Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear your injuries were no worse than they were! Bike/trike/deer crashes are always a bitch no matter what. Best wishes on a speedy and full recovery--------good on you for not letting this get you down or deter your future riding plans!

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

What kind of gloves were you wearing? What do you think are better gloves?
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Spyder Garage

I led a ride this weekend in the Ozarks. Yesterday coming off Mt Magazine one of our members saw a deer and panicked. She was in a hairpin turn and crashed. Badly broken leg and still in a hospital in Russellville. Please pray for her and her husband who is handeling all the details.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WA5VHU View Post
    What kind of gloves were you wearing? What do you think are better gloves?
    I was using a cheap around $20.00 kinda like air flex gloves. Does great until you need them. This is the set I ordered.
    https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...ulse-st-gloves
    David

Spyder Garage

Wow! I'm so glad you were able to survive an accident with a deer on your bike. Prayers that you recover quickly. Your post is a great cautionary tale of how we should wear our protective gear while riding. I ride and live in the Missouri Ozarks where the deer population outnumber the human population. I have hit three deer while in a vehicle but never on a bike (one very close call but we just missed each other)! I remember being told that the most dangerous animal in North America is the white tailed deer because it is responsible for more deaths due to traffic accidents than any other animal.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    I led a ride this weekend in the Ozarks. Yesterday coming off Mt Magazine one of our members saw a deer and panicked. She was in a hairpin turn and crashed. Badly broken leg and still in a hospital in Russellville. Please pray for her and her husband who is handeling all the details.
    How do you crash a Spyder?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Good for the OP for having (mostly) good gear on. Undoubtedly saved him from being hurt much worse.

And for the commenters who seem to be relying on divine providence instead of protective gear - I've never seen any evidence that God will protect you from the consequences of your own choices.

I figure God did his part by giving us brains - if we get hurt because we don't use them, that's on us.
    current ryde: 2017 RT-S

previous bikes:
    1975 Yamaha RD 200, 1978 Honda CX 500, 1980 Yamaha SR 500, 1982 Kawasaki GPZ 550,
    2005 Suzuki V-Strom 650, 2006 Yamaha FJR 1300, 2015 Kawasaki Versys 650LT
    2017 RT-S , bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rodentrancher View Post
    Good for the OP for having (mostly) good gear on. Undoubtedly saved him from being hurt much worse.

And for the commenters who seem to be relying on divine providence instead of protective gear - I've never seen any evidence that God will protect you from the consequences of your own choices.

I figure God did his part by giving us brains - if we get hurt because we don't use them, that's on us.
    Thanks for the reply. The commend about being scared is way wrong. My gear saved me so I could ride again. No hospital stay ans just plain smart planning. I can enjoy my ride just as good with my riding gear on as the ones with flip flops, tee shirt and shorts. Difference is what happened to me and able to be writing this comment. I know looking at my helmet ,modular, if I would have had any other helmet I would probably be missing my right lower jaw. That is not being scared but smart. I like your remark about divine protection. Will post a picture later of the helmet and gloves.
    David

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When I look at my club I notice maybe 5-10% wear body armor.
    Most own body armor but will not wear it because its uncomfortable, so why buy it?
    I own body armor but stopped wearing it for the same reasons.
    Rather than "talk" about body armor and not wear it I "talk" about riding safety.
    Prevention is worth a pound of cure.

If I do succumb to a fatale injury and the good lord lets me into his kingdom I will ask for internet access.
    The good lord will ask why? …….and I will tell him its to post on Spyderlovers and bust more balls....cause its just fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Two cats View Post
    That's a good quote. I don't want to ride all bundled up in the summer. Winter is ok. All we wear is our jeans and and tee shirts. I've had 3 bike wrecks and still dress for the weather conditions. If the time comes to go meet my maker.Then it don't matter what you have on. But to each their own. HAPPY TRAILS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
    When I look at my club I notice maybe 5-10% wear body armor.
    Most own body armor but will not wear it because its uncomfortable, so why buy it?
    I own body armor but stopped wearing it for the same reasons.
    Rather than "talk" about body armor and not wear it I "talk" about riding safety.
    Prevention is worth a pound of cure.

If I do succumb to a fatale injury and the good lord lets me into his kingdom I will ask for internet access.
    The good lord will ask why? …….and I will tell him its to post on Spyderlovers and bust more balls....cause its just fun.
    When I ride with a group we all talk about riding safe and ride within your ability. Watching idiots driver, road condition is a must. Deer, trees falling, etc is a completely different matter. I try and plan for the "What if" I know reading your post it will not make you wear gear. I only pray for good riding and always 3 tires down.
    David

Spyder Garage

Pictures of some of my gear. First is my right glove and next is the left glove. And different pictures of riding gear.glove2.jpgglove1.jpgjacket2.jpgjacket3.jpgh1.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm not against safety gear.
    Those pictures tell me that gear took some of the injuries away from you.
    I'm saying that for me and most riders safety gear takes away from the whole point of feeling the freedom.
    Without that freedom I don't see the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    Pictures of some of my gear. First is my right glove and next is the left glove. And different pictures of riding gear.glove2.jpgglove1.jpgjacket2.jpgjacket3.jpgh1.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
    I'm not against safety gear.
    Those pictures tell me that gear took some of the injuries away from you.
    I'm saying that for me and most riders safety gear takes away from the whole point of feeling the freedom.
    Without that freedom I don't see the point.
    Your and my way of looking at freedom are different. Wearing my gear no way takes away from my freedom were as it does with you. All have different views and I respect your input. It's funny how we think on things. You feel freedom taken away and me it doesn't bother me. I guess we can agree to disagree. Ride safe and may God be with you. Oh by the way my gear saved me a lot. The doctor told my wife that it saved my life.
    David

Spyder Garage

Warlock, thanks for posting the pics.

I've wondered how well modular helmets would handle chin bar impacts (as opposed to regular full-face helmets). Based on your experience, the answer seems to be
    "Pretty darn well".

Might have to get a modular next time around, would make dealing with my eyeglasses easier.
    current ryde: 2017 RT-S

previous bikes:
    1975 Yamaha RD 200, 1978 Honda CX 500, 1980 Yamaha SR 500, 1982 Kawasaki GPZ 550,
    2005 Suzuki V-Strom 650, 2006 Yamaha FJR 1300, 2015 Kawasaki Versys 650LT
    2017 RT-S , bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rodentrancher View Post
    Warlock, thanks for posting the pics.

I've wondered how well modular helmets would handle chin bar impacts (as opposed to regular full-face helmets). Based on your experience, the answer seems to be
    "Pretty darn well".

Might have to get a modular next time around, would make dealing with my eyeglasses easier.
    I wear glasses also. The helmet I was wearing also carries a European standard test code that is better than the DOT test. I was getting headaches with my Cmax helmet due to it's weight. The LS2 is much lighter and just ordered another one just like it. I noticed in one picture that it looks like it doesn't match well from the side view. I didn't have it latched on that picture.
    David

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Your and my way of looking at freedom are different. Wearing my gear no way takes away from my freedom were as it does with you. All have different views and I respect your input. It's funny how we think on things. You feel freedom taken away and me it doesn't bother me. I guess we can agree to disagree. Ride safe and may God be with you. Oh by the way my gear saved me a lot. The doctor told my wife that it saved my life.
    David
    I totally agree with you. When I was riding two wheel I did always were protective gear. After having the Spyder I started getting more relaxed and stop wearing the clothing but have never gave up the helmet but did start wearing an open face helmet. After reading about your accident I am rethinking about the gear to wear. I have never thought about it being so uncomfortable. It was more the inconvenience of putting it on and off. I believe I would rather that inconvenience than the inconvenience of being laid up or killed. I never use to ever ride without armored jacket and gloves. When ever traveling I wore the armored pants but not all the time. I am going to look into the armored jeans and maybe start wearing them. In Iowa we do not have the helmet law and you see so many people not wearing them. Again most Spyder riders in my area do not wear protect gear. I had one Harley rider tell me they don't dress to wreck they dress to ride.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

2F655D18-3388-4332-9008-5C98FDCEE41A.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    How do you crash a Spyder?
    Accidents happen.
    Last edited by AY4B; 09-05-2018 at 07:51 PM.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gerald37 View Post
    I totally agree with you. When I was riding two wheel I did always were protective gear. After having the Spyder I started getting more relaxed and stop wearing the clothing but have never gave up the helmet but did start wearing an open face helmet. After reading about your accident I am rethinking about the gear to wear. I have never thought about it being so uncomfortable. It was more the inconvenience of putting it on and off. I believe I would rather that inconvenience than the inconvenience of being laid up or killed. I never use to ever ride without armored jacket and gloves. When ever traveling I wore the armored pants but not all the time. I am going to look into the armored jeans and maybe start wearing them. In Iowa we do not have the helmet law and you see so many people not wearing them. Again most Spyder riders in my area do not wear protect gear. I had one Harley rider tell me they don't dress to wreck they dress to ride.
    Here is the new riding pants I ordered. Read some good reviews. Not armored but Kevlar lined. My slider jeans was also lined.
    https://www.gusset.com/jeans/defender
    David

Spyder Garage

Looks like she has on riding pants, if she was the victim.Hope all went well.
    David

Spyder Garage

Looks like she has on riding pants, if she was the victim.Hope all went well.
    David
    Patsy Saw a deer and panicked. She is a fairly new ryder and instead of braking , she accelerated on a sharp curve and lost control. She has a badly broken leg an was in the Ambulance when I took this pic. She was transported to Russellville and has had surgery. This was in Arkansas soon after going down Mt Magazine. The ladies you see standing there were just part of our group. we were 14 total on the last day of a 3 day Ozark ryde Labor Day weekend.
    Last edited by AY4B; 09-06-2018 at 04:41 AM.
    2017 F3 Limited

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that you made it out pretty well. I do wear a little less with the spyder than I do when riding the M109. For me it is because I tend to ride a little closer to the edge when on 2 wheels. But even on the spyder, I always wear closed toe shoes, armored jacket, and atleast a 3/4 or modular helmet. My biggest let downs is that I often wear fingerless gloves and just jeans. When on the M109 I always wear a modular or full helmet, armor, boots or 3/4 height shoes, and good gloves with armor in places. Again, I only wear jeans. After reading your post, I am going to consider getting some kevlar jeans.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Patsy Saw a deer and panicked. She is a fairly new ryder and instead of braking , she accelerated on a sharp curve and lost control. She has a badly broken leg an was in the Ambulance when I took this pic. She was transported to Russellville and has had surgery. This was in Arkansas soon after going down Mt Magazine. The ladies you see standing there were just part of our group. we were 14 total on the last day of a 3 day Ozark ryde Labor Day weekend.
    I hope she heals quickly. Everyone reacts different. I really don't know in the future how I will act when I see a deer. Riding gear to me is a no brainer, but you can still break bones. If I didn't have it on that night I would probably had a 4 or 5 day hospital stay. And was also thinking about how important my module helmet was. I had to call 911 myself and with a 3/4 helmet probably wouldn't have a jaw left. Then what would I have done. I've had time to think about the wreck and can see nothing be 100% view on my gear and why it is important to me and will never be caught without it.
    David

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Armor Jeans

Has anyone ever purchased and used these jeans? They seem pretty reasonable. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079SFCSLK?pf_rd_p=d1f45e03-8b73-4c9a-9beb-4819111bef9a&pf
    Last edited by gerald37; 09-06-2018 at 08:37 PM.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Default Glad you are alright

Glad to read that you are alright. Living in North Central, PA, we are constantly on the lookout for our furry friends. I wear ATTGATT and some of my friends give me grief about it, but it is my body, the only one the good Lord gave me. If you choose to ride with or without gear, that is your choice, but as your incident showed, gear sometimes makes the situation better.
    Hope you get back to riding soon.

Bob
    North Central, PA

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gerald37 View Post
    Has anyone ever purchased and used these jeans? They seem pretty reasonable. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079SFCSLK?pf_rd_p=d1f45e03-8b73-4c9a-9beb-4819111bef9a&pf
    I would say any effort for safety is a plus. My sliders only had the Kevlar in them and they worked. Still got strawberry on my knees but better than road rash.
    David