Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

CuznJohn sent me this link: It's got a whole bunch of good info!

http://www.motorcycle.com/mini-featu...-revealed.html
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default If you have Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/pitbullpowe...1516234210943/

Or I you don't just click not now.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Could maybe be a good substitute for the typical heavy weight dual sport bike. They're made for dirt and gravel but not trails.
    It's going to be the Spyder version of the old Enduro bikes from the 70's. A ride made for both on road and off road, but not the best at one or the other.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by maxxheadroom View Post
    Or I you don't just click not now.
    I thought that was a bunch of typos until I saw the author's name.
    T-That Ex-xplains it.

2013 RS-S SM5 [His] • 2021 RT Base [Hers] • 1977 Bultaco custom roadster • 1974 Harley-Davidson/Aermacchi 350 SS

Spyder Garage

I will enjoy my RTL for now and keep an interested eye and ear on it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    Hello old friends... saw all the hub-bub and figured I'd read up on the latest addition to the Spyder family.

I won't revisit what everyone's written about it, but I have yet to see anyone in any thread mention what I imagine may become a critical market for the Ryker: urban stunters.

Yeah, a lot of these kids are riding bikes and quads of questionable provenance-- and definitely breaking a host of laws in doing so-- but many aren't, i.e. these are bought and re-built and farkled and blinged out the same as any other legal bike and quad. There are a lot of stunters in the Washington, D.C. area-- I mean A LOT, the video below is about Baltimore but the same could be made about Washington-- and some of their rides are damn impressive for what they are, i.e. the Ryker will be far more expensive than a beat-up used ATV, but given its super customizable nature, I can see plenty of younger men with money to spare trying to impress their peers with what is, in effect, a street-legal version of the quads we see riding around illegally.

Is it a huge market? Probably not-- but it's a market, and one that's unserved by the existing Spyder designs, and-- *more importantly*-- unserved by ANY major manufacturer, as quads are illegal in every city in America... but the Ryker won't be.

So, that's my bottom line assessment: the Ryker isn't meant to compete with Spyders, nor is it meant to compete with motorcycles-- it's meant to compete with *quads*. You won't be able to ride it off-road like mad like a real ATV, but you *will*, but even better, you'll be able to ride it everywhere on the street-- a place you *can't* ride ATVs today.

There's a market there, folks. We'll see how large.

Quads are legal in many areas.. northern Michigan has many areas where they're legal.
    With the low HP and low torque of the Ryker, CTV tranny, etc.... don't expect many of these sport riders to go for one.

If they would have given it more HP and an 8-10 inch clearance... then they just might have something more off-road friendly....

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tanshanomi View Post
    I thought that was a bunch of typos until I saw the author's name.
    T-That Ex-xplains it.

I did not give enough info.... IF you do not have facebook, when it asks you to log in or create an account at the bottom of that pop up is a link that says "not now". Just click that to v-view the video....
    Last edited by maxxheadroom; 09-11-2018 at 08:09 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by maxxheadroom View Post
    Open the Facebook link for the Best Video yet on the functions and follow Pitbullsport for other video's? You don't use Facebook then just keep fighting it out in the Off Topic area which is Just as Bad?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I don't think so. Quads are a whole different animal! Actually they are legal on streets and county roads in many western states. But they are not legal on state and federal highways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Quads are legal in many areas.. northern Michigan has many areas where they're legal.
    Yes, thank you, I was aware of the road legality of quads in select rural areas. I wrote that they're illegal in cities. Perhaps there are some smaller cities in the West that I am unfamiliar with that allow them, but those are very few. In the most populated parts of America, however, it's illegal to ride one on a street, whether they are a traditional quad ATV, or a side-by-side like a RZR. You can ride two wheels, and you can ride three wheels, but you can't ride four, period.

Which returns me to my point, which was that, in addition to being cheap, the Ryker's advantage is that, while road-biased, it can be taken onto gravel, fire, and dirt roads without risking destruction of your vehicle. For people who live "in between" ATV-friendly lands and areas where ATVs are illegal on the roads, having something that can handle both is just as handy as having a dual-sport motorcycle that, while spending 90% of its time visiting Starbucks, is still happy as a clam riding the backroads from time-to-time. To rural markets, the Ryker says, "Hey, you like riding your ATV off-road, but wouldn't it be fun to take it into town? Now you have a legal option." To urban/suburban markets, the Ryker says, "Hey, would you like something lighter that rides like an ATV on the street but is faster and, oh yeah, won't get impounded by the police?"

Much like the Spyder, the Ryker is neither fish nor fowl, but that's where its potential appeal lies. A heavy and expensive BMW GS can be a lousy off-ride bike, and there are better street bikes out there, but it's *versatile*, and it allows its owners to believe that the only limit to where they go today is how dirty they want to get. The Ryker brings that same versatility to three-wheels-- legal on the road, but also able to have fun on the dirt roads when the fancy strikes. Or, for ATV riders, they can enjoy a day out on the dirt roads without towing their vehicle from their house to the country, yet stay aboard on a ride into town for dinner, no need to switch to your car or truck.

For urban markets, trust me, do NOT underestimate that appeal, for cost and logistics prevents ATV sales from being a thing in most cities. For you can't just buy the ATV, you also need to afford the tow vehicle and trailer and have enough space to park and store everything and oh yeah hook everything up for the hour hike out to the country. With the Ryker, you don't have to do any of that now. That's a big sales hook for BRP right there.
    Last edited by daveinva; 09-12-2018 at 11:46 AM.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

For urban markets, trust me, do NOT underestimate that appeal, for cost and logistics prevents ATV sales from being a thing in most cities.
    I see your point. The Ryker could very well become the "urban ATV"! That is for sane people! Probably not for the nuts like in the video!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Definitely got me interested. BRP may have hit a homerun on this one! The used market is where it's really gonna get the brand going. People buying really fun motorcycles for 6-7K.......phenomenal.

All it has to do is not break, and I'm sold.

2012 Spyder RS S SE5 Magnesium, Power Commander V with Autotune, HMF Exhaust, Green air filter,
    TricLed/Custom Dynamics Led Project titled "Knight Rider"

Spyder Garage

Yes, thank you, I was aware of the road legality of quads in select rural areas. I wrote that they're illegal in cities. Perhaps there are some smaller cities in the West that I am unfamiliar with that allow them, but those are very few. In the most populated parts of America, however, it's illegal to ride one on a street, whether they are a traditional quad ATV, or a side-by-side like a RZR. You can ride two wheels, and you can ride three wheels, but you can't ride four, period.
    Guess it depends on what your definition of a city is. Also, a RZR can be plated as 100% street legal in many states. In Michigan you can drive them anywhere-- including our big cities if you have them properly equipped and licensed. I see one drive by my business quite often.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

How are the belts holding up?

Spyder Garage

You might want to ask that question in a new thread all of its own, rather than tagging onto the end of an older & 'not clearly related' thread.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!