Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default What size auto tires is everyone running?

I have read several threads regarding tires and many of you are running car tires. I see a lot of people throwing out the brands they are running but not the sizes they are running. I have also noticed it is no secret that the 165/55r15 size is very limited across the brands. I have found a few more choices at the 165/60r15 size and again a couple more at 165/65r15. In addition to being curious what others are using I am also curious about the point in which the Spyder VSS will notice the revolution difference between the rear and the front tires if the standard 225/50r15 is used on the rear but a larger diameter on the front. Using a tire comparison calculator I am showing a difference of 26 revolutions per mile between the 165/55 and the 165/60 front tires. Has anyone experienced any issue, or is everyone also compensating with a different size rear tire?

Also does anyone have size and brand suggestions for the 14 inch Spyder rims? My GF's Spyder has the smaller rims mounted.

Spyder Garage

Uh oh, here we go again.....

My Bookmarks section under Spyder has 35 bookmarks on tires alone. There are literally dozens of threads about car tires (and tire pressures), many of which deteriorate into bickering among those that know and those that think they know. I suggest you search a little more, make your own determination about who the Forum experts on tires are (it will become clear as you read the posts) and consider their advice.
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue

Spyder Garage

Unhappy NO tire pressure questions!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Docster View Post

My Bookmarks section under Spyder has 35 bookmarks on tires alone. There are literally dozens of threads about car tires (and tire pressures), many of which deteriorate into bickering among those that know and those that think they know. I suggest you search a little more, make your own determination about who the Forum experts on tires are (it will become clear as you read the posts) and consider their advice.

Please don't ask about tire pressure !!!!!!! Two other threads have gotten a bit nasty and should be removed.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Regarding tire size

Here is how I found the correct size auto tires for my Spyder

First get some string or twine, jack up the front tire left or right
    wrap the string around your tire and mark the string with a black sharpie
    the black mark should be at the point where the string wrapped around the tire
    meets the end of the string.
    lay it out on a table and with a measuring tape measure the length.
    now measure the width of the tread and the width of the cross section the easy way
    to do that is to get 2 4X4 about 40 in. long if you don't have 2 squares put one on each side
    and touching the sidewall of the inside and outside of the tire, measure the distance between
    them. Armed with those measurements go to the tire store and start measuring tires
    till you find the size that closest matches what you have, that is all there is to it....
    Now go out and find your car tires
    Ride Save
    Dave

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    Please don't ask about tire pressure !!!!!!! Two other threads have gotten a bit nasty and should be removed.
    I didn't ask anything about pressure. I asked about size considering most manufacturers do not offer tires in the size 165/55r15. I see people talk about their Yokohama, Kumho, Federal, etc I am asking the SIZE of the tires. I have read enough about tire pressure I have my own opinion of what I wish to try when I do get a set of car tires for my Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Is everyone so afraid of tires they cannot say "hey CJ I'm running a 165/60r15" or whatever it is you have on your Spyder? I don't need twine to figure the diameter. I also asked if slight variances in diameter affect the Spyder's safety systems. Twine won't answer that question either. I'm not looking to start a p*ssing contest, just asking what size tires you guys are running

Spyder Garage

I'm not at home and can't remember, but tomorrow I will be more than happy to tell you what is on my 2015 RT. I do have Federals on front and General on the rear.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TIRE SIZE

Quote Originally Posted by CJ.RamMan View Post
    I have read several threads regarding tires and many of you are running car tires. I see a lot of people throwing out the brands they are running but not the sizes they are running. I have also noticed it is no secret that the 165/55r15 size is very limited across the brands. I have found a few more choices at the 165/60r15 size and again a couple more at 165/65r15. In addition to being curious what others are using I am also curious about the point in which the Spyder VSS will notice the revolution difference between the rear and the front tires if the standard 225/50r15 is used on the rear but a larger diameter on the front. Using a tire comparison calculator I am showing a difference of 26 revolutions per mile between the 165/55 and the 165/60 front tires. Has anyone experienced any issue, or is everyone also compensating with a different size rear tire?

Also does anyone have size and brand suggestions for the 14 inch Spyder rims? My GF's Spyder has the smaller rims mounted.
    IMHO , the Vredestein Quatrac 5 is the best performing tire sold to day ..... and because they cater to the European market ( heavily ) they have the best selection of tires ....IN SIZES TO FIT OUR SPYDERS ....visit TireRack OR Vulcan tire .... I think Simple tire still markets them also ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    IMHO , the Vredestein Quatrac 5 is the best performing tire sold to day ..... and because they cater to the European market ( heavily ) they have the best selection of tires ....IN SIZES TO FIT OUR SPYDERS ....visit TireRack OR Vulcan tire .... I think Simple tire still markets them also ....... Mike
    Thank you for the reply. I searched the Vulcan tire site but cannot locate a 165/55r15. Does a slightly larger diameter affect the VSS system? I did not know how much "play" they build into the system. Didn't want the system to think I am constantly losing traction.

Spyder Garage

Default Tirre Sizes

I am running the General Altimax RT 43 ( size: 215/60 R15) on the rear.

And on the fronts I am running Continental Contiprocontact ( Size 165/60 R15).

I have a 2014 RTS-SE6 .

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    I am running the General Altimax RT 43 ( size: 215/60 R15) on the rear.

And on the fronts I am running Continental Contiprocontact ( Size 165/60 R15).

I have a 2014 RTS-SE6 .

Deanna
    Deanna, are you running that size rear tire to compensate for the larger diameter fronts?

Spyder Garage

Deanna, are you running that size rear tire to compensate for the larger diameter fronts?
    Yes, I am.
    The front tires have a fender support, so I have to run the 165/60R15.

If I ran a 170/60R15 (in the front) the screws( fender support screws) would have cut into the tires. That is why I went with the 165/60 R15. I had a can am dealer install them.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, I am.

If I ran a 170/60R15 (in the front) the screws( fender support screws) would have cut into the tires. That is why I went with the 165/60 R15. I had a can am dealer install them.

Deanna
    What about a 175/55R15???????
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Default Computer recognizes nothing

Really ok 175/55/15 on front 215/60/15 on back computer on my Spyder must be blind vss never engaged I believe your over thinking it😁

Spyder Garage

Dosent matter period

Spyder Garage

I have:

Rear: Yokohama S: 205/ 55R15

Front: Yokohama Avid S34: 175/ 55R15

They have pressurized air in them.

IMG_2059.jpg

IMG_2766.jpg
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

On the 2014 RT we are running -
    Front = Kuhmo Solus KH16 in 175/55R15 currently has 35,735 miles with 4/32 tread left
    Rear = Michelin Premier A in 205/60R15

On our 2015 F3s we are running -
    Front = Vredesten Quatrac 5 in 175/55R15
    Rear = Yohohama S Drive in 205/55R15

The Kuhmo has provided good tread live, but the Vredesten has handled better. I will be going to them for the RT next.
    The Michelin has been outstanding on the RT rear and will stay with them for the RT.
    The Yohohama has been great on the F3, but will try a Vredesten next based on how well they handle on the front.

Size has not made a difference as far as the computer on the Spyder
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Default YOUR TIRE SIZE

Yes, I am.

Deanna
    Nope 777 your mis-taken ....I bought those tires from you ..... they 175/65-15 General Altimax RT43 and they work great on my 2014 RT with basic fenders that I shimmed with washers .....your welcome ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default tires size difference

Thank you for the reply. I searched the Vulcan tire site but cannot locate a 165/55r15. Does a slightly larger diameter affect the VSS system? I did not know how much "play" they build into the system. Didn't want the system to think I am constantly losing traction.
    To the best on my recollection this has not occurred with any Spyders ....... Yes the BRP system can detect the difference - however the Spyders are very, very limited in what sizes are available so a mis-match large enough to triiger a code isn't possible IMHO ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I've written this on several other tire threads. If you go with wider tires, just snip off the excess 1/4 inch fender bolt length and you will not have a problem. No need to try to shim the fenders. Easy fix
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLL NOW THAT YOU MENTION IT

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I've written this on several other tire threads. If you go with wider tires, just snip off the excess 1/4 inch fender bolt length and you will not have a problem. No need to try to shim the fenders. Easy fix
    If you posted this in response to my use of washers ........the Basic and the New style fenders are different. There is No excess fender bolt length ( 1/4 in. or otherwise ) to snip off, ( on any part of a Basic fender ) that would solve the problem ....... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-29-2018 at 04:09 AM.

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

2013 rt-s
    175x55R15 vredstein front
    225x50r15 kumho rear
    no rubbing issues, have the lamont tire slop in the tires, road force balanced, no vibes.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

14" rims Bridgestone Potenza in stock size.

15" fronts Federal Formoza or 595 EVO in stock size. Rear Tire General Altimax RT43 in 215/60r15 size oth bikes.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Docster View Post
    Not unless YOU take it there.

Very specific and important questions were asked......and anyone who can't stick to answering what he asked without going off on a tangent.......should just not reply at all.

Spyder Garage

Default Well Said

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Not unless YOU take it there.

Very specific and important questions were asked......and anyone who can't stick to answering what he asked without going off on a tangent.......should just not reply at all.

Very well said EasyRider! I thought this was a site for all to asked questions, get advice and meet other Spyderlovers, no matter how many time the question has been asked. If you don't want to answer simply move on to the next topic.