Spyder Garage

Default Line out Audio / F3

Good afternoon every body

First don't take care of my english because I speak french

I have a F3 2016 special edition. I bought a zumo 590 from a brp dealer and mount it on a brp wiring craddle. I have a sena smh10 on my helmet.
    I want to connect a line out of the radio to the audio line in of the craddle to to be abble to listen radio in my helmet via the bluetooth of the zumo.
    I had, some years ago, a 2014 RT with a dongle and it works like that (bike audio line out > dongle line in > bluetooth to sena).
    My problem is that I don't find any audio out wire on the bike and no dealer know.
    My husband have a honda f6b and when I sold my 2014 RT we install the dongle on is bike. Last day I connect is bike audio line out on the audio line in of my zumo (to test) and I was abble to hear his radio on my helmet, so I was certain that it fonction but I need a audio line out.

There is someone who have already install that ?

Thanks very much for your help

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

The F3 radio is not at all flexible. There is no audio out, only device in through the headphone style jack or the USB port in. I have tried to add an amp, different speakers. many things. Nothing works. No line out. I often wish I had bought an F3 with no radio so I could add aftermarket audio, but didn't. If I ever figure it out, I will post with details. I have a few things left to try, but not optimistic.
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Default Zumo 590 & Radio F3 2016

Thank you very much for your answer and I will continue to search
    If I find something, I will let you know
    Have a good day

Spyder Garage

If it helps after two months, I have a possible encouraging answer. There is a line out available on my 2017 F3T, it requires the same cable that feeds audio to the the Bluetooth audio transmitter (same as the one offered by Motorcycle Dave on this forum). Dave was kind enough to sell me a cable instead of the cable/Sena transmitter set (thanks Dave!!) after I conferred with Finless Bob and confirmed that the cable would work. Unlike the RT, the radio main unit on the F3T is located at the tail but has the same two sockets as the RT radio main unit; one for the comm system main cable and the other for options (the entertainment cable or BT cable). Plugging the BT cable into the radio is easy, unlike the RT videos I've seen as the socket is clear of obstructions. The line out volume is not controlled by the bike's volume control; I'm guessing it's taken out upstream of the amplifier.

Now I'm going out to plug in my MotoChello audio center and see if the line input volume is sufficient. If it is, I'll have headsets without having had to pay the outrageous price for the Can-Am CB and headsets.

Edit: CONFIRMED! I have audio out to my MotoChello. It is NOT controlled by the Spyder's volume control, but since the MotoChello has its own volume, and auto-volume, controls that's a small detail. You will probably want to go into the radio options and turn off the speakers. Ive mounted the MotoChello in the space allotted for the CB main unit since I plan to mount either an aftermarket top box or the factory one (if I can stomach the price) without any speakers in it as we both use headsets exclusively.
    Last edited by grumpyoldretiredcop; 11-19-2018 at 10:17 AM.
    2017 F3T , Black, black and more black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by grumpyoldretiredcop View Post
    If it helps after two months, I have a possible encouraging answer. There is a line out available on my 2017 F3T, it requires the same cable that feeds audio to the the Bluetooth audio transmitter (same as the one offered by Motorcycle Dave on this forum). Dave was kind enough to sell me a cable instead of the cable/Sena transmitter set (thanks Dave!!) after I conferred with Finless Bob and confirmed that the cable would work. Unlike the RT, the radio main unit on the F3T is located at the tail but has the same two sockets as the RT radio main unit; one for the comm system main cable and the other for options (the entertainment cable or BT cable). Plugging the BT cable into the radio is easy, unlike the RT videos I've seen as the socket is clear of obstructions. The line out volume is not controlled by the bike's volume control; I'm guessing it's taken out upstream of the amplifier.

Now I'm going out to plug in my MotoChello audio center and see if the line input volume is sufficient. If it is, I'll have headsets without having had to pay the outrageous price for the Can-Am CB and headsets.

Edit: CONFIRMED! I have audio out to my MotoChello. It is NOT controlled by the Spyder's volume control, but since the MotoChello has its own volume, and auto-volume, controls that's a small detail. You will probably want to go into the radio options and turn off the speakers. Ive mounted the MotoChello in the space allotted for the CB main unit since I plan to mount either an aftermarket top box or the factory one (if I can stomach the price) without any speakers in it as we both use headsets exclusively.
    Interesting news but I do need it all to work with the OEM volume etc. I don't wear headfones nor need a 2 way ( have a HAM setup for two way). I cannot wear a "regular" helmet due to an old football injury to my neck. I need the speakers to be used. I believe I can insert a 4 channel amp inline with the "midrange" speakers and also the "woofer" speakers and replace the junk speakers that come with the F3T.

>CLICK ME<
    Last edited by Rattlebars; 11-19-2018 at 02:20 PM.
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Rattlebars, sorry to hear that! My info was aimed more towards the OP, you certainly do have a quite different problem. I'm not the best help on that... despite being a former Navy Reactor Operator, me and electrons don't always get along.

Seems to me like you're on the right track if you're looking to do better than the F3 speakers. I'm betting that all volume control in the stock system is done at the amp; what I don't know is if trying to run that signal through another amp will cause problems. I've never tried anything like it. Hope you find the answer!

Spyder Garage

Rattlebars, sorry to hear that! My info was aimed more towards the OP, you certainly do have a quite different problem. I'm not the best help on that... despite being a former Navy Reactor Operator, me and electrons don't always get along.

Seems to me like you're on the right track if you're looking to do better than the F3 speakers. I'm betting that all volume control in the stock system is done at the amp; what I don't know is if trying to run that signal through another amp will cause problems. I've never tried anything like it. Hope you find the answer!
    The amp I listed has both high and lo level inputs. That amp will fit easily into the "CD" pocket under the tail of the F3-T. I ran off the speaker wires for many years an old Fosgate amp under the trunk of my GL1800 >CLICK ME< without problems. The only trouble with the F3 stereo is that it has a two way junk speaker system and neither of the outputs is full range.

As for the OP. The F3 has a GPS input and if you are listening to the Zumo exclusively for songs, there is a full range "audio in" for the Zumo under the left body panel. It's hidden. That would be a great way to interface the Zumo with your system. Just set your input from the radio to NAV.

>CLICK ME<

Spyder Garage

Hey Dude former Navy Nuke Electrician (1970 - 78).
    Can you post a pic showing the connection point and the correct cable?
    Thanks, Rick

Spyder Garage

Rick, here's a view from the rear of the F3T looking forward. The radio main unit is on the left. The connection that the BT cable plugs into is the one on the right rear of the main unit, indicated by the red arrow. On yours, if you haven't used the connection for anything else, there will be a rubber cover on it. The cable is either the factory cable that comes with the Sena Bluetooth kit (same kit as for the RT), or better yet call Motorcycle Dave and ask to order just the Bluetooth cable.

I thought about removing the USB portion of the BT cable to save space and confusion, but decided to keep it attached so that if/when I mount a trunk I can lead it into the trunk and use it to charge a phone if needed. The USB portion of the cable only carries power, no signal.

Radio Main Unit small.jpg
    Last edited by grumpyoldretiredcop; 11-22-2018 at 05:12 AM.

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear it worked out! See I never lie and I told you the cable would work.

BE CAREFUL using the USB to charge a phone! It's not made for a large output. The power comes from regulators in the radio and you don't want to pop those. Spec say 1.5 amp output just enough to charge the Sena SM-10 but not a phone.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Roger that Bob, and thank you! My Galaxy takes a 2 amp charger so it probably would not be a good idea to use the radio's cable for that. Might just remove it in that case.