Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question Ever Flip Over When Cornering?

I ride a 2012 RTSE5 with recommended tire pressure. I'm curious if anyone has flipped a Spyder while cornering. I always slow down, and don't take the corners as fast as my 2 wheel buds. I've never felt the wheels leave the ground, but its surely possible if the speed is too high, and I don't want to flip. Has anyone flipped while cornering, barring any other cause (no mechanical issues, traffic, obstructions, etc.)?

Spyder Garage

I take the corners at the posted speed for them sitting straight up. I don't lean into the corner as I'm not needing to take them faster.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There are enough vehicle stability controls in place; to do a pretty good job of preventing this...

But every time you build something that is "Fool-Proof": a better grade of fool will show up to show you the error of your ways!

(Don't forget to lean into the turns... )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default No....

But you can flip it if you go backwards too fast and turn it sharp. It's been done before.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You are correct: the VSS doesn't help a bit if you're in reverse...

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You can go as fast as your two wheel brothers do. You do want to lean into the turns with yiu upper body while pushing on the outside handlebar, pulling with the inside bar, and pushing with the outside foot, so Push, Push, Pull!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

You can do the corners at least as fast as your 2 wheeler and maybe faster. Follow the Pirate's advice and as you get more comfortable with it you will go faster. Also slow just a little as you go in and speed up as you come out.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I ride with my local club Port Stockton Motorcycle Club founded 1937, ( just had to through that in)
    we have many sport bikes, Harley's, GoldWings, duel sports and others when they ride they usually try
    to push it a little fast however they have not ditched me yet... but they try.

Quote Originally Posted by solidgranite View Post
    I ride a 2012 RTSE5 with recommended tire pressure. I'm curious if anyone has flipped a Spyder while cornering. I always slow down, and don't take the corners as fast as my 2 wheel buds. I've never felt the wheels leave the ground, but its surely possible if the speed is too high, and I don't want to flip. Has anyone flipped while cornering, barring any other cause (no mechanical issues, traffic, obstructions, etc.)?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default flipping

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    You can go as fast as your two wheel brothers do. You do want to lean into the turns with yiu upper body while pushing on the outside handlebar, pulling with the inside bar, and pushing with the outside foot, so Push, Push, Pull!
    ........ I do the twisties beyond the limit ..... Those yellow speed advisory signs , I mostly do them at twice the posted speed and on some occasions almost triple them .... Sorry I know this is bad but - but at 71 I'm still pushing the limits ..... ( on low psi car tires ) ..... in contrast the Slingshot should be even more stabile, but I saw a Video where the Guy had all stability controls shut off and --- yep He flipped ....... You can't shut them off on the Spyder ( possibly a good thing for the Newbie's ).... I believe you might be able to TIP one over ( but not actually FLIP it ).... But you would have to be doing something with the Steering that was COMPLETELY WRONG ( like on purpose ) ..... jmho ...........Mike .....PS Bob Denman found the Slingshot roll-over video ....He linked in His Post
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-31-2018 at 08:42 PM.

Spyder Garage

What has been said about the stability controls on board and leaning a bit into the turn should help the majority of pilots.

I sometimes push the limits on the posted curves, as in 20 mph plus--but am always careful to stay within the lines. I don't want to be that person who meets another head on when someone is in the wrong lane.

The rule about entering any turn without having to use the brakes to slow down is a good one. You should be able to accelerate slightly if you are doing it "right."

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ........ I do the twisties beyond the limit ..... Those yellow speed advisory signs , I mostly do them at twice the posted speed and on some occasions almost triple them .... Sorry I know this is bad but - but at 71 I'm still pushing the limits ..... ( on low psi car tires ) ..... in contrast the Slingshot should be even more stabile, but I saw a Video where the Guy had all stability controls shut off and --- yep He flipped ....... You can't shut them off on the Spyder ( possibly a good thing for the Newbie's ).... I believe you might be able to TIP one over ( but not actually FLIP it ).... But you would have to be doing something with the Steering that was COMPLETELY WRONG ( like on purpose ) ..... jmho ...........Mike
    Me too! Turns are one of the pleasures of the Spyder. IMO the Spyder is more like a sports car than a motorcycle. Being so light and with all that tire contact, it sticks like glue compared to motorcycles. Experiment with yours -- take it to an empty parking lot, lean into the turn and do donuts. It's fun, your motorcycle buddies will be jealous, and you'll develop your confidence. And BTW I only have the stock Kendas. When those wear out, I want to get some summer performance tires and see how fast I can take the corners.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In my opinion if you were able to flip a Spyder over moving forward then something had to have gone VERY, VERY wrong. VERY WRONG. These machines are as stable as can be.

Spyder Garage

Not that I EVER Speed, cornering speed signs are not the speed limit and I usually can corner through at the speed limit, often times 10+ MPH over the corners speed sign. No sense of adverse tipping (Though I do have a few front suspension upgrades. BajaRon Anti-sway bar and Shock Spring Pre-Load Adjuster Kit. Corners like it's on rails.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default better tires

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    Me too! Turns are one of the pleasures of the Spyder. IMO the Spyder is more like a sports car than a motorcycle. Being so light and with all that tire contact, it sticks like glue compared to motorcycles. Experiment with yours -- take it to an empty parking lot, lean into the turn and do donuts. It's fun, your motorcycle buddies will be jealous, and you'll develop your confidence. And BTW I only have the stock Kendas. When those wear out, I want to get some summer performance tires and see how fast I can take the corners.
    js , start looking for a " Vredestein Quatrac 5 " tire seller ...... They have a very wide selection of tires that will easily fit the Spyders..... And they have the BEST traction ratings ( both wet & dry ) of what's available currently. My next tire change will have these, unless something better comes out ( but it would be difficult to top the Vredesteins ..........Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think it is safe to say that all those who flipped their Spyder are not here to tell about it.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I think it is safe to say that all those who flipped their Spyder are not here to tell about it.
    There have been a couple. You are right about the outcome. They were not members--but the news articles were forwarded to us. One couple in Ohio in their 70's for sure.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyders aren't the only ones that can be ridden... or driven: stupidly!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I tell people that I'm not going to say it's impossible to flip a Spyder on a corner, but it is extremely unlikely. Nanny has several sensors, a primary one for cornering being the yaw sensor. If Nanny detects the bike leaning outward too much she will automatically throttle back and set the brakes if it needs to. I've had it happen! When I heard a front tire squeal I don't know if it was sliding sideways on the pavement or if Nanny braked it enough to skid it.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I lifted the right front once, a little over zealous going into a corner, and the NANNY INSTANTLY kicked in, now I nowhat to expect, and never done it since.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ned64 View Post
    I don't lean into the corner as I'm not needing to take them faster.
    On 3 wheels, leaning into a corner is more to keep YOU stable rather than to keep the bike from flipping.
    It is a good habit to develop........because you might go flying off before the Spyder tips over.

Spyder Garage

Default Have not heard of any....

the "in reverse" I have heard of not seen myself. Going forward I have seen wheel lifts and done a few myself but the nanny kicked in and put that suckker back down. You will get comfrotable with the speed in the corners just take your time and go at it little by little and stay in your comfort zone...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    the "in reverse" I have heard of not seen myself. Going forward I have seen wheel lifts and done a few myself but the nanny kicked in and put that suckker back down. You will get comfrotable with the speed in the corners just take your time and go at it little by little and stay in your comfort zone...
    There's a thread here somewhere with a video showing a guy going too fast in reverse and flipping over. The bad part, IIRC, his boss's daughter was watching and the bike belonged to his boss. He was here asking about the best way to get it repaired!

Nanny also will prevent you from going faster than 9 mph in reverse, so there is at least that Nanny control while driving in reverse.

When I took the trike course at Wing Ding in 2016 we did an optional exercise to see how tight and fast we could go in a circle. I managed to get the inside front wheel to lift, but barely. It was a contest between Nanny control and my determination!
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 08-31-2018 at 09:33 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    You are correct: the VSS doesn't help a bit if you're in reverse...
    Yes and with the Spyder having a real reverse gear, there is a lot of torque and very quick takeoff in reverse. I am always amazed at how strong the reverse gear is....
    2016 F3 Limited in Pearl White-LaMonster GPS mount, LED fog lights, BajaRon anti-sway bar, Doc Humphrey's vibration dampener
    2013 Harley Davidson Softail Breakout CVO/ 110ci of potato-potato goodness
    2016 Ducati Xdiavel/ A street demon with a belt and forward controls

Spyder Garage

Default My outside wheel left the ground

Quote Originally Posted by solidgranite View Post
    I have a 2016 RS and I was out on a ride and hit a turn faster than I should have. I leaned into it more that I usually do to hold my lane and when I came out of the turn I heard a chirp from the wheel that was on the outside of the curve and realized it had lifted off the ground in the turn. I didn't feel like it would flip at all but I do pay more attention to my speed around turns now.
    2016 Spyder RS SM5
    2016 RS , Black

Spyder Garage

Default THANK YOU ALL!

Thanks very much for the advice and shared experiences. Its much appreciated. I'll still take corners a bit slower until my confidence rises enough to power through them. :-) I usually slow a bit, then speed up about 1/2 way through the corner, and blast out of it. No problems keeping up with my buds on their Harleys, and I'm a lot more comfortable at the end of a long ride.

Again, thanks for sharing!