Spyder Garage

Default No Start -- after changing headlight bulb

Yes, you read that correctly. All I did was change my headlight bulb. Now the bike won't start.
    Battery is good.
    Kill switch is where it's supposed to be. I even tried it a few times rocking it back and forth just in case the insides were gunked up.
    Fuses that I can pull out are all good although R5 was warm to the touch. I have no idea how to get it out nor what to look for.
    Any suggestions? The Service Manual talks about BUDDS -- of course I don't have that.
    2014 ST Limited

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

What is it thst you don’t know how to remove, the fuse? Just pull the fuse out with needle nose pliers. You should have spare fuses in the fuse box cover. You can pull the relay out as well and swap it with another to check it.

Other than that I’d retrace the steps you took to change the bulb. The ST is not the easiest bulb to change. Good luck.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Changed headlight -- now won't start

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    What is it thst you don’t know how to remove, the fuse? Just pull the fuse out with needle nose pliers. You should have spare fuses in the fuse box cover. You can pull the relay out as well and swap it with another to check it. Other than that I’d retrace the steps you took to change the bulb. The ST is not the easiest bulb to change. Good luck.
    Thanks. I'll try doing that. It's not a regular mini-fuse … it's a large black R5 … relay, perhaps? I don't want to have to go back in to the headlight area. That is an awful area for a person with large hands. Eccchhhhh ….
    2014 ST Limited

Spyder Garage

Default no start

Quote Originally Posted by MurrayBrown View Post
    Thanks. I'll try doing that. It's not a regular mini-fuse … it's a large black R5 … relay, perhaps? I don't want to have to go back in to the headlight area. That is an awful area for a person with large hands. Eccchhhhh ….
    MB, It is a little(ok a lot more) wrenching but if you disassemble the front section from the frame, you will then be able to tilt it up and forward and easily access those nast headlights from the underside with all the room you would like to work with. Alot more disassembly but worth it for the reductions in cuts, scrapers and needed cuss words to complete the task!!!!

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Changed headlight -- now won't start

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    MB, It is a little(ok a lot more) wrenching but if you disassemble the front section from the frame, you will then be able to tilt it up and forward and easily access those nast headlights from the underside with all the room you would like to work with. Alot more disassembly but worth it for the reductions in cuts, scrapers and needed cuss words to complete the task!!!!

Al in Kazoo
    Hahahaha! Thanks!
    2014 ST Limited

Spyder Garage

Default Changed headlight -- now won't start -- SOLUTION -- Kill Switch

Well, the issue is RESOLVED.

When you're leaning in the handlebar area, make sure that you don't inadvertently hit the kill switch.

If the kill switch is in the OFF position, there is no way that your bike will start! :-) :-)
    2014 ST Limited

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well, the issue is RESOLVED.

When you're leaning in the handlebar area, make sure that you don't inadvertently hit the kill switch.

If the kill switch is in the OFF position, there is no way that your bike will start! :-) :-)
    Good news!!

So in your OP when you said "Kill switch is where its supposed to be", you were just telling us it was on the right handle bar, correct?

I can laugh because that one gets me every now and then after working on the Spyder!
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, you read that correctly. All I did was change my headlight bulb. Now the bike won't start.Battery is good. Kill switch is where it's supposed to be. I even tried it a few times rocking it back and forth just in case the insides were gunked up.
    In light of the final solution, this is a little perplexing....
    2014 RTL Platinum