Thread: New guy!

Spyder Garage

Default New guy!

Thanks for letting me join. Not a Spyder owner yet, yet being the important word . I have some questions and this seemed like the best place to get answers. We currently ride a 96 Goldwing SE with a Voyager kit on it. Looking to upgrade. Trying to decide between another wing or a Spyder. Price is the first thing that jumps out at me. Why do I see so many late model Can am's with less than 5 to 10 thousand miles on them selling for such good prices? Are there problems? I have read to avoid the 13's because of heat issues, is this a problem with the 2010 thru 2012 models? I just know I can get a 2012 Spyder RT with less than 10,000 miles on it for less than I can a 2003 Goldwing trike with 50,000 miles. Thanks for any info you can help me with. The dealers really are not much help.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch56 View Post
    Thanks for letting me join. Not a Spyder owner yet, yet being the important word . I have some questions and this seemed like the best place to get answers. We currently ride a 96 Goldwing SE with a Voyager kit on it. Looking to upgrade. Trying to decide between another wing or a Spyder. Price is the first thing that jumps out at me. Why do I see so many late model Can am's with less than 5 to 10 thousand miles on them selling for such good prices? Are there problems? I have read to avoid the 13's because of heat issues, is this a problem with the 2010 thru 2012 models? I just know I can get a 2012 Spyder RT with less than 10,000 miles on it for less than I can a 2003 Goldwing trike with 50,000 miles. Thanks for any info you can help me with. The dealers really are not much help.
    Not as many Spyders as Wings. Hence the price difference for used. The heat issues that you refer to were fixed and are no longer a problem for the 2013's.

You will have to make the decision for yourself. I have owned five assorted Spyders, have over 140,000 assorted miles on the bunch. Have never had mechanical issues with any of the five. Would I buy them again--YES.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You've come to the right place!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Same reason I can find two and three year old HD's with less than 3000 miles on them for half the price of a new one. Many were impulse purchases and spend more time in the garage than being ridden. I walk farther each year than many people ride their bikes. Can't speak for the heat issue as we have the 1330 engine in our 2015 and heat hasn't been a problem. I think the Wing will always be used as the benchmark for touring bikes or trikes. Great bikes with a great record and everything is going to be compared to the Wing. If Wings are in more demand in your area than the Spyder then the Spyder will be priced less just to move them.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

to answer your BIG question. It is demographics. Geezers, like me, buy the nice Spyder, maybe because we don't like
    holding up our two wheeler at stop lights. THEN..the limitation that moved us into a Spyder, escalates to where we can't ride
    anything. Even a stable, exciting, fun platform like the Spyder. So we give 'em away.
    The guy that let me test sit his 2013 RT, advertised it a couple weeks ago, with 2400miles on the clock. So for him, the IDEA
    of owning one, wasn't connected to actually riding one. Go figure.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SPYDER VS. WING

Quote Originally Posted by 4 MARIE View Post
    to answer your BIG question. It is demographics. Geezers, like me, buy the nice Spyder, maybe because we don't like
    holding up our two wheeler at stop lights. THEN..the limitation that moved us into a Spyder, escalates to where we can't ride
    anything. Even a stable, exciting, fun platform like the Spyder. So we give 'em away.
    The guy that let me test sit his 2013 RT, advertised it a couple weeks ago, with 2400miles on the clock. So for him, the IDEA
    of owning one, wasn't connected to actually riding one. Go figure.
    .......... for me there was no choice , I HAD to get three wheels ....The normal trike I considered to be a DEATH machine. I rode my wings like the kids do with their Crotch rockets ..... The handling difference between conventional trike and Spyders is HUGH .... My first Spyder had the manual ....my next two were Semi-auto's , to me there is no contest SE trans of nothing, my manual shifting days ( ala Isle of Mann ) are long gone now. PS ther difference between the V-twin and the 1330 is also HUGH , plus BRP NO longer makes the V-twin in any Spyder in their line up - this tells you something ....... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Harley's suffer from the same.
    Go to almost any dealer and you'll find bikes that have literally been stored in the garage.
    In some cases, the buyer obtained before getting endorsement and never passed the test; was an impulse buy; found out biking was not "glamorous"; no one to ride with; found they were too nervous in traffic or on the Interstate. The list of reasons is endless.

But in many cases, their lose, is your gain.

After 50 years of 2 wheels and mostly Harley, I made the change and have absolutely no regrets.

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Default 2012 here

with our 2012 r-t s-m 5 , no problems with it , just finished a short run last Saturday around 200 miles and had spotty rain , I do have mine up for sale , but seems every person looking at it goes with a different model , not that there is something wrong with the 2012 in the i.d. photo --- I think a lot has to do with the person buying the cycle , they will be expecting one thing and not knowing what that one thing will be , so they go for the one with tons of buttons and bells , do a lot of research , look at the cycle you are thinking of , come back here and search the forums for things to look out for > as in a 2015 r-t s-e 5 might studder in take off , look in the forums for the answer or what it might be ... ( and yeah I am selling mine for a newer model --------> with more buttons and bells the wife wants more control from the back rider position I am sure of the reason ... )

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Good luck on your shopping there is a lot to chose from!

Dont be afraid to buy from a distance and use Uship.com or others to pick it up and deliver it to you.

As to the 2013, and I will assume that you are talking about the RT models,I have owned mine for over 25,000 happy miles. I bought it used, two years old from a Cadillac / Indian dealer in Florida, had Uship bring it to Ohio, and took it to the dealer for inspection. They resolved a few issues that were wrong but off I went. Nothing but a dash light, and an air compressor issue in three years.

As to the heat issue, I ryde in summer parades and I am much cooler than the other guys, but the 2014 and up Spyders are cooler than my right foot, but my highway pegs resolve that.

A short course on the 998 vs. the 1330, and most of this is an opinion, so take it for what it is worth. The 1330 offers 1/3 of the maintenance, as in oil changes. The 1330 offers 30% better MPG, most likely due to the 6th gear, as I actually get worse mileage on the highway. However, I believe that my 998 is quicker off the line and you can save yourself a lot of money by buying old reliable. Also, with the 998 you will burn about a quart of oil between oil changes, the 1330 does not need oil between 10,000 mile oil changes.

Point: Don't be afraid of the 998 or the 2013. The heat on the right foot is real with all RT models through 2013, just install highway pegs and a shield, all good.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As I have said before, I own and ride a '02 Wing, triked in '05 with a Motor Trike kit. I have had three Spyders, presently a '17 RT-S. My Wing runs and handles great, so does Mr. White. The three cylinder Spyders are much better than the two cylinder models. If you buy a used machine, consider a 2014 or newer with the three cylinders. Tire pressure is important for a nice ride. Enjoy.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Very Active Member SpyderConvert's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Comparison of Gold Wing trike and CanAm Spyder

Interesting video.

2015 RTL, BajaRon Swaybar, LaMonster LED Headlights and Foglights, LaMonster Spydercuff, LaMonster LED mirror wrap, Magic Mirrors, HMT Brake Light
    2015 RT Ltd. , $" extension Black

Spyder Garage

Default Only so much blood in a turnip

Totally understand on the availability of funds for extracurricular activities. This led me to purchase my 2012 RTL last August with only 5500 miles. 1 year later I have 11,xxx miles. I grew up on 2-cycle dirt bikes and the high rev of the 998 is just normal to me. Plus when you keep it in the power band she just purrrrs like a kitten. We (wife and I) ride the foot hills of the Ozarks all the time. She eats the road and rides the rails around the curves. (after the Bajaron sway bar, which is a must). When hitting the interstates, she Cadillac's (with the F4 tall wide windshield which eliminated the wind buffeting for us). What ever you get, save $$$ for mods and farkles.

Phil

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Both our bikes 2011 RT and 2013 ST get a bit warm but have yet to consider it a REAL problem.. Good Luck..

Spyder Garage

We have a 2011 RT. It now has 46000 + on it. Get the oil changed every 5500 miles and the plugs changed every 2 yrs. Only have had 1 limp mode hit me and that was my fault. But all and all we would never go back to a goldwing. Trike or 2 wheels. Love our RT. Rides as good as our Chrysler 300. Just look around and take some test rides. See what you like the best. Happy Trails on what ever you get. Welcome to the gang.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The thing about the Spyder is because of the stable platform, many people that would never consider a "motorcycle" will find the "safety factor" of that platform very attractive. They test drive one, and buy it, and they ryde for a few weeks, and then they go back to what they were doing before they bought it. In short the Spyder didn't bite them! 1500 miles and it's for sale!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the input so far. Some questions answered. I have rode one but it has been several years, the reverse is impressive. The problem was the dealer put a guy on a scooter in front of us and we had to follow him. Never left town so didn't see over 40 mph and no curves. Liked the short ride but come on, that was a bit disappointing. I guess my biggest concerns were the heat issues, and dependability of the 998. Most of the problems I have read about seem to be caused by the owners doing things they shouldn't, to fast around corners, not letting the computer do all it needs to do before trying something else, and maybe some lack of maintenance. I've seen some front tire wear problems, I'm sure that has a lot to do with alignment. Goldwing's are not the best in this area either. I watched the video and I still think the Spyder has more luggage room. Been told the Spyder rides smoother, can't say much for that as I didn't have a comparison at the time. Probably don't get the handlebar shakes that the Goldwing trike gets at the slower speeds. Hey I'm learning though, thanks to you guys!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the input so far. Some questions answered. I have rode one but it has been several years, the reverse is impressive. The problem was the dealer put a guy on a scooter in front of us and we had to follow him. Never left town so didn't see over 40 mph and no curves. Liked the short ride but come on, that was a bit disappointing. I guess my biggest concerns were the heat issues, and dependability of the 998. Most of the problems I have read about seem to be caused by the owners doing things they shouldn't, to fast around corners, not letting the computer do all it needs to do before trying something else, and maybe some lack of maintenance. I've seen some front tire wear problems, I'm sure that has a lot to do with alignment. Goldwing's are not the best in this area either. I watched the video and I still think the Spyder has more luggage room. Been told the Spyder rides smoother, can't say much for that as I didn't have a comparison at the time. Probably don't get the handlebar shakes that the Goldwing trike gets at the slower speeds. Hey I'm learning though, thanks to you guys!
    all good points. Best thing now is to read, watch, test ride and listen. You'll do fine. Good luck

Spyder Garage

Have a 2013 for sale, it is a RT Limited with 3031 miles on it has had all brp upgrades done , it is in mint condition injured my back so unable to ride even with the air ride. take a look it is in the for sale on this forum. Enjoy the ride.

Spyder Garage

I don't think there is a dependability issue with the 998's, but there is a performance, and fuel economy, difference between them and the 1330's.
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Refined Cycle's BPE2 brake pedal extension.
    Pedal Box
    2013 RT Limited , Refined Cycle BPE2 White

Spyder Garage

My First spyder was a 2012 RTS-SE5 A/C. It ran well, then I traded up to my current spyder( 2014 RTS-SE6 the 1330 Ace Engine, low maintance, etc.).

Glad you could join us. We are here to help.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD