Thread: FOBO question

Spyder Garage

Default FOBO question

I should be receiving my FOBO today. Knowing that the recommended pressures are at 20psi front and 28psi rear, what minimum/maximum pressure should be set on FOBO and stay within safe riding tire pressure?
    Any help is appreciated.
    2018 RT Limited "Blondie"

Spyder Garage

Default I run my F3L

at about 28 / 17 and usually inflate to 28.5 / 17.5 to account for a bit of deflation. I don't use FOBO but had bought it from Amazon and returned it. If you do a search on this site, you will find that people ride the fonts at 15 to 20. So you have to decide if you want a range for safety or comfort / preference. I check my tires manually every few days and set them to my exact preference 28.5/17.5. So in that context, if I used FOBO I would set the warning at +/- 1.
    2018 F3 Limited black, dark

Spyder Garage

For the fronts set the low/high about 3 PSI each way... so for your 20 PSI set for 23 and 17.
    The rear gets hot and pressure goes up a lot when riding. At 28 I had set for 32 high and the alarm went off on the freeway. The rear on a 80F day on the freeway went up to 35 PSI... I dropped my rear tire pressure to 26 and set my high to 34 PSI and low to 22 PSI for the rear.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Yes, exactly what Finless said....

Depending on ambient temp's, altitude, and time of day, your FOBO readings on the front tires will fluctuate as much a 4 PSI. The rear as much a 5+ PSI. Well, so much for those picky folks who try and keep their front tires inflated to within a 1/2 PSI of one an other. If you're headed south bound on the interstate in the afternoon your right front tire can show as much as 3 to 4 PSI higher than the left tire. That will require a lot of pit stops before one gets where one is going. The FOBO's are to help you detect an impending failure before it causes harm. The main goal here is to enjoy the ride and stay safe.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    The FOBO's are to help you detect an impending failure before it causes harm. The main goal here is to enjoy the ride and stay safe.
    Yet another vote for Finless’ and 2dogs setting ranges, and for 2dogs statement above. I have never had an alarm go off at these settings. I do have the FOBO app live in front of me on my iPhone on the F3 and I have seen the psi show as high as 22.5 (starting at 20) on a long, hot day, so you could set the high temp to 24 (or a bit higher) depending on where you are riding.

Pete
    Last edited by Peteoz; 08-30-2018 at 05:18 PM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default You noticed....

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Yet another vote for Finless’ and 2dogs setting ranges, and for 2dogs statement above. I have never had an alarm go off at these settings. I do have the FOBO app live in front of me on my iPhone on the F3 and I have seen the psi show as high as 22.5 (starting at 20) on a long, hot day, so you could set the high temp to 24 (or a bit higher) depending on where you are riding.

Pete
    I totally avoided using exact PSI figures for obvious reasons. Hint, hint, I didn't want to start another bru ha ha.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    For the fronts set the low/high about 3 PSI each way... so for your 20 PSI set for 23 and 17.
    The rear gets hot and pressure goes up a lot when riding. At 28 I had set for 32 high and the alarm went off on the freeway. The rear on a 80F day on the freeway went up to 35 PSI... I dropped my rear tire pressure to 26 and set my high to 34 PSI and low to 22 PSI for the rear.

Bob
    I have Doran Tire Monitoring system on my Spyder. We probably don't get as high of temperature as you get in California. I was on interstate 90 crossing So Dakota running 80 miles per hour at around 90 degrees and the most my rear tire went up was three pounds. It had 28 psi pressure and went to 31 psi. I was running 16 psi in my front tires and they went to 18 psi.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Default Good info...

Thanks to all. that's good info. I am in South Texas and it get hot down here........Average for the past several weeks mid 90.......
    2018 RT Limited "Blondie"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    I totally avoided using exact PSI figures for obvious reasons. Hint, hint, I didn't want to start another bru ha ha.
    A bru ha ha? On this site? Never happen, 2dogs

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    A bru ha ha? On this site? Never happen, 2dogs

Pete
    I was just stating what my tire gain was when riding in 90 degree temperature. I could careless what pressure people on here is running. I know what I am going to run in mind and careless what anyone else says. But what ever pressure you run my rear gains 3 pounds and front gain 2 pounds. That was in 90 degree temperature running 80 mile an hour for about 300 miles.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gerald37 View Post
    I was just stating what my tire gain was when riding in 90 degree temperature. I could careless what pressure people on here is running. I know what I am going to run in mind and careless what anyone else says. But what ever pressure you run my rear gains 3 pounds and front gain 2 pounds. That was in 90 degree temperature running 80 mile an hour for about 300 miles.
    Not quite sure why you have quoted me when posting this response, Gerald? Am I missing something?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gerald37 View Post
    There are many outside conditions that can influence tire PSI. I live at 4000 ft. elevation and frequently go to 300 ft. elevation. Cool mornings at higher elevations to near sea level at 100+ degrees in the afternoon is likely what causes my PSI to vary a bit more than what you experience. If I just make a 3 mile run to the post office and back there's hardly any change at all. Maybe a pound and a half if even that much. I'm going to try the white caulk test at freeway speed and see what I get. I've done it at low speed but never at high speed.
    Last edited by 2dogs; 09-01-2018 at 09:03 PM. Reason: New info.. the caulk test at high speed doesn't work. Forget it!

Spyder Garage

do they cause any concern with tire balance???
    2018 F3L , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default No...

Quote Originally Posted by jlc41 View Post
    do they cause any concern with tire balance???
    None at all.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the reply.
    2018 F3L , Blue