Thread: Slang from Oz

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Slang from Oz

My wife is going to Australia next month and I told her I could get her speaking like a local if she could just learn some of the slang or expressions commonly used. So how about some help from our friends to the south? Thanks in advance! All help is greatly appreciated!

By the way, did I say how jealous I am!!??
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

Howz it goin meaning How is it going

Your not wrong meaning your correct.

beaudy mate means greeat

Whatch ya doin meaning What are you doing

Spyder Garage

“Friends to the south”, Boiler? Mexicans don’t speak Strine (Australian).

Here’s a comprehensive list......most useful are Gudday (Hello) and Seeya (Goodbye)

https://www.firstlighttravel.com/blo...stralian-slang

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Which part of Australia is she visiting, Boiler?? There are quite a few 'local variations' in the commonly used slang & some of the words/names for things that are commonly used in different States/regions too.... and since this sorta stuff can be a little confusing for Dinky-di Aussies, you Yanks don't really stand a chance!! And yeah, if you come from the US of A, then you are ALL 'Yanks', or maybe 'Septics' (Yanks - Septic Tanks - Septics.... eeeeeaaasy! ) But I wouldn't really worry too much, 'She'll be 'right' (ie She'll be all right, or she'll be OK. ) we don't really give too many people a hard time, most Aussies are fairly easy going & friendly people. Altho we do tend to make fun of things that others might be a bit sensitive about.... and sometimes it's a bit difficult to work out if 'we' are making fun of something/someone because we like them/it, or if it's because we can see that it's touching a bit of a raw nerve & we are enjoying the baiting & response!

Still, it'd help a lot to have an idea of which part of the country she is planning on visiting - it's a biiiiig place down this way, and while we do have some reasonably sized cities, there aren't kangaroo's hopping down the main streets (well, not usually, anyway! ) and there's a whole lot of wiiiiide open spaces between the major population areas, even along our most heavily populated East Coast. Those wide open spaces, the different backgrounds of the 'European colonists' who settled the different States, & the tyranny of distance in years gone by has meant that there has been some 'language drift' & different slang terms &/or meanings have developed over the years.... You gotta remember that our whole country is almost as big in land area as the USA but we only have about 25 million people living in it, so our States are few but big, and in places, there's a WHOLE LOT of distance between towns & sometimes even homesteads/farm-houses/stations! When I was growing up, we lived on a property that was a few thousand square miles in size & our nearest 'next door neighbour' was a few solid days driving away, while getting to the nearest city took a weeks' driving or a couple of days in a light aircraft - and it was just a small station not too far into the whoop woop! Heck, we didn't even hafta pass the Black Stump to get there!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-07-2018 at 01:36 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post

Here’s a comprehensive list......most useful are Gudday (Hello) and Seeya (Goodbye)

Pete

Why is my all time favorite missing from the list? I don't see wanker; we have quite a few of those on SL's. Is that term mainly a Brit term?

I try to keep abreast of the slang terms by watching the BBC.

Spyder Garage

Wanker, Tosser, Saturdee Night Jerk-off Kid, F***wit, those are all amongst the terms that have a fairly definite 'locality' (& generational!) base in Oz!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-07-2018 at 06:37 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sorry, guys! I should have said to the far, far south. I was tired after work last night and forgot to mention where in Australia she was going. She will be visiting the Port Douglas and Cairns areas of Queensland. Planning a trip to see the Great Barrier Reef too. Sounds like a great time.

I'm hoping that I'll get a chance to visit sometime after I completely retire. Gives me something to dream about! Thanks for the replies, Bob.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Please ask her to take lots of pictures for us!

Spyder Garage

Pete
    A GREAT post.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have a tenent in SoCal who is Austrailian. He continuosly replies 'No Worries' about almost anything. That phrase was also used a lot in 'Crocodile Dundee.'

Regards,
    Joe T.
    Joe T.
    I miss SoCal - - - -

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerAnimal View Post
    Sorry, guys! I should have said to the far, far south. I was tired after work last night and forgot to mention where in Australia she was going. She will be visiting the Port Douglas and Cairns areas of Queensland. Planning a trip to see the Great Barrier Reef too. Sounds like a great time.

I'm hoping that I'll get a chance to visit sometime after I completely retire. Gives me something to dream about! Thanks for the replies, Bob.
    Boiler, If she goes to the far, far south, she’ll be about as far from Cairns and the Barrier Reef as she can be😳😆😆. They are both in the far, far north. Tassie ((Tasmania), is in the far, far south 😜. Tassie will have day temperatures of around 60f, Cairns will be around 90f....

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    That is about the most perfect terminology guide I have seen, Bob. Itza Bewdy

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

p.s. tell her to expect crowds. The far north (Cairns, Port Douglas, the Daintree etc, is quite beautiful, but it is also the area most Chinese and Japanese tourists visit.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That is about the most perfect terminology guide I have seen, Bob. Itza Bewdy

Pete
    Cheers Mate!

Spyder Garage

Hi Pete,

Re: The far north . . . is quite beautiful

My best friend ( RIP Dan ) emigrated down under in 1971. I've been down twice to visit him.

IMO the most beautiful town I've been in is Brisbane. And, I've been in Sydney, Darwin, Canberra and of course, Wagga Wagga.

Until recently, Melbourne was the most liveable city in the world. It was recently displaced by Vienna; that I have also visited.

Aussies are some of the most friendly people I have ever met. Good on, ya.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) I have also climbed Ayers Rock or Urulu.
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joe T. View Post
    I have a tenent in SoCal who is Austrailian. He continuosly replies 'No Worries' about almost anything. That phrase was also used a lot in 'Crocodile Dundee.'

Regards,
    Joe T.
    That's another of those terms that sees some 'regional variation' - there are places where people say 'No Wuckers' instead.... as in 'No Wuckin Forries', but they do tend to get their wuckin murds fuddled!

Btw, 'Crocodile Dundee' was a bit of a 'camp spoof' for & about Aus & Aussies (you might want to read the first sentence of the Wikipedia definition of that term. ) altho there are some people & places that it might truly represent on a particularly bad weekend!! It was particularly appealing to many here cos of the way it was viewed as 'gospel' by the rest of the world, but to truly understand the humour of it all, you'd hafta have seen and appreciated/understood the 'early Paul Hogan' from his first appearance on the Aussie 'New Faces' show, thru his appearances with Mike Willesee, & on into 'The Paul Hogan Show'. By the time he got around to making Crocodile Dundee, it was surprising to many here that he could even talk, his tongue was so firmly planted in his cheek!! Still, much of what we see here as being entertaining & funny because of the OTT parody of reality that it's displaying is often seen as 'wonderful stuff' by the rest of the world for an entirely different set of reasons ie, Steve Irwin....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-07-2018 at 06:58 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi Pete,

IMO the most beautiful town I've been in is Brisbane.

PS) I have also climbed Ayers Rock or Urulu.
    Most Aussies refer to Brisbane as Bris-Vegas, Jerry.... it is one of my favourites, too

Well done on climbing Ayres Rock. Climbing it is now forbidden as a mark of respect to the indigenous tribes from the area as it is a sacred site.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    That's another of those terms that sees some 'regional variation' - there are places where people say 'No Wuckers' instead.... as in 'No Wuckin Forries', but they do tend to get their wuckin murds fuddled!

Btw, 'Crocodile Dundee' was a bit of a 'camp spoof' for & about Aus & Aussies (you might want to read the first sentence of the Wikipedia definition of that term. ) altho there are some people & places that it might truly represent on a particularly bad weekend!! It was particularly appealing to many here cos of the way it was viewed as 'gospel' by the rest of the world, but to truly understand the humour of it all, you'd hafta have seen and appreciated/understood the 'early Paul Hogan' from his first appearance on the Aussie 'New Faces' show, thru his appearances with Mike Willesee, & on into 'The Paul Hogan Show'. By the time he got around to making Crocodile Dundee, it was surprising to many here that he could even talk, his tongue was so firmly planted in his cheek!! Still, much of what we see here as being entertaining & funny because of the OTT parody of reality that it's displaying is often seen as 'wonderful stuff' by the rest of the world for an entirely different set of reasons ie, Steve Irwin....

Yeah, but ya' have to admit, Ol' Crocodile had a nice knife!!!

Joe T.
    Joe T.
    I miss SoCal - - - -

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

I'm a Yank that lived in Brissie for two years. There are a few words that you should never say in polite society.

Stuffed - As in the hostess asks "Would you like more food?" and the response is "No thank you, I'm stuffed." Wrong! Eyebrows will be raised and polite coughing around the table. The proper response is "No thank you, I'm full."

Root - As in "Root for the home team!" We were at a Footy game and were discussing who to root for. People turned around in their seats and gave us a dirty looks.

Both of the above in the Aussie vocabulary describes intimate actions between consenting adults.

Napkin - What you put on your lap while eating is a serviette. Napkin has a whole different meaning.

For the Aussies out there... We were blessed with living on Warburton Court. I never could figure out how to say it dropping the r's.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Hi Yazz,

Re: There are a few words that you should never say in polite society.

That reminds of what happened in Brazil many years. We were in a high-voltage test lab & were having some problems getting the product to pass the tests. In the early afternoon, we were able to sucessfully pass/complete the tests. So I gave the test engineers the 'OK sign' ( where your index finger touches your thumb & the other three fingers are straight up ). Down there that means 'up yours.'

Those guys sure did give me a number of strange looks.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spot on Yazz
    Fanny is another one you don't say here ...

Oh and in Brissy/Qld, at risk of upsetting Queenslanders... End every sentence with "eh" or "but" and you'll fit right in lol