Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Had a wreck on my Wing

As everyone knows I just went back to 2 wheels about a month ago. Friday around 7 pm was enjoying the ride and listening to music. Next thing I new hit a deer. Never seen it at all. Was running around 60 when I went down. Was able to get to my phone and call 911. Was really scared because both knees was hurting bad and 2 years ago had them both replaced. Going to spare all the details but God had his hands around me, I had all my riding gear on. Only thing I wished I had done different was better riding gloves. Right hand took a lot of road rash. Glove looked shredded. Went to ER and no broken bones or stitches. My slider jeans done their job alone with my Modular helmet and tour master mesh jacket. If I would have had better gloves thing would have been better. Bike minimum damage and can be fixed. The way the deer hit me if I had been on my Spyder I think the deer would have taken me out. Just thinking no proof on this. The main reason for this post is when I road my Spyder I would wear regular jeans with my other gear. Now that this happened I could never get on any bike or trike with the proper gear. My wounds ended like this. Rash to right hand and a little on left elbow. Payment ate thru the jacket their but not bad. Strawberry right shoulder and both knees with strawberry's. If not for the proper gear my knees would have been like hamburger meat. Helmet all skinned right side along with the face shield. If I had on a open face or skull helmet probably wouldn't have a right jaw. I have almost hit deer in the pass but this one I never seen it coming. Road was real close to the tree line and it must have been in a run when it hit me. Was a doe around 150 lbs and yes it killed the deer. So bottom line is is better to have the proper gear and hoping to never use it on need it and not have it on. I know the gear will not protect against breaks but the protection of the road rash. They call it rash but believe me that's not a proper name for it. So fellow riders be careful out there. I'm healing and waiting on insurance to look at the bike and as of right now plans on getting back on the Wing.
    David

Spyder Garage

Thank god you survived the crash with minimal injuries
    2014 Spyder RSS SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Please explain why you think it would have been a worse outcome on the Spyder. Thanks
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that you are okay. (Relatively speaking...)
    The best of luck in dealing with your insurance company!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    As everyone knows I just went back to 2 wheels about a month ago. Friday around 7 pm was enjoying the ride and listening to music. Next thing I new hit a deer. Never seen it at all. Was running around 60 when I went down. Was able to get to my phone and call 911. Was really scared because both knees was hurting bad and 2 years ago had them both replaced. Going to spare all the details but God had his hands around me, I had all my riding gear on. Only thing I wished I had done different was better riding gloves. Right hand took a lot of road rash. Glove looked shredded. Went to ER and no broken bones or stitches. My slider jeans done their job alone with my Modular helmet and tour master mesh jacket. If I would have had better gloves thing would have been better. Bike minimum damage and can be fixed. The way the deer hit me if I had been on my Spyder I think the deer would have taken me out. Just thinking no proof on this. The main reason for this post is when I road my Spyder I would wear regular jeans with my other gear. Now that this happened I could never get on any bike or trike with the proper gear. My wounds ended like this. Rash to right hand and a little on left elbow. Payment ate thru the jacket their but not bad. Strawberry right shoulder and both knees with strawberry's. If not for the proper gear my knees would have been like hamburger meat. Helmet all skinned right side along with the face shield. If I had on a open face or skull helmet probably wouldn't have a right jaw. I have almost hit deer in the pass but this one I never seen it coming. Road was real close to the tree line and it must have been in a run when it hit me. Was a doe around 150 lbs and yes it killed the deer. So bottom line is is better to have the proper gear and hoping to never use it on need it and not have it on. I know the gear will not protect against breaks but the protection of the road rash. They call it rash but believe me that's not a proper name for it. So fellow riders be careful out there. I'm healing and waiting on insurance to look at the bike and as of right now plans on getting back on the Wing.
    David
    Yikes, glad things are relatively ok. Might have to rethink my apparel when on the Spyder. Kind of relaxed the gear from 2 wheels to 3.

Willie
    The Future is Not Today (Motorcycle Blog) http://nomadwillie.blogspot.com/ IBA 32847
    2015 RT-S
    2015 RT-S , White

Spyder Garage

Best wishes for a swift and complete recovery. Deer strike at 60, you're a lucky guy.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Please explain why you think it would have been a worse outcome on the Spyder. Thanks
    + 1

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I use to ride a GS not as much protection as a RT. I forgot to mention that. Mt fairing kept the deer off me. At the height it hit me it would have went right thru my Madstad windshield and probably hit me in my chest. This is just a opinion and mine from my eyes view. I'm not saying the Spyder is way worst than any bike in a situation that I went thru. I think if I had been on a v twin with a winshield I would say the same thing as the Spyder. I believe with the fixed fairing on the Goldwing was a plus. Now just to make it to plainer I believe If I had been on a RT it would have protected me also. Might not have went down at all or could been worst. I will say between the 2 Spyders I would want to have been on a RT instead of my GS.
    David
    Last edited by Warlock; 09-03-2018 at 10:56 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Yikes...!!!

So glad you are here to tell us about even as beat up as you are. Heal well and hope it will be quick and as painless as possible...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear about your accident and glad to hear you made it thru with minor injuries. Heal quickly. Dale

Spyder Garage

Default Good news

Yes, someone was watching out for you and your here to tell us about it! Glad you made it through.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default You know they say.......

IT IS NOT IF YOU GO DOWN, IT'S WHEN.....
    I rode motorcycles for 57 years before being T-Boned by a drunk.....
    I had all the right stuff on as well and damn glad I did....
    Happy you are only scratched up you will heal and it sounds like you
    are in good spirits as well.
    You have shown others that it is better safe than sorry.
    Ride Safe
    Dave

David

Spyder Garage

Oh wow! So glad you are okay! That is scary.
    2011 RSS SE5
    2011 RSS , BajaRon Orange/Matte Black

Spyder Garage

David
    Your comments are right on and I recommend reading your full post at least a couple times. It gives us a lot to think about when it comes to riding gear selection. I sometimes wear fingerless gloves and non-Kevlar riding jeans while on my bikes. I have two spyders and one two wheeler.

I am going to re-think some of my ATGATT stuff. The big problem, you never know where or when--and then it is to late.

I have dodged Moose a couple times in 18 years. And I have dodged bear a couple times. The last bear encounter was a couple weeks ago. A mom and two cubs ran across the Glenn Hwy (major traffic). Two lanes each way (65-75 mph) and a big center median. The bears just zoomed across all four lanes. Lucky that most drivers were observant, we slowed down, but there were no close calls on that incident. One of the bears took a big crap as it was running across my lane--so I had to also dodge that.

Like they used to say on "Hill Street Blues...""Be safe out there."
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 09-03-2018 at 02:11 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

After reading some many people telling about ATGATT and now I have been thru it. No one knows when accidents will happen. Riding is a danger within itself. Knowing now is why ATGATT is very important. My right hand too a beating due to me not wearing a better pair of gloves. Bad way to learn a lesson but at least I was smart enough on my other gear.
    David

Spyder Garage

Glad your ok. Could have been a lot worse. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Default Whew...

Glad to hear you're relatively okay. But, no matter what I ride, it's ATGATT.
    Just the way I am. No judging.
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Spyder Garage

glad u are ok

Spyder Garage

I would say your thinking is correct. My nephew got caught by a deer on a Harley with no windshield at all, at a much slower speed [45]. Hit him in the chest and burst his aorta. Wife on the back was just fine. Just few scrapes. Devine providents (God) holds us in the palm of his hand.
    Glad to hear you got thru it and keep a positive attitude. God Bless.

I use to ride a GS not as much protection as a RT. I forgot to mention that. Mt fairing kept the deer off me. At the height it hit me it would have went right thru my Madstad windshield and probably hit me in my chest. This is just a opinion and mine from my eyes view. I'm not saying the Spyder is way worst than any bike in a situation that I went thru. I think if I had been on a v twin with a winshield I would say the same thing as the Spyder. I believe with the fixed fairing on the Goldwing was a plus. Now just to make it to plainer I believe If I had been on a RT it would have protected me also. Might not have went down at all or could been worst. I will say between the 2 Spyders I would want to have been on a RT instead of my GS.
    David

Spyder Garage

Praise the Lord you were not hurt worse! Even on the Spyder, I still were all my gear. Well, most of the time. When it's in the mid 90's I have on occasion not wore my mesh jacket.
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Refined Cycle's BPE2 brake pedal extension.
    Pedal Box
    2013 RT Limited , Refined Cycle BPE2 White

Spyder Garage

So sorry about your accident, and glad your recovery seems optimistic !

Hottest summer I can remember and had no problem following ATGATT, so much good ventilated gear these days. Have much more trouble convincing my "not regular" passengers.

Spyder Garage

For the first 5 years of Spyder riding I wore all leather. This past summer I started to wear jeans. Now I will rethink that for next year. I ride a 2008 GS.
    Hope you heal quickly.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    For the first 5 years of Spyder riding I wore all leather. This past summer I started to wear jeans. Now I will rethink that for next year. I ride a 2008 GS.
    Hope you heal quickly.
    This will be my next jeans.
    https://www.gusset.com/jeans/defende...ycle-jean-blue
    David

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I t-boned a deer two years ago at 30MPH on a previous bike.
    Same situation as yours regarding the tree line next to the road.
    No injuries but $1,000 in damages.
    With that said...... I still wear only comfortable attire. (t-shirt, shorts)
    When "fear" plays into my riding then I'll know its time to change hobbies.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
    I t-boned a deer two years ago at 30MPH on a previous bike.
    Same situation as yours regarding the tree line next to the road.
    No injuries but $1,000 in damages.
    With that said...... I still wear only comfortable attire. (t-shirt, shorts)
    When "fear" plays into my riding then I'll know its time to change hobbies.
    That's a good quote. I don't want to ride all bundled up in the summer. Winter is ok. All we wear is our jeans and and tee shirts. I've had 3 bike wrecks and still dress for the weather conditions. If the time comes to go meet my maker.Then it don't matter what you have on. But to each their own. HAPPY TRAILS
    Last edited by Two cats; 09-05-2018 at 08:37 AM.