat with hand grips. I would not put my worst enemy on it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

The specs say it has reverse.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Hell, wait a year and you can pick up the Ryker for $5-$8K (depending on model) at this pricing
    Yeah.. maybe.. but it's still fugly…