Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Default He Gave Up Control?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Spyders aren't the only ones that can be ridden... or driven: stupidly!

It looked like the driver either gave up control, swerving all over the place, or maybe had a mechanical issue with this steering. I NEVER want to experience that!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jmatera View Post
    when I came out of the turn I heard a chirp from the wheel that was on the outside of the curve and realized it had lifted off the ground in the turn.
    That requires some explanation.
    I think you are mistaken.
    I don't think there is any way that you can lift the OUTSIDE WHEEL while in a turn.......with any vehicle.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYDERGUY1 View Post
    I lifted the right front once, a little over zealous going into a corner, and the NANNY INSTANTLY kicked in, now I nowhat to expect, and never done it since.
    Same here, was able to unexpectedly lift right wheel when I

turned left sharply in a turn, now I know the limit As far as
    corners at speed have done 70ish in freeway turns all the time if traffic is lite.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by solidgranite View Post
    It looked like the driver either gave up control, swerving all over the place, or maybe had a mechanical issue with this steering. I NEVER want to experience that!
    to me it looked like he was doing an obstacle
    course where he entered the turn too hot and
    over adjusted the next turn. Too bad, had he
    not tried to save it on the first mistake he could
    have just driven off knowing he was too fast.
    Thats why taking a high speed driving course,
    ie: https://www.springmountainmotorsports.com
    will help immensely, even in an accident....(knock on wood)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The best I can remember of what has been reported here the only incidents of Spyders flipping over had nothing to do with flipping by going around a corner too fast. At least one was a case of the rider going off the road going around a curve and rolling over going over the bank. At least one, IIRC, was a Spyder being broadsided by a car. And there was a guy in Australia who rolled his when a car squeezed him and his front wheel ran up on the curb dividing the highway.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    The best I can remember of what has been reported here the only incidents of Spyders flipping over had nothing to do with flipping by going around a corner too fast. At least one was a case of the rider going off the road going around a curve and rolling over going over the bank. At least one, IIRC, was a Spyder being broadsided by a car. And there was a guy in Australia who rolled his when a car squeezed him and his front wheel ran up on the curb dividing the highway.
    When I was broadsided on right side of spyder
    in a parking lot at low speed each of us going
    8-12 mph my spyder landed on its side and
    then on it's own bounced back up right on all
    3 wheels. I was ejected over windshield to the
    left about 20 feet. Landing on my back.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...830-Broadsided

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post
    Same here, was able to unexpectedly lift right wheel when I turned left...
    Again, that's claiming to lift the OUTSIDE wheel in a turn. The wheel catching all the weight-transfer. See Post #27.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The only 3 wheeled motorcycles (trikes) are the models with one wheel in front and two in back (conventional trike). That is the reason that the conventional trike 3 wheel ATV's were outlawed, too many serious accidents. It is nor hard at all to flip a Harley trike or the popular Honda Goldwing trike conversion.

A Can Am Spyder is the safest trike available by quiet a large margin.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It would not be impossible, though rare, to flip a Spyder. Even a hard swerve, I think you'd be thrown off before the Spyder would flip. In the Polaris video the driver overcorrects and momentum did the rest. At some point, physics wins. I could see where it might happen on a Spyder, if you're cornering hard and you catch a curb with the inside tire, kicking it up faster than the nanny can respond. Or the outside tire catches in a pothole or drops off the pavement into a soft shoulder. But just by going fast on level pavement, I think Nanny would slap you first before flipping.
    Last edited by asp125; 09-03-2018 at 09:43 AM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default NO!,,

Quote Originally Posted by solidgranite View Post
    I ride a 2012 RTSE5 with recommended tire pressure. I'm curious if anyone has flipped a Spyder while cornering. I always slow down, and don't take the corners as fast as my 2 wheel buds. I've never felt the wheels leave the ground, but its surely possible if the speed is too high, and I don't want to flip. Has anyone flipped while cornering, barring any other cause (no mechanical issues, traffic, obstructions, etc.)?

No

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default no

i ride a 16 f 3 can raise inside tire about 6 inches or so off the ground before nanny kicks in there is no possible way to get out side tire off the ground when cornering as to flipping i say no rode the dragon last friday riding as hard as i wanted to having a great time until i got busted doing 55 n a 30

Spyder Garage

here is an interesting video of a Spyder lifting a wheel in a turn.

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ofdave View Post
    here is an interesting video of a Spyder lifting a wheel in a turn.
    I wonder how well the Police Edition Spyder is selling. Lifting the inside wheel is probably possible because of changes to Nanny specifically for the Police version.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I was very hesitant in the turns initially as well after buying my Spyder. The Can Am-sponsored three-wheeled motorcycle class gave me a LOT more confidence and comfort when making sharp adjustments, taking turns, etc. Coming from a two-wheel ride I thought I would roll the Spyder or lose traction on one of the front wheels, when in fact, nothing could be further from the truth. These bikes are very stable. With traction control/nanny mode, ABS and everything built in, there will be rare occasions when you push the bike too hard.

I can tell you, after taking that course and putting 500+ miles on it since then, that I feel SO MUCH more comfortable in the corners and can ride through them at much higher speeds than I ever did on two wheels. There are posts in this forum as well which tell stories of two-wheel riders trying to keep up with Spyders in the turns.

Manage your speed for now, lean in, get comfortable, and slowly push for faster speeds and comfort. You'll get there quickly and the concerns you have now won't be there.

Spyder Garage

A sway bar upgrade would fix a lot of that...
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    A sway bar upgrade would fix a lot of that...

Buying mine soon... need to get through the current list of accessory purchases and installations first!

Spyder Garage

I've had mine on two wheels a couple of times. Always when I was talking a turn a lot faster than I should have. Only once did the nanny kick in. That was the one time I completely different think I was going very days. The other times I was off the throttle as soon as I felt the tire raise up, knowing I was going into the turn too fast. I wanted to see what the limits were.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I think it is safe to say that all those who flipped their Spyder are not here to tell about it.
    The first Spyder to flip over that I know, via SpyderLovers, was a GS. He went into a corner that had an oil spill on it. The Spyder slid sideways through the oil, hit clean pavement and flipped. He was able to push the GS off him. Adrenaline?

The second I heard first hand from the rider. He was taking his daughter for her first ride on a RT, she was early teens. He took the corner too slow, and it just fell over. Too slow for Nanny to kick in? They got the RT pushed back up and it didn't rattle the daughter at all.

The GS would have flipped no matter what. I'm betting the RT was new and hadn't gotten the RonBar installed yet.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Culpjp View Post
    ...I completely different think I was going very days...
    My Reading Comprehension 101 course completely fails me.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I wonder how well the Police Edition Spyder is selling. Lifting the inside wheel is probably possible because of changes to Nanny specifically for the Police version.
    Branson, Missouri already has 2 of the Police Editions. They so graciously showed up at a GWRRA Missouri District rally that I attended this last May. I did get pictures of them and if I can dig them out of my Iphone, I will post them. Sadly though, they were still running the crappy Kendas on them as they had only had them a couple of weeks.
    2016 RTL , Orbital Blue