Spyder Garage

Default First Ride Today - STS SE5

Took the new scoot out for my first ride today. Followed my hubby who was on his Goldwing trike around the back roads where we live.
    Thought I was doing fine but after researching when to shift (RPM) I realized that I was shifting too soon and that is bad for the bike. (3000 RPM)
    I have no manual but tried reading a downloaded version but that was difficult. Asked a fellow on this forum and he told me the the STS SE5 should be round 4500-5000 before going into the next gear. Since I am a novice, I guess I am allowed a few mistakes.

So I need advice on shifting.....
    Do I shift from first to second when I reach a certain speed OR a certain RPM?
    and then after that the next gear at 4500 rpm???
    The do's and do nots article has info on other models.
    I appreciate your help.
    2014 Can Am Spyder STS SE5
    Ultimate seats with backrests
    Can Am hard saddlebags

Spyder Garage

Default Shifting ST 998

998 V Twin is a high rev engine. I have an ST, SE5 and shift gears any where between 5K and 6K, Really doesn't matter what the MPH. 6K is perhaps a little high, but feels OK at times. The transition between the gears will feel smooth. Hold the Throttle steady or slightly increase the speed when shifting. It won't take long for you to get the "feel".

Dennis
    2013 ST , Black

Spyder Garage

info here:
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners
    & may not be listed but has been suggested beginners use trailer mode that will adjust the shifting perimeters. Staying in the power band 4500-8000rpm does help the mpg & ethonal free gas. Enjoy & hope to see you out there
    Last edited by Bfromla; 08-30-2018 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Link

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Default DON'T STEER HER WRONG!!

Quote Originally Posted by djhobin View Post
    998 V Twin is a high rev engine. I have an ST, SE5 and shift gears any where between 5K and 6K, Really doesn't matter what the MPH. 6K is perhaps a little high, but feels OK at times. The transition between the gears will feel smooth. Hold the Throttle steady or slightly increase the speed when shifting. It won't take long for you to get the "feel".

Dennis
    Your signature line says 2014, all 2014 and above have 1330 triple, can shift at lower rpm's cause of more HP the triple has. of course reving higher rpm won't hurt and gets you there quicker. can shift around 3,500 rpm. do you have ECO mode on? helps when you see arrow ^ knowing its saying ok to shift now!
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Default All twins....

Just remember your clutch is not fully engaged under 3,400 rpm. These twins are high rpm engines and are happy there. Run up to 5,000 to shift and when cruising in any gear keep it at 4000 and up. Good to hear your out there getting acquainted with your ryde...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    Your signature line says 2014, all 2014 and above have 1330 triple, can shift at lower rpm's cause of more HP the triple has. of course reving higher rpm won't hurt and gets you there quicker. can shift around 3,500 rpm. do you have ECO mode on? helps when you see arrow ^ knowing its saying ok to shift now!

Sorry Woodaddict, only the RT's went to the 1330 motor in 2014, and then the F3's when they came along...... the ST's stayed with the V-twin 998 motor until that model was finally dropped!

The 1330 motor develops higher torque at lower revs than the V-twins, & that teamed with the Hydraulic clutch on the SE6's instead of the Centrifugal clutch the V-twin motored SE5 Spyder's ran means that the bigger engined Spyders don't need their revs to be kept up quite so much in order to minimise the potential for clutch damage & to avoid excessive fuel use - the extra torque of the 1330 helps them pull higher gears sooner & benefit fuel range that way too!

But a 2014 ST definitely WOULD have the V-twin motor and if it's got the SE5 trans, it would also have the Centrifugal clutch and so therefore WOULD benefit from getting the revs higher than about 3400 or so before shifting.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Peter Aawen;1388013]Sorry Woodaddict, only the RT's went to the 1330 motor in 2014, and then the F3's when they came along...... the ST's stayed with the V-twin 998 motor until that model was finally dropped! /QUOTE]

STAND corrected! wow, so many variations to these spyders, thought I had read enough to be informed. 995, 998, 1330, se5, se6,+ man, rt, st, sts, f3, qts of oil, HOW to check your oil, heat problems, tires, tire pressures, dess, red dust on front sprocket, what size torx or hex on oil drain bolts, .................................................. ....................................
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    ......wow, so many variations to these spyders......
    You're certainly not wrong!! And in a few more days, they're gonna release the sub $10k Spyder - that'll introduce a whoooole 'nuther range of differences & complexity to all those subjects!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyderwoman- congrats.

I had st ltd - suggest you put it in Trailer Mode as mentioned above (accessed thru mode/menu buttons) and leave it there - I found it great, won't let you change up too soon, and changes down at higher revs than non-trailer mode, which made for a better ride.

I had ridden many high revving motorcycles, pre-spyder, so the high revs were fine with me - it's a matter of opinion but anything over 3500 is fine for the clutch etc. Although others prefer 5-6000 imo there's no real need for revs to be so high... Tho it is fun when on the right roads. Lol

Spyder Garage

Default Congrats!

You can not hurt this motor. It loves to spin! This same motor is in a high performance Italian superbike! It does burn a bit of oil, so check it often, after the ride. Fantastic machine. You can smoke any wing trike, easy. As you gather miles, you will learn what mods you need. One size fits none! So, make it fit you. Seat, pegs, bars, windshield. Dial all that in, and you will love it! Start with the saddle. Comfy? If not, change it, and then figure out bars, footpegs, windshield. Once the ergonomics fit you, and a day in the saddle is comfortable, worry with bags, cup holders, phone mounts, etc. hope to see you at a rally! Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Default "Do's and Do Nots" for new Spyder owners...

If you go to the FORUM page and then to GENERAL DISCUSSION, you will find a post for "Do's and Do Nots" for new Spyder owners.
    Very helpful and discusses the shifting points for SE5.
    2014 ST SE5 LT , Black Current

Spyder Garage

I gave detailed shifting recommendations for your ST (a two cylinder) engine in a previous post.

Your not going to hurt your engine by over-revving. You could hurt it by lugging it below 3000.

Yours likes 5000 plus. You should keep it there regardless of which gear you are driving in. That fifth gear is for highway speeds over 55.

If unsure, glance at the tac for verification. Eventually you will be comfortable operating your machine by sound.

Enjoy your rides. The is a great and fun machine to drive.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red