Spyder Garage

Cool can i put another warrenty on my used rt limited 2014 with 9000 miles?

i would like to extend it for another 3 years? and how much would it cost me? and who could do this for me? last week end i saw can am spyder with 60,000 miles tough machine! they said they were happy with their spyder!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Have you;

-talked to a dealer
    -contacted BRP
    -'searched' any of the forums

for that info?

This forum is a veritable Library of Alexandria* of information available regarding most everything regarding Spyders, especially basic info.

*the ancient world's single greatest archive of knowledge, the Library of Alexandria
    Last edited by Docster; 09-04-2018 at 02:50 PM.
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue

Spyder Garage

You can only extend the original BRP (BEST) warranty within the first two years after the original sale. If you are not the original owner, you probably are out of luck unless the original owner already extended the warranty. There are other after-market warranties available. I am sure others will chime in with their recommendations.

Spyder Garage

What Boilermaker said. Extended warranties by BRP need to be on board before the original warranty expires.

Aftermarket warranties have good and bad reputations. Some are quick to collect the money up front, but are very lax about paying out. Due diligence is a must.

There should be some extended warranty threads in the archives. They usually name good and bad companies to deal with.

My 2014 had two years of extended. Did not need to use it once. No further warranties on either of my machines. Warranty ran out 4/30 of this year.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 09-04-2018 at 04:38 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

A lot of bikes were sold with the normal 2 year warranty plus an additional B.E.S.T. warranty as an incentive. That gives you 3 years instead of 2. In order to add to that, you need to purchase another extension BEFORE the end of the warranty. Then you can purchase another 2 years giving the bike a total of 5 years warranty. Doesn't matter if you are the original owner or not. The warranty follows the bike. If you are completely out of warranty, then you are pretty much on your own. Not aware of any company that will sell you a warranty after expiration.......
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

"Management" and I just bought a 2015 Special Series (on Nov. 9th} from a dealership and we also bought a 3 yr "Service Contract" for $1595.00 . National Auto Care Corporation 800-548-1875. I don't know if it can only be bought thru a dealership or not. Give them a call. My bike insurance is thru Progressive and the 2014 Triumph Trophy premium is $57.57/mo, with 2015 Spyder added it went up to $104.xx/mo. I have companies calling me all the time to get me to buy and extended warranty for my pickup, so, you can try Googling "Motorcycle Service Contracts and see what pops up.
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revalden View Post
    you can try Googling "Motorcycle Service Contracts and see what pops up.
    But beware of scams.

I think you should ONLY consider plans from companies that your local dealer trusts and has worked with.

AND.....read the details carefully before giving anybody money. Some are written in such a way that they cover almost nothing.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    But beware of scams.

I think you should ONLY consider plans from companies that your local dealer trusts and has worked with.

AND.....read the details carefully before giving anybody money. Some are written in such a way that they cover almost nothing.
    Our experience is that ALL aftermarket warranties are written in such a way as to avoid the maximum number of claims. The only extended warranty worth the paper its written on is from the OEM. In this case, BRP. If the bike is old enough to not qualify, you are far better off just putting the premium in a savings account to draw interest until your rainy day.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    If the bike is old enough to not qualify, you are far better off just putting the premium in a savings account to draw interest until your rainy day.
    The "experts" all say that is true of ANY extended warranty.
    It's like playing the slots, the odds are ALWAYS with the house.
    And any one given individual almost never comes out ahead.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

An extended warrantee is only as good as the service shop manager. He's the one who communicates with the warrantee provider and is the go between for you and your provider.

Spyder Garage

I got in trouble on this one. My Spyder came with four years, so as we got close to the end of year four I looked at options. What I found out was that I would have needed to buy the extended warranty (thought anybody) during the TWO first years of ORIGINAL FACTORY WARRANTY, and that the second two years were actually an extended warranty and therefore not considered part of the original warrant period. Basically, IF YOU WANT TO EXTEND YOUR WARRANTY, DO IT BEFORE THE FIRST TWO YEARS ARE UP, even if your Spyder comes with extra years from BRP.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Warranty

All Good Tips and very helpful.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

All true, my point was more about the OEM being far more willing to cover repairs. OEM extended warranties generally operate under very similar terms to the original factory warranty program. Aftermaket warranties make the shop jump through a bunch more hoops, specific procedures etc before claims are paid. If they pay at all. They are designed specifically to avoid payments.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    I got in trouble on this one. My Spyder came with four years, so as we got close to the end of year four I looked at options. What I found out was that I would have needed to buy the extended warranty (thought anybody) during the TWO first years of ORIGINAL FACTORY WARRANTY, and that the second two years were actually an extended warranty and therefore not considered part of the original warrant period. Basically, IF YOU WANT TO EXTEND YOUR WARRANTY, DO IT BEFORE THE FIRST TWO YEARS ARE UP, even if your Spyder comes with extra years from BRP.
    I had the Finance Guy at my dealership tell me exactly the same thing. Even though I was still covered by the extended BEST warranty, he said I was unable to purchase any more extension because the initial 2 year warranty had expired. He was WRONG. I talked to a different person at the dealership and was able to purchase an additional 2 year BEST extension without issue. Sometimes people just spout what they think regardless of reality. The facts are, you can purchase an extension of your BEST warranty to a maximum of 5 years from the date the vehicle is first placed into retail service as long as it is still under warranty. Don't let some lazy, know-nothing, fast-talking, pimply-faced kid at the dealership mislead you.....
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

If I had hindsight I would avoid RPM ONE.
    Even though they have paid out twice, the coverage was less than preferred
    Example, air bag was replaced, they paid for the part, but would only cover 6/10th of 1 hour of labor. Dealership charged 3 hours.
    2011 RT limited , BajaRon plugs and custom wires Pearl white

Spyder Garage

Many, if not most aftermarket warranties require you to pay for repairs up front then submit your claim to the warranty company and keep your fingers crossed for some amount of reimbursement. IMO, the best approach after the five year total BRP warranty expires is to rathole your own funds, do or have done the required maintenance and keep your fingers crossed. happens!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I had the Finance Guy at my dealership tell me exactly the same thing. Even though I was still covered by the extended BEST warranty, he said I was unable to purchase any more extension because the initial 2 year warranty had expired. He was WRONG. I talked to a different person at the dealership and was able to purchase an additional 2 year BEST extension without issue. Sometimes people just spout what they think regardless of reality. The facts are, you can purchase an extension of your BEST warranty to a maximum of 5 years from the date the vehicle is first placed into retail service as long as it is still under warranty. Don't let some lazy, know-nothing, fast-talking, pimply-faced kid at the dealership mislead you.....
    I spoke with multiple people at multiple dealerships on this one, and couldn't get anywhere. These were people who wanted to sell me the warranty, and they were on the experienced side as best as I could tell. I, however, was more focused on a Western warranty (which can be serviced by Pirate Powersports) than another year of BRP (which required I go a dealer). They told me they would be happy to sell me the Western warranty, but I should expect that when it came to use that I would be denied.

Next time...
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

The difference is you were looking at something other than BRP warranty. I don't have any experience with those. With BRP warranties, there are only 2 things that dictate how long you can keep warranty coverage. First, it must still be currently covered. That can be either the original 2 year warranty or an extension of the BEST warranty. It is very common for dealers to include a one year Best extension at the time of sale as a sales inducement giving the purchaser 3 years coverage. Prior to expiration of that insurance, BRP will sell an additional extension of the BEST warranty out to a maximum of 5 years from the original sale date. I purchased my 2014 used and it still had one month of the original 3 year BEST coverage. I was able to purchase an additional 2 years warranty which will expire 05/19 which is 5 years from the original purchase date. Then, look out, ECU flash here I come.....
    Semper Fi