Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: shifting

Spyder Garage

Relatively new Spyder owner, but I have about 600 miles on mine so far and just started getting a little more aggressive on my RPM when shifting following a about 500 miles of "taking it easy" to break it in.

I go by sound as well - as I rode two wheels for years before my Spyder - but find myself usually shifting up around 4,500-5,000 - sometimes slightly higher.

It depends on the situation and whether I'm going up hills and such. I am pretty cognizant about the low end of RPMS, and also manually downshift occasionally to get to a lower gear with higher RPMs.

Spyder Garage

I’ve had my 2018 F3-S for 1 week as of tomorrow and in just putting around town and getting comfortable going 55-60, I shift based on sound, but mainly just feel. Much like a manual car. If I’m going too slow for the gear I’m in, I can feel it and I downshift. I mean you know, you can feel when you need a little more juice.
    In fact, I have since changed my digital gauge to read the temp instead of the rpms.

Spyder Garage

Not to kick a dead horse, but does anyone notice a "hesitation" or something like a flutter shift when you upshift your trans? The reason I ask is that I just went on a second test ride of two different RT Limited's. I noticed on both of them that when I upshift there is a hesitation, for lack of a better term, in between gears. I noticed it on the first one and went back and rode another one and it did the same thing. Is this hesitation present on all Spyder RT's? I was not typically babying the machines, but I wasn't going near 5000 RPM either as they both had 0 miles on them when I rode them. Thanks for any help or information on this, it IS a deal breaker for me if this is typical because when I shift I don't like any hesitation from the transmission.

Rick H.

Spyder Garage

Rick H., I have a 2018 F3L and don't have that feeling, could it be your letting up on the throttle when shifting???

Joe
    Lamonster Bright Ryder,
    Lamonster Bright Tail Lighter,
    Lamonster H4 LED Headlights,
    Lamonster LED Fog Lights,
    Lamonster Fog Light Ring Combo,
    Rox Riser
    Lamonster Driver Back Rest,
    Lamonster Frame Mount Drink Holder.
    Lamonster 15" Freedom Shield Wind Shield
    ******* USA flag
    Freecom 2 head sets
    Mirror Wedgies by Squared Away
    Motorcycle Dave's Tachform phone cradle
    Spyderpops Turnsignal LEDs
    Spyder Sisters Shade
    Spyderpops LidLocs
    Spyderpops front fender LEDs by Show Chrome
    Motorcycle Dave's Gel seat insert
    2018 F3L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jlc41 View Post
    Rick H., I have a 2018 F3L and don't have that feeling, could it be your letting up on the throttle when shifting???

Joe
    It could be Joe, but I tried hard NOT to let off the throttle when shifting on my two test rides. In all fairness I currently own a 2018 BMW K1600 with Shift Assist Pro and there of course is no lag, or hesitation, in that bike when you shift it. So perhaps I am comparing apples to oranges. I even went as far as watching some You Tube videos of a guy out in Washington State who posts a lot of Spyder videos and I honestly can't even tell when he is shifting his Spyder. Perhaps it's my technique when shifting, but it drives me crazy. Thanks for the reply though.

Rick H.

Spyder Garage

Default Rick H

Can’t compare apples to apples, but I have a 2014 RTS-SE6, not an RT L, and when out today, I paid particular attention to mine while shifting and no, there is absolutely no hesitation when shifting....when I touch the shift lever the transmission immediately shifts.
    Bruce

2014 RTS-SE6
    Tri-Axis Handlebars
    Sena BT Dongle
    Sirius Radio
    Dash bar
    Show Chrome Trunk Rack

"You know that a politician is lying if his lips are moving"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    Can’t compare apples to apples, but I have a 2014 RTS-SE6, not an RT L, and when out today, I paid particular attention to mine while shifting and no, there is absolutely no hesitation when shifting....when I touch the shift lever the transmission immediately shifts.
    Thanks Triple B. Maybe it's me.....

Rick H.

Spyder Garage

Default Shift hessitation

I've got a 2016 F3 Ltd and it will do this sometimes under certain shifting loads. If you accelerate moderately (light throttle) to around 3000 RPM it will hessitate shifting to second. If you accelerate under a more spirited load to about 4000 RPM or more it's quick and solid. Seems to be a light load situation. Be a runner and it will always shift solid.
    Life is attitude, be positive!