Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    They know who they are. But it doesn't hurt any of us to be reminded once in awhile to keep posts civil. I think the real reason I started this thread is I was pissed that an otherwise informative and worthwhile discussion that deserved to be kept alive got yanked due to uncivil commenting.
    It's too bad when that happens. I guess it's more efficient and fair than the moderator constantly having to exercise judgment about individual posts within a thread.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

1. Responding to a post that gets your dander up is a choice, you don’t HAVE to. Try to let it go and move on.

2. After one or two posts where it’s obvious there won’t be agreement just agree to disagree and move on.

Just my .02 cents worth and I’m not saying I haven’t violated these a time or two.
    2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    fjray, that really doesn’t read well. An apology shouldn’t include a “justification”, and most certainly shouldn’t be issuing a further “challenge”.

Pete
    Have to agree with you Pete! In these cases I apply the "ignore" button liberally. If someone attacks, I turn them off!
    Last edited by Pirate looks at --; 08-29-2018 at 09:30 AM.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    It's too bad when that happens. I guess it's more efficient and fair than the moderator constantly having to exercise judgment about individual posts within a thread.
    Yes and no. As I mentioned, punish all for a few persons actions? Granted that is easier to do in a busy day, however, in retrospect, it is also the proverbial flushing the baby with the drain water. Both the good and bad are discarded. Maybe the babies simply need to be sent to time out...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Yes and no. As I mentioned, punish all for a few persons actions? Granted that is easier to do in a busy day, however, in retrospect, it is also the proverbial flushing the baby with the drain water. Both the good and bad are discarded. Maybe the babies simply need to be sent to time out...
    No matter what the moderator does, he won't be able to satisfy everyone. I'm sure he has better things to do than get involved in endless and pointless disputes.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wilpir View Post
    There's an "Ignore Button" never new that or even know where it is! Interesting...
    Yep, my ignore list is long and getting longer. On the left margin click on the persons screen name. Then click on view profile, then add to ignore list! That really makes this forum much more enjoyable!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They know who they are. But it doesn't hurt any of us to be reminded once in awhile to keep posts civil. I think the real reason I started this thread is I was pissed that an otherwise informative and worthwhile discussion that deserved to be kept alive got yanked due to uncivil commenting.
    Actually, the perpetrators may not 'know who they are'.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Question Ignore list

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Yep, my ignore list is long and getting longer. On the left margin click on the persons screen name. Then click on view profile, then add to ignore list! That really makes this forum much more enjoyable!
    +1

But I've been known to " PEEK " ------ mostly to prove to myself that putting trolls on the " ignore list " was the right thing to do. It almost always was.

This forum is a good place and threads that go south need to be "Moderated".

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    +1

But I've been known to " PEEK " ------ mostly to prove to myself that putting trolls on the " ignore list " was the right thing to do. It almost always was.

This forum is a good place and threads that go south need to be "Moderated".

Lew L
    Or if someone who is not on your ignore "quotes" a troll you are confronted with their spew! I agree Lew, there is very little moderation on this Bored, and when it happens, it is justified!

Spyder Garage

That's why I never post anything controversial...………………………………

Spyder Garage

For what it's worth. A few things I am now doing...

There are a couple "pot stirrers," that's all they do--really. I no longer reply to their threads. Period. I used to reply just to chide them. They are who they are, and they will do what they do. Its up to the "moderator" to keep them or eventually ban them. Most of the time--their threads get killed.

I still like to read most threads. It gives a good insight into what's going on "today."

I have been careful about the "ignore" button. I had one person on ignore for about two months. It appears they have "mellowed" a bit. I now have them back on line. I like to read what most everyone has to say. I just did not like being "attacked" for everything I posted.

I do not agree with what everyone says. Now...I just let it go and avoid getting into "pissing" matches. Not worth getting high blood pressure over.

Unfortunately, the activity seems way down on the site. One or two active pages a day. Seems less are posting on the site. Some days I post less than five times and some days even less. Hope you folks are enjoying the break. I note that the interest level seems to run in cycles. When they introduce the "new" Spyder--let's see what happens.

Starting to look like the competitive site that was up an running for a couple months. Hope this is not an omen.

Last edited by ARtraveler; 08-30-2018 at 01:13 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    That's why I never post anything controversial...………………………………

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    For what it's worth. A few things I am now doing...

There are a couple "pot stirrers," that's all they do--really. I no longer reply to their threads. Period. I used to reply just to chide them. They are who they are, and they will do what they do. Its up to the "moderator" to keep them or eventually ban them. Most of the time--their threads get killed.

I still like to read most threads. It gives a good insight into what's going on "today."

I have been careful about the "ignore" button. I had one on for about two months. It appears they have "mellowed" a bit. I now have them back on. I like to read what most everyone has to say. I just did not like being "attacked" for everything I posted.

I do not agree with what everyone says. Now...I just let it go and avoid getting into "pissing" matches. Not worth getting high blood pressure over.

Unfortunately, the activity is way down on the site. One or two active pages a day. Seems less and less are on the site. Some days I post less than five times and some days even less. Hope you folks are enjoying the break.

Starting to look like the competitive site that was up an running for a couple months. Hope this is not an omen.

Great stuff AK! If people would "ignore" with the ignore button, or just completely ignore these people, they will get bored and go spread their filth somewhere else! What gets them off is our "Reaction" to their posts. I have chosen to "Respond" to their material by not reading it because of the source, and not posting in their threads and putting them on the ignore list, as what they have to offer does not warrant reading! If we can all do this in our own way, they will go away! I agree that most of they know who they are and they take great pleasure in what they do.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    That's why I never post anything of value...………………………………

Great post!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Written word

A friend of mine says you Can Not tell emotion or intent in the written word.
    I think if you feel you have to have the last word, you may find yourself very busy trying to spar with some people.
    Monique,
    2016 F3t pearl white
    Ultimate driver back rest
    12v power outlet for batt. tender
    Doc Humphries' vibration damper
    factory floorboards
    added topcase

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I probably shouldn't post again but I just feel a need to share a few things I learned in 22 years in Quality Assurance and contractor oversight.

No expert knowledge or opinion is infallible. That does not mean expert knowledge and opinion is not valid, because most of the time it is. It just isn't the ultimate. I've made this comment to my doctors several times. "Every person in the food and medical industry who is knowledgeable about diet and nutrition shares a common characteristic with every teacher of every religion in the world. There isn't a single one of them who has a lock on the truth!" As we know, expert opinions often conflict. My GPs for years prescribed Actos for me for diabetes. I was told it was good drug to take as it had few, if any, side effects. A few weeks ago my current GP had me drop it and change to another med in an attempt to get my blood glucose numbers to come down. I visited with my heart doctor the other day and I mentioned about dropping Actos. "That's good," he said. "Actos is a bad actor for the heart." So, did I receive advice based on new science, or is this a case of differing expert opinions?

Experts don't always know the answer. A number of years ago I was doing a QA audit of one of the Army Ammunition Plants. They were making grenades that go into artillery rounds. These are kind of like a small cup with explosive pressed into it. I asked the management team a few questions about the filling and pressing operation.
    "What is the effect of pressure variation during the pressing process?" Their answer, "We don't know."
    "What is the effect of ambient temperature changes during pressing?" "We don't know."
    "What is the effect of speed differences of the plunger during pressing?" "We don't know."
    "What is the effect of varying the dwell time of the plunger at the bottom of the pressing stroke?" "We don't know."
    I responded with this, "You guys have been pounding powder for 40 years and you really don't know what it is you are doing!" Were they making junk all this time? No. But they did have a lot of duds and did not know why. These were expert ammunition makers having been doing it since during World War II, and still they did not have all the answers.

During my QA career I came up with this slogan: QAQAQA, The Questioning Approach of Quality Assurance Leads to the Quintessential Answer. I did not need to know the answer beforehand in order the ask the question. I always said one of three things would result whenever I questioned an engineer, production manager, or even a line worker. 1) I learned something; or 2) the person I was questioning would reevaluate their process and make changes to improve it; or 3) in the process of defending the way they did things they reaffirmed the correctness of what they were doing.

Somewhere I read the following bit of wisdom; "The greatest impediment to progress is already having the answer!" Never hesitate to question what anyone says on this forum, but do it in a civil respectful manner. We will all learn more. And once in awhile, even, we may realize we were wrong. I have.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 08-29-2018 at 10:19 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Hope You'reall happy now

IMS the above was a pleasant read but imho opinion it was apples to oranges and mostly it was .... well it could be, but maybe not, etc..... So I ask you this, if someone on the Forum insists over and over and over that they feel changing your Oil isn't really necessary and then resorts to PERSONAL Attacks on those with an opposing opinion, IS THIS OK ?? .... Should those who know better just ignore those who scream the loudest.....after all the knowledgeable ones are going to change their oil, and the ones who don't ( like a Newbie ) will just learn the Hard way ie. engine seizure..... ( and this did occur on this Forum by a member who has since left ) ..... I'm an X-LEO with 35 yrs. Ignoring wrongdoing wasn't an option for me then, and it still isn't now..... ( that was an Analogy ) .....Today it seems there are lots of folks whose attitude is " if it doesn't effect me personally,( because I know better ) then I'll just keep my mouth shut..... Thank you for starting this Thread maybe some people will re-think what they have to say and the way they say it........ jmho .....Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-30-2018 at 02:04 AM.

Spyder Garage

I probably shouldn't post again but I just feel a need to share a few things I learned in 22 years in Quality Assurance and contractor oversight.

No expert knowledge or opinion is infallible. That does not mean expert knowledge and opinion is not valid, because most of the time it is. It just isn't the ultimate. I've made this comment to my doctors several times. "Every person in the food and medical industry who is knowledgeable about diet and nutrition shares a common characteristic with every teacher of every religion in the world. There isn't a single one of them who has a lock on the truth!" As we know, expert opinions often conflict. My GPs for years prescribed Actos for me for diabetes. I was told it was good drug to take as it had few, if any, side effects. A few weeks ago my current GP had me drop it and change to another med in an attempt to get my blood glucose numbers to come down. I visited with my heart doctor the other day and I mentioned about dropping Actos. "That's good," he said. "Actos is a bad actor for the heart." So, did I receive advice based on new science, or is this a case of differing expert opinions?

Experts don't always know the answer. A number of years ago I was doing a QA audit of one of the Army Ammunition Plants. They were making grenades that go into artillery rounds. These are kind of like a small cup with explosive pressed into it. I asked the management team a few questions about the filling and pressing operation.
    "What is the effect of pressure variation during the pressing process?" Their answer, "We don't know."
    "What is the effect of ambient temperature changes during pressing?" "We don't know."
    "What is the effect of speed differences of the plunger during pressing?" "We don't know."
    "What is the effect of varying the dwell time of the plunger at the bottom of the pressing stroke?" "We don't know."
    I responded with this, "You guys have been pounding powder for 40 years and you really don't know what it is you are doing!" Were they making junk all this time? No. But they did have a lot of duds and did not know why. These were expert ammunition makers having been doing it since during World War II, and still they did not have all the answers.

During my QA career I came up with this slogan: QAQAQA, The Questioning Approach of Quality Assurance Leads to the Quintessential Answer. I did not need to know the answer beforehand in order the ask the question. I always said one of three things would result whenever I questioned an engineer, production manager, or even a line worker. 1) I learned something; or 2) the person I was questioning would reevaluate their process and make changes to improve it; or 3) in the process of defending the way they did things they reaffirmed the correctness of what they were doing.

Somewhere I read the following bit of wisdom; "The greatest impediment to progress is already having the answer!" Never hesitate to question what anyone says on this forum, but do it in a civil respectful manner. We will all learn more. And once in awhile, even, we may realize we were wrong. I have.
    Sounds like the grenade manufacturer needs less tribal / OJT knowledge and more valid employee training, along with an effective, properly accomplished 6S program.

As for the medical stuff, seems side effects and more importantly long term knowledge is something learned outside the lab. Many great products still to this day perform wonderful for what they were designed for, asbestos for example, or leaded paints, but when you add in human factors, the product gets a bad reputation. Drug side effects, I believe sometimes only come to light after real time use over time.

As for relating to this topic, and the one that was removed, people are people, the rules are posted, and while I do not agree in mass punishment, I have witnessed some folks here get personal time outs with short term bans vs deleting an entire topic if it had value to others.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I hope you guys are all happy now that your sniping at each other and got the tire thread killed! Disagreements are fine until they turn into personal attacks. Remember that next time!
    What tire thread got killed?

I just posted on the recent Altimax thread.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

IMS:

That was really interesting. I'm going to use it in my QA class if you don't mind.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think a lot of the heated disagreements could be resolved amicably if those posting opinions would; a. Qualify the basis for their opinion (e.g. education, training, observation, personal experience, what their buddies believe, etc) and b. Be willing to differentiate between expertise (i.e. facts and science) vs. strongly held beliefs.

Of course if we could all do that, we wouldn't have a polarized nation, or interesting discussions.

As the French would say, 'vive la difference '
    Last edited by UtahPete; 08-30-2018 at 07:24 AM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wilpir View Post
    There's an "Ignore Button" never new that or even know where it is! Interesting...
    yes there is, its called a Off Button. Just look around and you'll find it. If it's on your I phone it called the Ignore button.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Arguing over tires?......seriously?
    The threads on tires have never devolved into a fight.
    If I was at a dinner party and we talked about tires the conversation would sound like a tire thread.
    My "arguement" was traction and only requested citations that show its not being lost.
    Until I read this thread I didn't know a tire thread was deleted.....what ever happened to the ignore button?