Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Just Traded Up to a 2018 RT Ltd

Hi everyone,

My wife and I just traded in our 2012 RT Ltd on a new 2018 RT Ltd. We thoroughly enjoyed our 2012 model, but the many changes and improvements in the new models gave us the itch to up-trade.

At this point we've put about 250 miles on the new RT and the experience has been very satisfying ... and a lot of fun. The 1330 engine and SE6's six gears are, to me, a big improvement over the 998 engine and five speeds in our 2012 model. The 1330 engine is very smooth, quiet, and powerful, and the six-speed transmission with closer gear ratios between shifts is a big improvement as well. Also, I like the way the 1330 engine develops strong power at lower RPMs, allowing much earlier up-shifts than were possible with our 2012 RT.

Also, the steering effort on the new RT is a big improvement over our 2012 model. I am having to re-train my "muscle memory" to avoid over-steering the new RT because the steering effort is so much improved.

So far the "nanny" is telling me we are averaging 47 mpg, which surprised me. I will continue to measure the fuel economy over a longer time frame and mileage, but the 1330 engine is definitely a gas miser compared to our previous 998.

So far my only quibbles are that when using BRP Connect with the Genius Map app, the operator loses the tachometer function on the electronic display. I find myself frequently squeezing the BRP Connect lever on the left hand grip to temporarily hide the GPS screen so the RPM indicator reappears, then squeezing the BRP Connect lever again when I want to bring the GPS screen back.

My only other quibble is that the transmission seems to "slam" into reverse quite loudly. Our 2012 RT did somewhat the same thing, but the "clank" of the new SE6 transmission when shifting into reverse seems louder than I remember on the previous RT. Do other SE6 owners experience the same thing?

All in all, we are thoroughly enjoying our new RT! We're looking forward to many fun miles ahead.
    Last edited by Blake33; 09-13-2018 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Fixed typo
    2018 RT Ltd , Oxford Blue/Chrome

Spyder Garage

Default congratulations....🎉🎉🎉

Nice upgrade... glad you are enjoying all the changes...Whole new smile...!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

, and
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Reverse slam

I have found if you will go into reverse from 1st gear it eliminates the slam into reverse

Spyder Garage

on your new 1330.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Congratulations

Congrats Winni.

What color did u get? I went w ‘18 RTL and love it. BRP Connect does take some getting used to but I’ve grown to love it. And I’ve learned a lot about it over past few months. Some great videos on YouTube, and if u have any additional questions feel free to pm me. I’m not an expert but I’ve learded how to handle some error messages and stuff. I’m hoping Brp adds some videos for everyone, it’s a great feature I hope they stick w it.
    Best of luck!
    Jarred.

2018 RT Limited Metalic Champagne
    US Spyder Ryders Long Island NY Chapter
    2018 RT Limited , Metallic Champagne

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred View Post
    Congrats Winni.

What color did u get? I went w ‘18 RTL and love it. BRP Connect does take some getting used to but I’ve grown to love it. And I’ve learned a lot about it over past few months. Some great videos on YouTube, and if u have any additional questions feel free to pm me. I’m not an expert but I’ve learded how to handle some error messages and stuff. I’m hoping Brp adds some videos for everyone, it’s a great feature I hope they stick w it.
    Best of luck!
    Jarred.
    Thanks for the info. and good wishes, Jarred. My RT Ltd is Oxford Blue Metallic with Chrome. I seem to have taught myself something today about using BRP Connect. Through trial & error, I found out that (at least it seems to me) if I connect my phone to the USB port before turning the key on, BRP Connect establishes its link pretty reliably when I pull the lever. If I turn the key on and then plug my phone into the USB port, BRP Connect doesn't seem to want to "connect". But plugging the phone in first seems to work pretty reliably, at least so far.

I'm now working on getting the Accuweather app to work. I downloaded and installed it on my phone, but the BRP Connect app doesn't recognize it. Probably something I've done wrong, so I'm going to see if I can figure out what the problem is tomorrow.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ZackandEliza View Post
    I have found if you will go into reverse from 1st gear it eliminates the slam into reverse
    Thanks very much for the suggestion. I will try doing it that way and see if it solves the "slam".

Spyder Garage

My Spyder does the same when going into reverse.
    My shop tech said..."just think of it as your old Harley"...lol

Spyder Garage

Default I’d trade up but...

Way to rich for my blood!
    https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/...ted-5002279184

must be made of that newly discovered fine gemmetal diamondblackgold.
    2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Congrats

Congrats on the new one. I just picked up the 18 blue in dark. Happy sMiles to you.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Congrats,

enjoy !!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Winni-Laker View Post
    Thanks for the info. and good wishes, Jarred. My RT Ltd is Oxford Blue Metallic with Chrome. I seem to have taught myself something today about using BRP Connect. Through trial & error, I found out that (at least it seems to me) if I connect my phone to the USB port before turning the key on, BRP Connect establishes its link pretty reliably when I pull the lever. If I turn the key on and then plug my phone into the USB port, BRP Connect doesn't seem to want to "connect". But plugging the phone in first seems to work pretty reliably, at least so far.

I'm now working on getting the Accuweather app to work. I downloaded and installed it on my phone, but the BRP Connect app doesn't recognize it. Probably something I've done wrong, so I'm going to see if I can figure out what the problem is tomorrow.
    Love the blue. Since my Escape is a blue, I went with the white/dark edition. Agree on plugging phone in first.

Spyder Garage

I’m gonna try this too.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    OK Bob, here ya' go!

2018 RT Ltd.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks!

You are absolutely right! Shifting into 1st gear and then into reverse completely eliminates the reverse gear "clank". Thanks very much for the tip.

2018 RT Ltd.

Spyder Garage
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Pretty

OK Bob, here ya' go!

That's a good looking byke! Enjoy!
    ~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on your new spyder-ENJOY it. Dale

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by d.o.spyder-rts View Post
    on your new spyder-ENJOY it. Dale
    Thanks,
    Will see Tuesday the 18th when Tim can look at it.
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Hi everyone,

My wife and I just traded in our 2012 RT Ltd on a new 2018 RT Ltd. We thoroughly enjoyed our 2012 model, but the many changes and improvements in the new models gave us the itch to up-trade.

At this point we've put about 250 miles on the new RT and the experience has been very satisfying ... and a lot of fun. The 1330 engine and SE6's six gears are, to me, a big improvement over the 998 engine and five speeds in our 2012 model. The 1330 engine is very smooth, quiet, and powerful, and the six-speed transmission with closer gear ratios between shifts is a big improvement as well. Also, I like the way the 1330 engine develops strong power at lower RPMs, allowing much earlier up-shifts than were possible with our 2012 RT.

Also, the steering effort on the new RT is a big improvement over our 2012 model. I am having to re-learn my "muscle memory" to avoid over-steering the new RT because the steering effort is so much improved.

So far the "nanny" is telling me we are averaging 47 mpg, which surprised me. I will continue to measure the fuel economy over a longer time frame and mileage, but the 1330 engine is definitely a gas miser compared to our previous 998.

So far my only quibbles are that when using BRP Connect with the Genius Map app, the operator loses the tachometer function on the electronic display. I find myself frequently squeezing the BRP Connect lever on the left hand grip to temporarily hide the GPS screen so the RPM indicator reappears, then squeezing the BRP Connect lever again when I want to bring the GPS screen back.

My only other quibble is that the transmission seems to "slam" into reverse quite loudly. Our 2012 RT did somewhat the same thing, but the "clank" of the new SE6 transmission when shifting into reverse seems louder than I remember on the previous RT. Do other SE6 owners experience the same thing?

All in all, we are thoroughly enjoying our new RT! We're looking forward to many fun miles ahead.
    ‘Congratulations! I just traded my 2012 too, and I agree with your comments about the improvements. Appreciate all the comment suggesting how to stop that reverse “clunk”. Good to know!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda7821 View Post
    ‘Congratulations! I just traded my 2012 too, and I agree with your comments about the improvements. Appreciate all the comment suggesting how to stop that reverse “clunk”. Good to know!
    Thanks, Wanda, and congratulations to you as well! And welcome to the Spyderlovers Forum. You'll find there are lots of good folks here who will be glad to answer any questions you may have. Enjoy!

2018 RT Ltd.

Spyder Garage

That clunk is natural. Its a good sign.

Spyder Garage

Hi everyone,

Also, the steering effort on the new RT is a big improvement over our 2012 model. I am having to re-train my "muscle memory" to avoid over-steering the new RT because the steering effort is so much improved.

I have a 2018 RT Limited also and agree with the loud "clank" when shifting into reverse or first gear for that matter also????? I appreciate it is somewhat normal noise, but very annoying and/or concerning???
    BIG F