Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default how long will the drive belt last?

I have a 2012 RT SM love it and only have about 17,000 miles on it. My question is how long will the average drive belt last?? I live in Texas and ride year around..Thanks

Spyder Garage

They should last 50K to 75K--unless you get rocks caught up in them. I have replaced two--but both were premature and caused by rocks. 30K on both current bikes and no issues. Replacement is $300 or so--plus labor.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

D is right. If you don't kill them with abuse: they're good for at least that long.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default And even longer....

With proper maintenance maybe longer than you will have the spyder. I have 40,000 + and plan to keep my 2012 RS sm5 for ever so I keep the tension adjusted and the tracking straight and avoid hazardous material as much as possible...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys, Feel better. Leaving for Ruidoso Rally in a week.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I gad one break on my 10 RT at around 25,000 miles but I sold my 14 RT with 123,000 miles and it still had the original belt.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

A belt should honestly last the life of the bike. Notwithstanding abuse, damage, or improper storage.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Ours lasted 42000+ on our 2011RT. The rear wheel got out of line and pretty much chewed it up. I probably need to put a belt guard on it to keep stuff out.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Thanks guys, Feel better. Leaving for Ruidoso Rally in a week.
    Have a Safe & Fun trip!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I don't know yet. 81,000+ miles on our 14 RT with original belt.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Default 123,000?

I'd never heard of any RT that had a belt last longer than mine. My original
    croaked at 108,000. I just replaced my new one, it lasted 51,000 but it's
    premature demise was caused by a worn rear sprocket.
    MY RT-S is a 2014 SE6. Ann's was a 2014 RT-S also but was a manual shift.
    I would think the manual would be harder on a belt than semi-auto.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I gad one break on my 10 RT at around 25,000 miles but I sold my 14 RT with 123,000 miles and it still had the original belt.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

A lot depends on how you ride, however I have had Harley belts last over 50K
    I have 20+ on my Spyder and it is just fine looks good and no problems.
    If it is properly adjusted the drive gears and the belt will last for many many miles.
    Dave

I have a 2012 RT SM love it and only have about 17,000 miles on it. My question is how long will the average drive belt last?? I live in Texas and ride year around..Thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    A lot depends on how you ride, however I have had Harley belts last over 50K
    I have 20+ on my Spyder and it is just fine looks good and no problems.
    If it is properly adjusted the drive gears and the belt will last for many many miles.
    Dave
    The cam belts on my Audi & VW have mileage and time change intervals. Off the top of my head they are 100k or 7 years - whichever comes first. But then if one of them goes, you loose an engine.

Regards,

Don
    2017 F3T , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dondje View Post
    The cam belts on my Audi & VW have mileage and time change intervals. Off the top of my head they are 100k or 7 years - whichever comes first. But then if one of them goes, you loose an engine.

Regards,

Don
    My A4 (2000) calls for timing belt replacement at 80,000 miles, but I change them myself at the 70,000 mile mark. I don't want to have to do an engine so I error on the side of caution.
    I have done two so far.
    I ran into a lady at a gas station with the hood of her Audi up. I ask if she needed help. She told me that the had just gotten it back from having the motor repaired due to the timing belt snapping. She told me it cost her over $8,000 to have it fixed. I think they did a bad job as it looked like the head gasket was blown. I told her to bring it back and have them redo the whole engine since it loss all it's coolent and who knows how much damage that caused.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Hi Bob this is an old thread but my belt just failed at 86000 kms and I've ordered a new one I will fit it myself

Regards Peter
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-28-2022 at 04:49 AM. Reason: 1is a post; more than 1 is a thread . ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    A belt should honestly last the life of the bike. Notwithstanding abuse, damage, or improper storage.
    I agree. It is important to check the belt for wear, stress cracks, etc. But a garaged, tension correctly maintained belt, baring external injury, will last the life of the Spyder. That belt is designed for stresses far beyond what your Spyder can ever dish out.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm thinking 250,000 mi. is possible. JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I'm thinking 250,000 mi. is possible. JMHO .... Mike
    I am not so sure that has not already been achieved. Though I have no documentation. I have been told that the service tension on our belts is 600 psi! This is one of the reasons that the original belt tension was set so crazy high (more than 1/2 that number). Again, just what I've been told by people who should know. When the bearings started to blow up from that kind of tension, BRP made a number of downward adjustments to tension recommendations. Owners have made even further tension reductions with no adverse affects. These belts are way over spec'ed. And I am glad they are.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Hi All,
    Newbie here. Have a 2022 RTL sitting at the dealer waiting for final parts to arrive!? Am I asking for trouble? I live on a gravel road with a mile of travel on it anytime I will want to go anywhere! From what I've been reading a belt guard would be an important add-on. Where can I find such an item? Your help will be greatly appreciated!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I am not so sure that has not already been achieved. Though I have no documentation. I have been told that the service tension on our belts is 600 psi! This is one of the reasons that the original belt tension was set so crazy high (more than 1/2 that number). Again, just what I've been told by people who should know. When the bearings started to blow up from that kind of tension, BRP made a number of downward adjustments to tension recommendations. Owners have made even further tension reductions with no adverse affects. These belts are way over spec'ed. And I am glad they are.
    ..... I had an 08 and an 11 RSS. I remember when the bearing issues arose and lowered the tension on both. When I bought a new 14 RT, the first thing I did was to lower the tension. Back then lowering the tension was controversial, but I figured it was better to have it a bit lower. I'm glad I did..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GORP View Post
    Hi All,
    Newbie here. Have a 2022 RTL sitting at the dealer waiting for final parts to arrive!? Am I asking for trouble? I live on a gravel road with a mile of travel on it anytime I will want to go anywhere! From what I've been reading a belt guard would be an important add-on. Where can I find such an item? Your help will be greatly appreciated!
    Spyderpops, a sponsor.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm going to have to replace mine at 30k miles, but only because I don't want to take a chance on a cross-country trip with the one I've got that has a small rock penetration in it. Otherwise, I'd expect to get 100k I think.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GORP View Post
    Hi All,
    This is the one I got. Great product. https://spyderpops.com/the-missing-b...odels-2014-up/
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by peterRT View Post
    Hi Bob this is an old thread but my belt just failed at 86000 kms and I've ordered a new one I will fit it myself Regards Peter
    Your drive belt? Strange.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ordered the plastic guard and couldn't get it to fit without it rubbing either the tire or the belt. Tried the supplier's recommendations for adjustment but nothing worked. Heat bend and cool didn't work either. Bought the aluminum guard and the installation was easy and simple. Granted there's not a lot of room down there but the aluminum guard did the job for me.