Spyder Garage

Default New Spyder Owner - RS 2010

RS purchased from BRP employee with less than 5k on it. It is like brand new. Looking for information on a number of things. Let me know what your best mod has been... where to start first. Also, information on wiring the RS for pulling a trailer. I'm moving from a Harley Ultra Classic which had lots of storage... and need to solve that issue for my wife and I on the RS. I have the oem passenger backrest. What have you done for luggage room that hasn't cost a mint? Thanks everyone. So glad to have found this community.

Dave - Beaver Dam, WI
    Last edited by WisconsinDavid; 09-06-2018 at 06:25 PM.

Spyder Garage

and on your new RS.

Answers to your questions will come.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Soft sided Tbag and Saddlbags

Which soft-side saddlebags have you found to work best on the RS with a passenger? Also, the backrest is so different than a regular motorcycle, which tbags work with it and strap down securely. I don't want the expense of hard bags... so looking for bags that can be taken off when not needed (and dragged into a hotel when on a trip). Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Default Another Badger?

Welcome David, we're just up the road from you in Neenah. Good luck with all things Spyder! This is my second summer with the RT and we spend most of our time on the back roads exploring and not so much on the interstate. Be safe, enjoy, and Go Packers!

LORD GRANT ME THE SENILITY TO FORGET THE PEOPLE I NEVER LIKED,
    THE GOOD FORTUNE TO RUN INTO THE ONES I DO LIKE,
    AND THE EYE SIGHT TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE.

2016 Spyder RTS

Spyder Garage

Default Hi

Small world. My son and his wife lived in Neenah. He was a lawyer for an Appleton firm. He recently relocated to Des Moines. I am learning 3 wheels, after being on two for most of my life. It is an adjustment, but a fun one. Dipped my toe into the Spyder world with an RS, but eventually an RT will find me. From reading posts, lots of nice folks on this site. Looking forward to learning more as I go, so I can possibly help someone with sound advice down the road. Go Pack Go! Badgers already did well today

Dave

Spyder Garage

Default ????

what`s a pack ?

Spyder Garage

here I what one might look like , pulled it off the intro/ net

Spyder Garage

this one has a top case , with side bags ( all are the tough hard bags )

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinDavid View Post
    RS purchased from BRP employee with less than 5k on it. It is like brand new. Looking for information on a number of things. Let me know what your best mod has been... where to start first. Also, information on wiring the RS for pulling a trailer. I'm moving from a Harley Ultra Classic which had lots of storage... and need to solve that issue for my wife and I on the RS. I have the oem passenger backrest. What have you done for luggage room that hasn't cost a mint? Thanks everyone. So glad to have found this community.

Dave - Beaver Dam, WI
    mirrow extensions so you are not looking at your arms ,and RKA soft bags made in Usa will make in colors lifetime warranty great people small company made in California
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks :)

Thanks for the information. Things to ponder as I set mine up for being able to roadtrip. I'm spoiled from all the storage my harley had with the big sidebags, the large topbox and the compartments in my front fairing. I'm hoping the Spyder will be okay for a long ride. Every June I head out with buddies for a week. A year ago we circled Lake Superior... beautiful ride around the northside. This year we went out into Montana and then back through the Black Hills and Iowa. Most of our days average a bit over 500 miles in the saddle. One thing I know is that I will be making the group stop more frequently. I've been told the RS' range is only about 175 miles between fill-ups. Also, haven't ridden in rain yet, but with the placement of the back wheel after a light rain... have you found it to be really squirrely? Always tracked away from center, until after a hard rain, when on 2 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Default trailer ?

check out the trailer threads , they might work for you as well

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hello Dave
    I am also Dave
    I have many ideas for you here are 2 photos of mine I have modified after going to 3 wheels
    from 2 Harley & GoldWing my phone number is 209-887-3283 give me a call if you like, I can save you
    money of Accs. as you can see I have floorboards, and have moved the brake forward to give more foot room.
    Welcom to the Spyder bunch here .
    Ride Safe
    Dave
    Email
    motorcycledave@mac.com

IMG_7312.jpgIMG_3753.jpg

Dave - Beaver Dam, WI

Spyder Garage

Default Trailer and....

I have seen information on trailers, but mostly for the RT. Is there any advice on wiring the RS for a trailer? I don't think there is a plug-in connection, so where are people tapping in without damaging things and also, where are they hiding a wired harness at? I've looked at a nice small trailer (tag-along) from Northern Freight. Trying to keep from re-buying an re-tooling stuff. Measure twice and cut once is better than the other option. The RS I have has the small sport windshield, so far I've gathered that many like the Madstad product on their RS for touring. Anyone else have a different recommendation? And again... thanks everyone for advice as I start my new chapter of 3-wheel adventures!

* Anyone tie a bag to their passenger backrest with success - with a passenger in place? If so, any recommendations for a bag that works well?

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome!

He is what I went with, although I do not ride with a passenger.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...7-Givi-top-box
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Welcome Dave,
    You have a great ride, enjoy and love it. I had a 2009 and it was great. You might check out Seal Floorboards.com. I have RS Floorboards and the really let you stretch out and move your hips and knees around on those long rides.
    Rde in comfort,
    Jonn

Spyder Garage

Nelson Rigg makes excellent soft saddle bags and passenger seat bags for the RS. I've used both for a 6 day trip, and had plenty of extra room. They are easy to take on and off also.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

ogio saddlebags. good size and expandable and built in rain cover.
    one of the strap that goes under the seat is little short. I added a piece of velcro strip.
    easy on and off but people can not just walk away it due to straps under the seat.

I travel with MacBook Pro and big iPad and didn't wanted to leave them behind when I go into store or something so I bought a ogio backpack too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ogio-Expand...0AAOSw9vlaixxp
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/OGIO-123006...8AAOSwWo5bk3r1
    Last edited by aka1004; 09-11-2018 at 08:09 PM.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. It is nice to have some recommendations of what works without spending extra money trying to invent the wheel, so to speak. A couple more questions...

* I see that Kuryachyn sells mini front floorboards for the spyder rs. Does anyone have these and if you do, your experience with them? I had them on a Harley Sportster and they were so much better than stock harley pegs.

* For those with the Nelson Rigg and Ogio bags, do they allow a rider to sit and if so, model number of what you use?

Thanks....
    Enjoying 3 wheels after a lifetime on 2

Dave

Spyder Garage

Dave...

I recently purchased an 09 RS SM5 also in a like new condition. I haven't ridden it very much but plan to when the SC weather decides to cool down some.

A simple set of saddle bags might be in my future. Welcome to the Forum and as a new member myself hope you will enjoy the information that is always here...MD
    "Never choose Luck when Knowledge is your best option"

2009 RS SM5 Spyder
    Red & Black
    2007 GMC Sierra 2500HD - Tow Vehicle

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

New ogio saddlebag.
    It’s smaller than I remembered but I think it stretched quite a bit as it’s used.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyder Garage

* For those with the Nelson Rigg and Ogio bags, do they allow a rider to sit and if so, model number of what you use?

Dave
    Here is a pic of mine with the Nelson Rigg CL-855 saddle bags, and CL-1040 tail bag, along with the Givi topcase.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on your spyder and to the spyder web. Dale

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. It is nice to have some recommendations of what works without spending extra money trying to invent the wheel, so to speak. A couple more questions...

* I see that Kuryachyn sells mini front floorboards for the spyder rs. Does anyone have these and if you do, your experience with them? I had them on a Harley Sportster and they were so much better than stock harley pegs.

Thanks....
    Enjoying 3 wheels after a lifetime on 2

Dave
    https://www.kuryakyn.com/products/42...um-mini-boards

I've got these on my 2012 rs-s, I really like them