Thread: Trailering

Spyder Garage

Default Trailering

Well, one thing always leads to another. We camped with a travel trailer and took the Wing in the back of the truck. Bought a Spyder so putting it in the truck won't work. So we just got home after buying a motor home. Now, we need a trailer to take the bike. I want an OPEN trailer. So....my question is: How do I protect the bike from rain with all its electronics?
    Thanks!
    "If I was any better, I'd be dead!"
    "The sun's always shining...otherwise it would be dark!"
    "God looks out for the stupid, so I keep Him pretty busy!"

Spyder Garage

The Spyder rides great in the rain, so trailering it in the rain will not be a problem.
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

Default Trailer

I appreciate the open trailer idea, this was my first choice for pulling my F3 behind my new Sprinter based Leisure Travel Van U24CB. However, I can purchase a 7' x 14' Tandem axle covered trailer with all the extras from Kaufman Trailer in Denton, North Carolina, for about $5000. Open trailers can be had for much less, but, the exact issue you present remains. Especially if one travels with overnights in rest areas or truck stops, security come up, and covers will not protect much in the way of electronics.

For that reason, I am going with a covered trailer, which also provides a lot of room for riding gear, etc. And, in the interest of safety, a tandem axle trailer. If one blows a tire at speed on a single axle trailer you have destroyed the trailer, contents and most likely the tow vehicle. Lots of documentation on this issue.

As to how to protect the electronics.. and bike.... use a heavy tarp as in ones designed for truck cargo. Tie it down security so it does not flap in the wind.
    Msmoto
    2016 F3 Limited SS, Garmin 595LM, Sena 10S, Belt Idler Pulley, Custom Cherry Bomb Exhaust
    Previous Spyder No. 003008

Spyder Garage

Open is fine spyder can ride in rain & snow please do NOT cover with a tarp or cover & tow the wind flutter will scuff the paint only other known issue would be varments when parked not much can do there but look out

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Trust me on this, your Spyder will not have electrinic issues because you a) trailer it in an open trailer, b) ride it in the rain or c) wash it with soap and water.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default hey buddy !

we use the open trailer , hauled once or twice , no problems ... just be sure to buy at the minimum 5 foot 6 inch wide trailer ( spyder was a wide front ---- ) and no shorter than 10 foot , did I mention she is a whopper ! ( we found one at tractor supply , which matched competitor price for just over 900.oo )

Spyder Garage

I bought a Triton GU10 for my F3 Limited. 5'6" x 10' so there's not a lot of left over room. Not worried about the open trailer idea at all. Worried about a higher quality trailer for the long 650 mile run to the Outer Banks.front.jpgside.jpg
    2016 F3 Limited with Topcase, RT-622 trailer, Lamonster LED Headlights, Lamonster LED Fog lights, Lamonster LED Ring Lights, 25" F4 windshield, BRP Belt Tensioner, 2018 Triton GU10 trailer to haul it

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shroth View Post
    I bought a Triton GU10 for my F3 Limited. 5'6" x 10' so there's not a lot of left over room. Not worried about the open trailer idea at all. Worried about a higher quality trailer for the long 650 mile run to the Outer Banks.front.jpgside.jpg
    Not looking to derail this thread, but I am interested in how you have your Spyder secured to the trailer. Most go through or over the wheels. You look like you go through the frame somehow. For the rest of us who trailer with an open trailer, can you share some details on your method? This might also be helpful to the OP as they decide which type of trailer to purchase.

Spyder Garage

Bike will handle the rain just fine, it was built for that. We tow ours behind a camper as well, have taken it from VA to OH and VA to PA this past summer, no issues. Did have to add some tie downs to the trailer so it would accommodate the bike better and I had some specialized wheel chocks made by a local metal shop. Use some good quality tie downs and it should be fine.

IMG_20180422_150308330_HDR.jpgIMG_20180610_151610272_HDR.jpgIMG_20180610_151702853_HDR.jpg
    2019 BMW C650GT, 2010 Spyder RT-S, 2009 BMW R1200RT,(sold) 2009 Honda Silverwing (Sold), 2009 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (Sold)

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We carried ours in the back of the Toy-hauler...
    But it wasn't for weather considerations: it was to keep the "curious" (and possibly criminal!); from getting a crack at it...
    If you are travelling: you'll be in unfamiliar places. That leaves you open to threats that you never even knew were lurking.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Boilermaker View Post
    Not looking to derail this thread, but I am interested in how you have your Spyder secured to the trailer. Most go through or over the wheels. You look like you go through the frame somehow. For the rest of us who trailer with an open trailer, can you share some details on your method? This might also be helpful to the OP as they decide which type of trailer to purchase.
    I would be a little dicey with how this bike is secured to that trailer, it may be just for the photos taken at the time. You need more than one strap holding it in the front for sure.

I added (4) 4K stainless tie downs to the perimeter of the trailer, two in front and two on the sides for a total of 8 tie down points as well as the 4 welded ones that were on the trailer. I also added two physical stops on the front to put the front wheels where I wanted them for balance and to keep it from moving forward.

When we tow it, there are two straps going from the A arms to the front chocks, one strap going over the bike (seat lifted up) so it rests on the metal frame to hold it down and one going side to side through the rear wheel to hold that down as well. With about 2K miles traveling, it has worked well for us, once the bike is cinched down, it doesn't move. BTW, neither of these pictures shows the strap in the middle going under the seat. I use a bungee or another strap somewhat loose over the seat to keep it from popping up with the wind.

IMG_20180610_151702853_HDR.jpgIMG_20180610_151719487_HDR.jpgIMG_20180422_151021441_HDR.jpg
    Last edited by Eviltwin; 09-07-2018 at 06:44 AM.
    2019 BMW C650GT, 2010 Spyder RT-S, 2009 BMW R1200RT,(sold) 2009 Honda Silverwing (Sold), 2009 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (Sold)

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shroth View Post
    I think you need to add some tie downs and use more straps with this setup. Amazon has some really good prices on them, I think I paid around 24 bucks for four, not including some stainless hardware to attach them. Bolt them through the perimeter frame, somewhere in front of each A arm so the strap tends fore and aft, and doesn't go too far sideways. I would also make some sort of stop for the front wheels, could be from wood since it has a wood deck, and bolt it all the way through and use some heavy fasteners with large washers or a backing plate to spread the load. That trailer uses a 1/2 plywood deck.

Can't tell what size wheels, hopefully you got the larger 12", they tend to ride better, esp on the highway. With some minor improvements, you should be fine with this rig.

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by youngers View Post
    we use the open trailer , hauled once or twice , no problems ... just be sure to buy at the minimum 5 foot 6 inch wide trailer ( spyder was a wide front ---- ) and no shorter than 10 foot , did I mention she is a whopper ! ( we found one at tractor supply , which matched competitor price for just over 900.oo )
    I got the Tractor Supply trailer also and have logged thousands of miles without any issues!
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Boilermaker View Post
    I have an aluminum trailer from Tractor Supply with wood floor. bolted two chocks (from WalMart for less than $10) for the front wheels and also bolted four I-bolts - one in each corner of trailer bed - and strap wheels to I-bolts and away we go. I have logged thousands of miles and no issues.
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Default THANKS

A big thanks to all for your input! Given what was shared, I am now open to an enclosed trailer. I guess it will come down to what I can afford.
    "If I was any better, I'd be dead!"
    "The sun's always shining...otherwise it would be dark!"
    "God looks out for the stupid, so I keep Him pretty busy!"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Toyhauler

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    We carried ours in the back of the Toy-hauler...
    Hoping to not hijack the thread. but do you need to tie down as thoroughly in a toy-hauler?
    Common sense says yeah, but I thought I'd ask.
    ~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Spyder Garage

Default Yes

Regardless of wether it’s in an enclosed trailer, on an open trailer or in a toy hauler something has to keep that 1,200 lb missle from launching in the event of a sudden stop. So definitely tie down, with quality weight appropriate straps or the like.

Quote Originally Posted by sandeejs View Post
    Hoping to not hijack the thread. but do you need to tie down as thoroughly in a toy-hauler?
    Common sense says yeah, but I thought I'd ask.
    ~Sandee~
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In fact it was such a tight fit: the tie-downs were of the UTMOST importance!

IMG_0844.jpgIMG_0845.jpgIMG_0840.jpgIMG_0842.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black