Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Alternate CB Radio Idea

I found an app called Two Way that is as simple as ever. You punch in a number which becomes the channel your group uses. You pair your BT headset to the phone and you need to be able to touch the big single button and when you do you can talk like you would if using a CB.

Problems include mounting the phone so you can touch it. Being able to touch it with gloved fingers (especially in winter) and the 2018's smartphone usage which doesn't have Two Way app in the BRP Connect. (yet) I've emailed BRP to ask them to look into it but I'm not holding my breath.

Wondering if anyone is using or has used this?

2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

interesting...will look at this...thanks

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

No but I would like to try it. I am using the Sena two way dongle and a hand held cb and while it works it is bulky and cumbersome.
    Last edited by pegasus1300; 08-28-2018 at 04:30 PM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    Problems include mounting the phone so you can touch it. Being able to touch it with gloved fingers (especially in winter) and the 2018's smartphone usage which doesn't have Two Way app in the BRP Connect.
    Those aren't the only problems. You need one of the three following connections to use it: 1) a cell phone data connection which is problematic when you get out into the open countryside away from metropolitan areas; 2) a WiFi connection to a WiFi network, which extends only a few hundred feet at most from a fixed point; or 3) WiFi Direct capable of connecting multiple WiFi Direct enabled phones, which doesn't include older phones and is distance limited to a few hundred feet.

If all you need is an easy way to communicate with one or two other people in a grocery store or museum, go for it. But out on the open road I'm skeptical of it's usefulness. If it weren't for cost issues old fashioned CB would still be the best system!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes you do need cell service and anyone with a smartphone will have that so I don't quite get what the problem is. There are other "Walkie-Talkie" apps like Voxer and Online Walkie Talkie Pro etc. what I'm getting at is something that groups can use to communicate as our bluetooth headsets are unable to work the way we need. Therefore are not being used. What would really be good is there was a CB radio that had bluetooth like the Motorola MU350 FRS radio.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Yes you do need cell service and anyone with a smartphone will have that so I don't quite get what the problem is. There are other "Walkie-Talkie" apps like Voxer and Online Walkie Talkie Pro etc. what I'm getting at is something that groups can use to communicate as our bluetooth headsets are unable to work the way we need. Therefore are not being used. What would really be good is there was a CB radio that had bluetooth like the Motorola MU350 FRS radio.
    I wonder how much widespread traveling you've done! Having a smartphone is no guarantee you have cell service. You have to be within a coverage area of a cell tower and there is an awful lot of the US countryside that doesn't have that. Reliable cell service is limited to about 5 to 10 miles from a tower.

That FRS radio looks like a really good way to go. At a $100+ for every pair of radios you could probably talk all your buddies into getting one! The advertised range is fantastic. In a group ride the hands free VOX quite possibly would be sufficient! Now, that is one alternative to a CB I would have no problems endorsing! In fact, I've wondered for several years why FRS hasn't been adopted for group riding.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well, I'm not getting out as much as I used to and I do know cell service is iffy in many area of the west.

Hows about this - Verizon said it expects to have 3.5 GHz Citizens Broadband Radio Services (CBRS)-capable devices, including smartphones, entering its lineup by the end of this year. (This is for the end of the 2018 year)

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/verizon-we-ll-have-cbrs-3-5-ghz-devices-by-end-2018
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Hows about this - Verizon said it expects to have 3.5 GHz Citizens Broadband Radio Services (CBRS)-capable devices, including smartphones, entering its lineup by the end of this year. (This is for the end of the 2018 year)

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/verizon-we-ll-have-cbrs-3-5-ghz-devices-by-end-2018
    This is the first I've heard about that. I didn't glean much from the article. My big concern is if it uses 3.5 GHz for transmission between devices it'll be significantly more range limited than even your ordinary type cordless landline phone handset which runs on 2.4 GHz. FRS uses channels in the 460 MHz range. The higher the frequency the shorter the transmit distance.

2014 Copper RTS