Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"Tire Thread??

I thought we were talking about "Tire Treads"!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Can't we all just get along......and move along! I think I have gleaned all of the useful information I can get from this thread and will not be coming back to it. I've got better things to do!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I see your signature...

But it's your ride now! That's what matters.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    "Tire Thread??

I thought we were talking about "Tire Treads"!
    I thought we were talking about TIRED THREADS
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I thought we were talking about TIRED THREADS
    hey that sounds a lot like some of my clothes...
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    So I ask you this, if someone on the Forum insists over and over and over that they feel changing your Oil isn't really necessary and then resorts to PERSONAL Attacks on those with an opposing opinion, IS THIS OK ??
    No!
    .... Should those who know better just ignore those who scream the loudest.....after all the knowledgeable ones are going to change their oil, and the ones who don't ( like a Newbie ) will just learn the Hard way ie. engine seizure.....
    In the midst of a storm those who know a better way have an obligation to share their knowledge and experience with a calm approach. Humans tend to migrate to the calm, not the storm!
    ..... I'm an X-LEO with 35 yrs. Ignoring wrongdoing wasn't an option for me then, and it still isn't now..... ( that was an Analogy ) .....Today it seems there are lots of folks whose attitude is " if it doesn't effect me personally,( because I know better ) then I'll just keep my mouth shut.....
    In your years as an LEO wrongdoing was primarily defined as violating the law. Most of the time, but not always, the violation would be clear cut, such as driving 55 in a 35 zone, or having an burnt out headlight. Judges are called upon to decide the 'iffy' cases. I was called to jury duty one time for a drunk driving conviction. The prosecutor used a preemption to dismiss me. Why? I can't say for certainty but the defense lawyer questioned me about accuracy of test methods. I think at issue was a citation for drunk driving based on a breathalyzer test showing the driver right at or just above 8.0. I'm sure the defense was going to argue that a test that close to the threshold was not reliable enough for anyone to say with absolute certainty the driver was legally drunk.

In the case of tires there is no clear cut line as to what is wrong and right, or dumb and smart. Undoubtedly dumb would include running 5 psi, or 55 psi, air pressure in any common tire on a Spyder. But at what point does the transition occur between dumb and smart? I dare say that transition is not the same for vehicle A running tire A as for vehicle B running tire A, or vehicle A running tire B. And we know the combinations run from A & A to ZZZZ & ZZZZ and every conceivable combination in between. I'll make some other comments in another post.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    IMS:

That was really interesting. I'm going to use it in my QA class if you don't mind.
    Feel free to do so!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I think a lot of the heated disagreements could be resolved amicably if those posting opinions would; a. Qualify the basis for their opinion (e.g. education, training, observation, personal experience, what their buddies believe, etc) and b. Be willing to differentiate between expertise (i.e. facts and science) vs. strongly held beliefs.

Of course if we could all do that, we wouldn't have a polarized nation, or interesting discussions.

As the French would say, 'vive la difference '

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Sounds like the grenade manufacturer needs less tribal / OJT knowledge and more valid employee training, along with an effective, properly accomplished 6S program.
    Employee training wasn't the issue. They had that handled well. It was the process variables they didn't have a good handle on. Let's take, for example, the pressing pressure to consolidate the explosive inside the grenade body. I don't remember the actual numbers, if in fact, I ever did, and they might even be classified. Let's say 50 lbs was insufficient to adequately pack the explosive tight enough that it was guaranteed to explode when detonated, and 2000 lbs would cause the explosive to explode during pressing. By experience, and undoubtedly by the munitions engineer's calculations, 1200 was determined to work. My question was then what was the impact on the final product if the pressing pressure was only 1100 lbs, or if it was 1300 lbs? What if the press had an inherent pressure variability of 200 lbs, i.e., one press might be 1000 lbs, next one 1200, and the next one 1400, and so on? They could not tell me what the impact on the final product was with that kind of variability in the process. Perhaps if the press always pressed between 1175 and 1225 99.9999% of the finished grenades would definitely explode when used.

As for the medical stuff, seems side effects and more importantly long term knowledge is something learned outside the lab. Many great products still to this day perform wonderful for what they were designed for, asbestos for example, or leaded paints, but when you add in human factors, the product gets a bad reputation. Drug side effects, I believe sometimes only come to light after real time use over time.
    And that is why expert knowledge changes with time and experience.

Tire sizes for 1936 automobiles are not all that different from autos today, but I'll bet the ideal inflation pressures have changed!

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Just for grins and giggles here are a few questions I've thought up related to tire pressure.

What is the best trade off between ease of turning by running higher pressure, and tire traction with wheels turned all the way right or left? And how does forward speed factor in?

What is the effect on wear from average speed? Will a Spyder driven at an average of 40 mph get the same, or maybe 1 1/2 times greater, tread life as one driven at an average of 70 mph?

What is the effect of road surface? How much more tread life will you get if you drive only on smooth concrete freeways versus always driving on fresh chip sealed roads?

How much does driving around curves vs. straight roads affect tread life? See this comment: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...=1#post1387820

The charts in the document linked to here, http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...=1#post1387903, show a somewhat straight line relationship between load and tire pressure. But does the straight line hold at loads less than what are shown on the chart, which is the case for Spyders, or does it curve? If it curves, then which way, up or down?

For a given Spyder weight does a larger patch contact area with a lower coefficient of friction provide more traction than a smaller contact patch with a higher coefficient of friction?

How does the stiffness of the tread and sidewall affect what pressure gives the smoothest ride? What is the effect on tread wear, both overall and across the tire?

Real reliable answers to most of these can only be derived by systematic controlled testing. Testing that would involve at a minimum dozens of vehicles and dozens of tires at almost innumerable variations of load and tire pressure. The value of the answers won't come close to the cost of obtaining them. Hence, we are stuck with relying on dozens of individual experiences, experiences that vary widely, to come to our own individual conclusions.

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hey aren't you hijacking your own thread now?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default CAR TIRE PRESSURE - How it's derived !!!

Read your last post above and I can say with some authority that 95% of it could be figured out and then posted here .... However there are Two major problems with this #1. - 99.999 % of the members would not even attempt to read the weeks or months needed to read all the DATA .......#2.- 98.999 % probably wouldn't understand it, this is very, very technical stuff ....... My thought process works more towards this example : Einstein said .... E=mc2 ..... I'll take His word on this as opposed to dedicating my life to verify it on my own...... There comes a time when it's wiser to just TRUST the source of the information. Ask yourself this ....Has there been ANY evidence/proof shown by anyone that PROVES ... that running higher than necessary tire pressures is better....... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Tire sizes for 1936 automobiles are not all that different from autos today, but I'll bet the ideal inflation pressures have changed!
    Well, actually you have that a bit backwards. About all tires then and today have in common is that they're all made out of rubber, hold air and roll down the highway. Today we have big, wide steel-belted tubeless run-flat radials in a 35 section and sticky tread rated to 120 mph and over a "g" in cornering force. My 1930 Ford Model A had skinny little Maypop tires {4.75 x 19} made with bias plies and tubes. However, inflation pressures aren't much different. The recommended inflation pressure for a 1930 Ford Model A was 35 psi per the Model A Restorers' Club, exactly same as my wife's SUV and my son's car, and actually a couple of pounds less than my own car.

Other than that your post is well taken.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

Read your last post above and I can say with some authority that 95% of it could be figured out and then posted here .... However there are Two major problems with this #1. - 99.999 % of the members would not even attempt to read the weeks or months needed to read all the DATA .......#2.- 98.999 % probably wouldn't understand it, this is very, very technical stuff ....... My thought process works more towards this example : Einstein said .... E=mc2 ..... I'll take His word on this as opposed to dedicating my life to verify it on my own...... There comes a time when it's wiser to just TRUST the source of the information. Ask yourself this ....Has there been ANY evidence/proof shown by anyone that PROVES ... that running higher than necessary tire pressures is better....... Mike
    Not trying to be a pain here but you're saying that we couldn't understand the data if it were made available. Why not make it available and see if we can understand it???

I believe in Trust but VERIFY. I don't believe in running higher than necessary pressures nor do I believe that low pressures are the answer either. I have only asked for information that shows how much pressure is necessary for a given load. So it seems what we need is the source for this info. I've been looking and haven't found anything other than the information on the side of a tire that gives max load at rated pressure . That's why I ran higher pressures in my rear tire because it was carrying a load close to 80% of the side wall rating.I'll keep looking and report.

Spyder Garage

Wink Had to tell some one

I just bought 2018 f-3 spyder pick it up from service at 9:30 am.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    Well, actually you have that a bit backwards. About all tires then and today have in common is that they're all made out of rubber, hold air and roll down the highway. Today we have big, wide steel-belted tubeless run-flat radials in a 35 section and sticky tread rated to 120 mph and over a "g" in cornering force. My 1930 Ford Model A had skinny little Maypop tires {4.75 x 19} made with bias plies and tubes. However, inflation pressures aren't much different. The recommended inflation pressure for a 1930 Ford Model A was 35 psi per the Model A Restorers' Club, exactly same as my wife's SUV and my son's car, and actually a couple of pounds less than my own car.

Other than that your post is well taken.
    You're right! But expert knowledge has changed, nevertheless! The knowledge of rubber is altogether different today than even 60 years ago. I remember my older brother bragging about how he got 16,000 miles out his Goodyear Double Eagles on his '56 Chevrolet!

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Hey aren't you hijacking your own thread now?
    Weeeelllllll, I guess kind of!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2014 Copper RTS

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder-bite View Post
    That’s awesome!

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder-bite View Post

Awesome sauce! That's great!

...what tire pressure you going to run?

Spyder Garage

LOLOLOLOL!

Are you all happy that the topic is coming full circle? Right back into the trap of discussing tire pressures, science, no science, who's smart, who's dumb.

This will die down for a short bit of time and then, BAM! Here we go again!
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

You just can't help yourself, and you don't even recognize it.

At least I recognized and apologized to the people that did not agree with my assertions and verbiage. There is no way I'm leaving this forum. Learned too much and have met too many very friendly people. Plus, someone has to see my Spyder Milky Way pictures!

I do love your self aggrandizement to compare yourself to Einstein. That is awesome.
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default APOLOGIES

Quote Originally Posted by tehrlich View Post
    You just can't help yourself, and you don't even recognize it.

At least I recognized and apologized to the people that did not agree with my assertions and verbiage. There is no way I'm leaving this forum. Learned too much and have met too many very friendly people. Plus, someone has to see my Spyder Milky Way pictures!

I do love your self aggrandizement to compare yourself to Einstein. That is awesome.
    " Kathy Griffith " apologized also ..... that wasn't believable either.............. I didn't compare myself to Einstein.... Todd perhaps you should read a post 3 or 4 times ..... BEFORE putting fingers on the keyboard. That would help dispel my belief that 1/2 the stuff you post in general and most of the stuff about me is just plain MADE-UP. ......your welcome .... Mike