Thread: Sick Spyder

Spyder Garage

Default Sick Spyder

Ok that's our service department's term not mine. Trying to stay positive. Here's the story so far: Fri. 8-31 we were driving our 2015 RT-S Spyders to the dealer in Kalamazoo on another issue with wife's bike. I had just rolled over 32k on mine, had major service done about 2k miles & 6weeks earlier, no issues just time for service. We got within .25 miles from dealer and was coming to a 4 way stop. So tapped brake to take off cruise. Started slowing, applying brake was going to allow bike to down shift on its own. Here's where it's sickness started. Bike did not down shift. Still in 6th gear at 25mph. I tried to pull back on the paddle shift to to drop to 5th. No Joy. RPMs dropped below 1000 and rolled through stop sign at about 12 mph (I think) more watching for traffic than speed. Lots happened all at same time: 1) Bike in 6th at that RPM surprised it did not stall. 2) Saw "limp" and pic of engine in yellow show on dash. 3) Still no response on trying to down shift. Ok tried rolling on throttle to avoid stalling. I now have about a tenth of a mile before next stop sign, this time at a busy highway which is just across from dealer's STEEP entrance. Last idea I had to try to regain control: I reached to key and switched off waited 3 seconds turned back on. It started back up but no change. By then I am at the stop sign and yep traffic. So I stopped foot on brake and surprise bike did not stall, but did not sound good. 5 - 10 seconds of this and traffic cleared, gave it some throttle and coughed/ sputtered across and up into dealer's lot. Shut it down. Went in to service department. Took about 10 - 15 minutes to get someone to come out to take a look. They sat on it to try to start it. Turned key on, It was still in gear 6. Surprise again it started. We both watched the display roll from 6th down to N one gear at a time. He took it for a ride in their lot but was only able to get it up to 4th. He came back and asked if he could take it down the road to get it up to 6th. Of course I said yes. 30 minutes later he returned with almost the same story I had above.
    Wed 8-5 their tech was finally able to dig into it. The next day I got a call. They are getting BRP involved. First strange thing even with all the lights showing on dash the bike had no codes. Second they had trouble getting BUDDS to even connect / communicate to bike's computer. At one point they had it stuck in R with BUDDS connected, then got it to go into N but BUDDS thought it was still in R. Even had BUDDS say there was a "no brake light" problem while tech had foot on brake peddle and he could see light was lit. A few other strange things like that, so they are waiting on BRP to get involved.

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting....🤔

Do keep us in the loop as they look into it....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Sounds like there's a gremlin loose in the bike.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by almosthere View Post
    Ok that's our service department's term not mine. Trying to stay positive. Here's the story so far: Fri. 8-31 we were driving our 2015 RT-S Spyders to the dealer in Kalamazoo on another issue with wife's bike. I had just rolled over 32k on mine, had major service done about 2k miles & 6weeks earlier, no issues just time for service. We got within .25 miles from dealer and was coming to a 4 way stop. So tapped brake to take off cruise. Started slowing, applying brake was going to allow bike to down shift on its own. Here's where it's sickness started. Bike did not down shift. Still in 6th gear at 25mph. I tried to pull back on the paddle shift to to drop to 5th. No Joy. RPMs dropped below 1000 and rolled through stop sign at about 12 mph (I think) more watching for traffic than speed. Lots happened all at same time: 1) Bike in 6th at that RPM surprised it did not stall. 2) Saw "limp" and pic of engine in yellow show on dash. 3) Still no response on trying to down shift. Ok tried rolling on throttle to avoid stalling. I now have about a tenth of a mile before next stop sign, this time at a busy highway which is just across from dealer's STEEP entrance. Last idea I had to try to regain control: I reached to key and switched off waited 3 seconds turned back on. It started back up but no change. By then I am at the stop sign and yep traffic. So I stopped foot on brake and surprise bike did not stall, but did not sound good. 5 - 10 seconds of this and traffic cleared, gave it some throttle and coughed/ sputtered across and up into dealer's lot. Shut it down. Went in to service department. Took about 10 - 15 minutes to get someone to come out to take a look. They sat on it to try to start it. Turned key on, It was still in gear 6. Surprise again it started. We both watched the display roll from 6th down to N one gear at a time. He took it for a ride in their lot but was only able to get it up to 4th. He came back and asked if he could take it down the road to get it up to 6th. Of course I said yes. 30 minutes later he returned with almost the same story I had above.
    Wed 8-5 their tech was finally able to dig into it. The next day I got a call. They are getting BRP involved. First strange thing even with all the lights showing on dash the bike had no codes. Second they had trouble getting BUDDS to even connect / communicate to bike's computer. At one point they had it stuck in R with BUDDS connected, then got it to go into N but BUDDS thought it was still in R. Even had BUDDS say there was a "no brake light" problem while tech had foot on brake peddle and he could see light was lit. A few other strange things like that, so they are waiting on BRP to get involved.
    Sounds like the same thing a friend of mine had on his 2014 RT. After being in the shop for a month, BRP finally told them to disconnect all of the wires from the back of the dash and plug them back in. BAM, problem solved and never another minutes trouble......

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Do keep us in the loop as they look into it....
    +1 Faulty speed sensor....? Will watch for results.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I will keep you up to date. I hope it gets figured out soon. Wife and I have plans for a camping trip to MO in a week from Tues. with a first stop at Spyders in the Ozarks.

Spyder Garage

Default it will be a doozie

the one " pull the instrument panel off " I can kind of see that , sort of short the computer reset , ( kind of like a home computer , that has a wifi cable box , when the computer slows really bad , and it gets a mixed digital read , turn off the computer turn off the cable box and unplug the cable box ) the instrument cluster , doesn`t really carry the electric to the computer I do not think , but if the one person unplugged the battery before they unplugged the instrument panel I could see the reset this way ... if this is what happened with the removal of the cluster ? will be something to watch and see the results ...